"Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

odie408

Ten Pointer
Invitation - Albemarle Peninsula Canid Management Information Session - Hosted by US Fish and Wildlife Service and NC Begin forwarded message: From: "Benjamin, Pete" Date: December 3, 2019 at 1:39:46 PM EST To: undisclosed-recipients:; Subject: Invitation - Albemarle Peninsula Canid Management Information Session - Hosted by US Fish and Wildlife Service and NC Wildlife Resources Commission The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission invite you to attend an informational meeting to learn about red wolf and coyote management activities on the Albemarle Peninsula. The meeting will be held at the Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center, 205 South Ludington Dr, Columbia, NC, from 7:00pm to 9:00pm on Tuesday December 10, 2019. There will be short presentations by representatives from the Service and Commission, followed by question and answer sessions. We hope to see you there. If you would like more information regarding red wolf and coyote management, but are unable to attend the informational meeting, please contact me or Joe Madison of the Service at 252-473-1132 x 245 or Brad Howard of the Commission at 919-707-0054.
My invitation must have got lost in the mail or cyber space.

jcsjr

Four Pointer
I didn't get the invite either, so will someone please ask the USF&W why they just put up a new energized wolf pen and have traps set all over the area that's open to the public for hunting? While they have plenty of land that they will not let the public go on. They caught one of our hounds last week and it was all that I could do to get the trap off the dog. SMH

odie408

Ten Pointer
I didn't get the invite either, so will someone please ask the USF&W why they just put up a new energized wolf pen and have traps set all over the area that's open to the public for hunting? While they have plenty of land that they will not let the public go on. They caught one of our hounds last week and it was all that I could do to get the trap off the dog. SMH
The traps are to catch coyotes for a study and the pen is there for wolf pairs to acclimate before release. Sounds like they are going to continue the already failed program at the hand of judge boyle and the woof pimps. Sounds like they know it's going to fail again but there hands are tied by boyle. Sounds like the definition of insanity.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like old "Roy" had to put in his 2cents:
Roy sees at chance at getting his greedy hands on federal dollars, he did the same thing when the hurricanes hit. His eyes light up at any chance to funnel money into his coffers and this particular scenario has been proven to be an easy target for federal dollars.

Jett

Ten Pointer
USFWS told us at a recent meeting that there were now ZERO breeding pairs of red wolves in NC. So after 33 years and 1 - 2 million dollars per year of expenses, the program that started with 4 breeding pairs of fake red wolves now has ZERO breeding pairs. What a colossal failure and waste of tax payer money! The very few remaining wolves are now paired up with coyotes. The program has NOT produced a "self sustaining population of red wolves". That was the measurable objective goal of this EXPERIMENT.

Pete Benjamin said he wanted to release more wolves here this spring. When he was asked by a NCWRC commissioner, what conditions are now different than when the other 132 wolves were released, Pete just gave a dumb blank stare across the room and finally admitted "nothing". Someone in the crowd helped him and told him the refuges were now under water and the remaining dry land was private land which USFWS did not have access to and this land was full of coyotes because of SELC, RWC, and DOW actions. Releasing more wolves in NC is futile at this point. USFWS needs to pull out of NC completely and focus on Texas and Louisiana where so called red wolves have recently been rediscovered. These wolves have survived with ZERO Federal dollars and protection. Heck, USFWS even tried to remove all of them and they still survived.

The USFWS and the so called "conservationists" have done more to harm the make believe "red wolf" than anyone else. The NC Governor needs to better educate himself before he speaks.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Wow, just woow. Anyone know this individual. Sounds like he has the GSMNP confused with the ARWR

Take 'em

Six Pointer
Bottom line, with USFWS and NGO's doing everything within their power to make the red wolf wannabees thrive in NE-NC, they have failed. While the same USFWS did everything it could to wipe out the few remaining red wolf wannabees in east Texas, and they are still there.

It isn't rocket science to see that the place for red wolf wannabees is east Texas.

Jett

Ten Pointer
USFWS Red Wolf Program Update:

After more than 30 years of efforts, there are now ZERO breeding pairs of red wolves in eastern NC.

Remember, the stated goal was a "self sustaining population". What a complete waste of tax payer money and a nefarious trampling of private landowner rights.

"Right now, there aren’t any established wolf couples looking to settle down in the den with the family. For the first time since red wolves were reintroduced to northeastern North Carolina, there were no documented wolves born in the wild in 2019, nor were there breeding pairs, according to Joe Madison, manager of the Red Wolf Recovery Program."

odie408

Ten Pointer
It cannot work if we don't allow usfws access to our land. If they can't get to the den or the placeholders it will tank fast.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
How about breeding woof/coyote pairs? The woof population is estimated at 20, any idea how many hybrids populate the area?

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That will be the next private landowner right taken away...

I don't think so, Jett. They just don't have the ability to enforce anything that will take precedent on landowner rights. Even if they did, they surely don't know my properties as well as I do.......;):taz:

Jett

Ten Pointer
Only a matter of time now since USFWS can't keep turning loose fresh recruits. No breeding pairs=no future in NC. Judge Boyle can't very well legislate that from the Bench.

Think again Take 'em...

USFWS just illegally released another fake red wolf in our State in December. I have it all documented and reported.

Pete Benjamin held a private "public" meeting a few months ago to let some people know of a new planned release of a Florida wolf into our State. I was not invited, but did attend. Pete was warned by me in this "public" meeting a few months ago not to trap a wolf in Florida and release it into NC without the proper Section 7 authorization, because the Florida wolf was not a member of the "non-essentiaL experimental population" of red wolves. Pete admitted in the meeting that the Section 7 authorization would be needed but it had not been secured yet.

Several weeks later, the "Conservationists" blabbed about the release of this Florida wolf in NC. I immediately asked Pete if he had obtained the required authorization to release this wolf as we had discussed in the public meeting. Pete refused to respond to me. I then sent a FOIA request to USFWS for the Section 7 authorization. This too was ignored.

After persistent pressure, USFWS finally released a garbage "Biological Assessment" full of their bogus copy and paste lies. Only one problem, it was dated many weeks after the wolf had been illegally trapped and released. It was also dated several weeks after my email to Pete requesting the Section 7.

Once again USFWS has completely ignored their very own ESA rules, even when I reminded them. Remember, during the WMI investigation just a few years ago, USFWS was reprimanded for illegally releasing approximately 120 wolves in our state without the proper Section 7 authorization. Apparently removing 120 wolves from the captive breeding program without authorization could have "bankrupted" it.

The unauthorized trapping and releasing of the Florida wolf is an "unauthorized take of an endangered species" as defined in the ESA. This is a very serious offense with some very serious cosequences for those individuals found guilty. I have reported this violation to USFWS as well as the NCWRC. Guess what - NO RESPONSE. I'm not done with USFWS regarding this issue yet. Will USFWS take action against their own? I doubt it, but lets watch....

I am tired of the red wolf rules being stripped of the private landowner protections that we were promised by USFWS. I am tired of the corrupt sue and settle tactics used by "conservation lawyers" and their bed buddies at USFWS trying to take my land to use for their failed bogus science experiment. I am tired of USFWS's failure to legally manage this program in our State. Now is the time to abolish this farce of a program from NC. Take the "Red Wolf" program back to Texas and Louisiana where the scam started when USFWS decided to play God.

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
Re: [EXTERNAL] USFWS FOIA Request: Section 7 Authorization for Florida red wolf trapping and release
To:Leopoldo_Miranda <Leopoldo_Miranda@fws.gov>
Cc:gordon.myers <gordon.myers@ncwildlife.org>; tiffany_mcclurkin <tiffany_mcclurkin@fws.gov>; larry_lee <larry_lee@fws.gov>; maritiza_harris <maritiza_harris@fws.gov>;
Date:Mon, Feb 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Mr. Miranda,

My request is withdrawn as I received the requested FOIA information on Friday, 2/14/2020. See attachment.

Please note. This wolf was trapped in Florida and released into North Carolina without the proper Section 7 authorization in place. The wolf was trapped and released prior to 1/7/2020. The Section 7 authorization was obtained on 1/22/2020 only after I requested the nonexistent Section 7 authorization from Pete Benjamin on 1/7/2020.

Pete Benjamin has quite a history of mismanaging this program which has now released over 120 wolves into our State without the required Federal authorizations. This has been well documented. What can be done to assure this will never happen again? I assume this action constitutes an unauthorized "take" of an endangered species. I am now officially reporting this violation of the ESA to you.

Can you or Director Myers tell me if the required NC permits and/or agreed upon State protocols were met for the release of this wolf into our State?

I am honestly simply trying to figure out why USFWS repeatedly refuses to obey their very on laws and regulations when it comes to this failed red wolf program in NC.

Sincerely,
Jett Ferebee
(252) 714-2774

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
USFWS FOIA Request: Section 7 Authorization for Florida red wolf trapping and release
To:sharneka_harvey <sharneka_harvey@fws.gov>
Cc:leopoldo_miranda <leopoldo_miranda@fws.gov>; gordon.myers <gordon.myers@ncwildlife.org>
Date:Thu, Feb 6, 2020 3:56 pm

Dear Ms. Harvey,

"The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recently moved a juvenile red wolf from Florida to the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge to try and create a new breeding pair with a resident female."

Since the only non-essential experimental population of red wolves is located in NC not Florida, a Section 7 authorization would be necessary to trap an endangered red wolf in Florida and then release it into an area which has an extremely low survival rate (eastern NC) for red wolves.

In a public meeting in January, I asked USFWS Pete Benjamin if he had a Section 7 authorization allowing him to relocate the above referenced red wolf. Pete said "No". I then asked him if a Section 7 authorization would be required. Pete said "Yes".

USFWS was recently reprimanded for releasing around 120 red wolves into NC without Section 7 authorization. I asked Pete in the below email to send me a copy of the Section 7 authorization for trapping and releasing the Florida red wolf and have received no reply.

Will you please provide me with the Section 7 authorization allowing USFWS to trap the endangered red wolf from Florida and then release it into eastern NC?

I would like this information in whatever format is most cost effective for the Service.
I am a private citizen and will pay the costs up to $1,000 without the need for you to ask my permission.
If I missed something please let me know.

Thanks,

Jett Ferebee

-----Original Message-----
To: pete_benjamin <pete_benjamin@fws.gov>
Cc: leopoldo_miranda <leopoldo_miranda@fws.gov>; gordon.myers <gordon.myers@ncwildlife.org>
Sent: Tue, Jan 7, 2020 10:27 am
Subject: Male red wolf moved to Alligator River NWR in hopes of creating breeding pair

https://obxtoday.com/top-stories/ma...river-nwr-in-hopes-of-creating-breeding-pair/

Pete,
If this in fact has occurred, will you please send me a copy of the Section 7 authorization please.
Thanks,
Jett

Jett

Ten Pointer
You're going to get as much response to this request as we have with all the others. There is the only one solution to this travesty.

Maybe so. I am just glad you are in this battle with me! Even with all of the USFWS illegal and corrupt efforts, our side is winning. :greenjump:

After more than 30 years of efforts, there are now ZERO breeding pairs of red wolves in eastern NC.

"Right now, there aren’t any established wolf couples looking to settle down in the den with the family. For the first time since red wolves were reintroduced to northeastern North Carolina, there were no documented wolves born in the wild in 2019, nor were there breeding pairs, according to Joe Madison, manager of the Red Wolf Recovery Program."

Status
Not open for further replies.