"Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
As far as them being native to NC or not, is a moot point. I tend to side with Dept of Interior map, since it was made long before any restoration efforts were underway. The point I wanted to make is; the small inset area of the map (Tx and La) IS NOT in dispute by anyone, and is where any restoration efforts should begin. Just the fact alone, that this was the last holdout population, shows that it probably has the best chance of success. Since the "woof" DNA is already there, the USFWS "should" encounter less public resistance, being that it is where all the original woofs came from. The only reason NC was chosen in the first place was the lack o f coyotes. Now that that is out the window, I can't think of any other place in the country that would be better than the "last holdout" area. If the adaptive method of coyote sterilization is even remotely possible, wouldn't it work just as well there as anywhere?

corapeake

Eight Pointer
Cooper needs to go. 1575088098545.jpg1575088118842.jpg1575088136346.jpg
f62723f18aa6f8237fef2c7b37acd716.jpg
676f86783219b08e6f9a5d1df8caad21.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 1575088098603.jpg
    1575088098603.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Cooper needs to go. View attachment 36853View attachment 36854View attachment 36855
f62723f18aa6f8237fef2c7b37acd716.jpg
676f86783219b08e6f9a5d1df8caad21.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Agreed that Cooper needs to go.

Is 'Ol Roy really naive enough to believe there is a way to block Darwinism? How exactly is the coyote sterilization initiative supposed to work? Would an aggressive coyote trap and kill initiative be as good (if not better) and less expensive? Oh yea, I almost forgot the Animal Rights crowd has to be catered to....

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Coyote sterilization program? Don't coyotes look a lot like wolves?
Exactly my point! Earlier in this thread it has been noted that even the government biologists have difficulty telling coyote from woof. What a cluster the sterilization program would be...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
coyote sterilization,,,,like coyote lives don't matter,,,,

cracks me up,,,,man playing God,,,,species go extinct,,,have for eons,,,or centuries,,,depending on your outlook on such things,,,

Having been actively stalked by a Red Wolf on public game land in Davie County - I know from experiene that they have to go. I was able to finally shake this critter after about an hour once he got within 40 yards. I had to actually charge him. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to ever get a clear shot with my 12 GA slug or it would have been a non issue. Needless to say I quickly left those woods.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Having been actively stalked by a Red Wolf on public game land in Davie County - I know from experiene that they have to go. I was able to finally shake this critter after about an hour once he got within 40 yards. I had to actually charge him. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to ever get a clear shot with my 12 GA slug or it would have been a non issue. Needless to say I quickly left those woods.
Davie County is "a fur piece" from the red woof restocking debacle area. I'm not saying travel that far is impossible... although unlikely. Coyotes and red woofs look very similar. How did you determine this was a red woof?

Davie County is "a fur piece" from the red woof restocking debacle area. I'm not saying travel that far is impossible... although unlikely. Coyotes and red woofs look very similar. How did you determine this was a red woof?

Research here for among others: https://www.fws.gov/southeast/wildlife/mammals/red-wolf/

Its size: about 90 pounds. I would say larger than a German Shepard.
Its broad head, large virtical ears and broad shoulders.
The size of its tracks.

Not at all afraid to let me know it was there. Coyotes are cowards. Even in a pack they tend to run away.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Please don't get me wrong, but Davie County is a long way from where the red wolves are. Could it have been a coyote? I used to see them around Mocksville when I was running the area for Fedex, some big ones too. The two animals are similar looking. I know they sometimes disperse, but that is 200 plus miles. Could have been a coydog too.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Please don't get me wrong, but Davie County is a long way from where the red wolves are. Could it have been a coyote? I used to see them around Mocksville when I was running the area for Fedex, some big ones too. The two animals are similar looking. I know they sometimes disperse, but that is 200 plus miles. Could have been a coydog too.

Just because the feds report the given location of these damn things, it doesn't mean that they have not released them elsewhere on federal and private properties without the knowledge or consent of the public.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Just because the feds report the given location of these damn things, it doesn't mean that they have not released them elsewhere on federal and private properties without the knowledge or consent of the public.
Tell me something. You really believe that? Not that I trust everything the government does. But looks like they would be setting themselves up for lawsuits.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And the majority of folks I talk to that have never had their hands on a coyote have absolutely no clue how big they are based on visual observation. Heck, some that have had their hands on them still have no idea what they weigh. They are just guessing. I would like to see some of these 90 lb. whatevers on an accurate scale.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
What are you trying to say? Never heard of that bunch of people. I like big cats in the genus Panthera and that is why I chose the name.Pure coincidence!

odie408

Ten Pointer
Anyone here have any information about the meeting Tuesday night in Columbia? I must have heard something wrong. I heard they want to take hybrids to SC to breed and then return. I don't know if they are talking pure hybrids or mixed hybrids .

newlake

Four Pointer
Invitation - Albemarle Peninsula Canid Management Information Session - Hosted by US Fish and Wildlife Service and NC Begin forwarded message: From: "Benjamin, Pete" Date: December 3, 2019 at 1:39:46 PM EST To: undisclosed-recipients:; Subject: Invitation - Albemarle Peninsula Canid Management Information Session - Hosted by US Fish and Wildlife Service and NC Wildlife Resources Commission The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission invite you to attend an informational meeting to learn about red wolf and coyote management activities on the Albemarle Peninsula. The meeting will be held at the Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center, 205 South Ludington Dr, Columbia, NC, from 7:00pm to 9:00pm on Tuesday December 10, 2019. There will be short presentations by representatives from the Service and Commission, followed by question and answer sessions. We hope to see you there. If you would like more information regarding red wolf and coyote management, but are unable to attend the informational meeting, please contact me or Joe Madison of the Service at 252-473-1132 x 245 or Brad Howard of the Commission at 919-707-0054.

Status
Not open for further replies.