"Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Conman, you certainly could be correct. I was told by people who worked with her everyday that she made that same walk every morning early and that the dogs which they originally tried to pin it on walked with her a lot of the time. I suppose we'll never know for sure unless someone else gets attacked and doesn't die from it. Sort of unusual for a dog to try and eat someone though.
I’ve seen dogs that are the sweetest animals ever until you try to take away a bone or food. If she wandered up on them eating something it could have provoked them to attack.

odie408

Ten Pointer
I didn't see any place to comment on that site. But it can't work here anyway. They can't raise them fast enough to keep up with the mortality.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Excerpt from the Wildlands Networks web site (Bold comments added):

Red wolves (Canis rufus) are native to the eastern U.S. Due to decades of persecution and habitat degradation, red wolves were declared extinct in the wild in 1980—when the remaining wild wolves were brought into captivity. Seven years later, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) reintroduced red wolves to eastern North Carolina’s Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge. By 2006, the red wolf population had expanded to more than 130 individuals. (So how many wolves have been released cumulatively? More than 130?)

This success was short-lived, however, and the population has once again dwindled due to a surge in the number of wolves killed by humans. (I infer this means wolves running into cars?)

Red wolves play a vital role in regulating populations of deer. (All seven wolves? They must eat a lot)
Coyotes—even those having some wolf genes—do not appear to be filling the red wolf’s ecological niche. (Declared extinct in the wild - not much of a nich to fill. :stir: )

Jett

Ten Pointer
USFWS: Update to original story
Each one, much too important to lose

"Those words echoing again with news of yet two more roadway fatalities. More red wolves taken too soon.

On the heels of the death of red wolf 2216, two more wolves are now victims of roadway deaths this year. Four red wolves no longer part of the pack.

Recently released from an acclimation pen at Alligator River NWR, red wolves 2236, a male from the Wolf Conservation Center in New York, and 2310, a female from the Endangered Wolf Center in Missouri, were killed earlier this week."

I honestly think to release a zoo animal in a highway environment is such an inhumane act and truly is a disservice to any animal.

Last edited:

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You'd think NY and Missouri both have plenty of roads to train them fed puppies on. No excuse that they are not familiar with roads and motor vehicles. ;)

Jett

Ten Pointer
If each one is "too important to lose", why would USFWS continue a process that basically yields a 100% mortality rate?

$$$$$ for "conservationist" non profit groups, their attorneys, grant recipients, USFWS program participants and the list goes on and on....

Appears criminal to me and is likely a violation of the ESA.

Just wait til the libs with their silent, electric cars start taking them out! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are probably trying to find their way home. Roads, concrete and vehicles are much more familiar to these mutts than woods, fields and swamp.
Wearing their collars just assures them that they aren't " wild" and never will be.
Most dogs killed on the road are using it for a similar purpose, to find their way home.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
They are probably trying to find their way home. Roads, concrete and vehicles are much more familiar to these mutts than woods, fields and swamp.
Wearing their collars just assures them that they aren't " wild" and never will be.
Most dogs killed on the road are using it for a similar purpose, to find their way home.
The roads are pretty much the only dry ground. Most of the refuges are under water and they’re doing everything they can to flood the areas that aren’t.

Take 'em

Six Pointer
How can they be too important to lose, if they were pen raised and then turned loose to try and survive in the wild? Seems they were placed here in NC with the understanding they were "expendable" and not required for the "hybrid wolves" to survive in zoos.

Jett

Ten Pointer
FAILURE BY THE NUMBERS - Your tax dollars hard at work......
Seems like the biggest threat to a red wolf is being released outside of its native habitat - The Zoo.

Published May 28, 2021:​

"8 red wolves released into wild provide hope for critically endangered species"

A look at America’s most endangered wolf, and how this news is “a step in the right direction” for the species.
By Meaghan Mulholland
Published May 28, 2021

Fast forward 60 days later to July, 2021:

"In May 2021, USFWS released four adult red wolves into the Red Wolf Recovery Area and placed four captive born pups with a wild red wolf mother, bringing the wild population to 18 known red wolves. Tragically, one of the released females was found dead in June 2021, and four more wolves died in July 2021. As of July 2021, only 9 red wolves are known to remain in the wild.
Red wolves are protected as an endangered species under the Endangered Species Act and are classified as "critically endangered" on the International Union for Conservation of Nature's (IUCN) Red List.
As of July 2021, there are currently 9 known to remain in the wild in North Carolina."

https://nywolf.org/learn/red-wolf/

Last edited:

odie408

Ten Pointer
A real red wolf might could make it in todays world but I think they must have left out a few ingredients making up these hybrid mutts. They don't seem to adapt well outside the kernel.
At least 140 released so far and can only account for 9 now. Does that sound like a secessful self sustained population after a thirty + year experiment?
Keep em coming.

wRick

Four Pointer
You're only helping if you're doing this OUTSIDE the 5 county area. Coyote hunting inside the 5 county area is detrimental to the woofs, or so says judge Boyle. Not sure I understand this, but he's a judge, right? For the life of me, I can't understand how COYOTE hunting is a problem for an introduced critter, who's biggest threat is interbreeding with COYOTES. Maybe that's why I'm not on the bench
I think there are two arguments:

1. Sometimes people shoot red wolves by mistake.

2. Coyotes in the area were being sterilized to prevent interbreeding with red wolves (I don't know if they still are). So, killing a sterilized coyote opens the area for a non-sterilized coyote to move in and potentially interbreed.

Take 'em

Six Pointer
"I think there are two arguments:

1. Sometimes people shoot red wolves by mistake.

2. Coyotes in the area were being sterilized to prevent interbreeding with red wolves (I don't know if they still are). So, killing a sterilized coyote opens the area for a non-sterilized coyote to move in and potentially interbreed."

1) There are no red wolves. You can shoot a more coyote or less coyote hybrid. In this "woke" generation the Judge and NGO's may claim they are red wolves, but the facts say they are hybrids. I guess calling them red wolves is "their truth." Which is pretty much the same as calling a biological male a female.

2) The very idea of thinking that enough coyotes could be sterilized to prevent more cross-breeding goes hand in hand with this total denial of biological evidence in our fairy-tale culture.

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
Every adult red wolf that was released this year is now dead. All but one was killed by automobiles. That is a 100% mortality rate for this "highly sucessfull" program. SELC, Defenders of Wildlife and Red Wolf Coalition should be held responsible for each of these deaths. Their foolish pimping of this fake wolf to fund their "nonprofits" is obscene and cruel.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
2) The very idea of thinking that enough coyotes could be sterilized to prevent more cross-breeding goes hand in hand with this total denial of biological evidence in our fairy-tale culture.
If it were possible to capture enough coyotes and sterilize enough to keep from breeding; then why not just do it, and eradicate them? I know every coyote I capture gets "sterilized"

Status
Not open for further replies.