"Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do not understand why since it failed there in the past, why make the same mistake twice?

Due to it being all about the money? Has very little, if any, to do with any restoration project (which could easily be argued) as much as it has to do with padding bank accounts. The entire project has turned out to be a total scam of the residents of our state.

odie408

Ten Pointer
"They say" but for some reason they had to destroy a lot of hybrid pups from the best of what they started with.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How about them not being native here? That's in the thread too.

The things that are here now and what they will introduce anywhere were created at PDZ in Tacoma, Wash. Thus it can't be "native" to anywhere. Do your own research if you don't believe the info provided in the thread. Start with the stud book and work your way through.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
The things that are here now and what they will introduce anywhere were created at PDZ in Tacoma, Wash. Thus it can't be "native" to anywhere. Do your own research if you don't believe the info provided in the thread. Start with the stud book and work your way through.
I will do better than the studbook..There are historical records of bounties paid for the killing of these wolves dating back to 1748, from nearly every county in the state. Once again I say, I am NOT in favor of the program. I just want the facts to be told.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I will do better than the studbook..There are historical records of bounties paid for the killing of these wolves dating back to 1748, from nearly every county in the state. Once again I say, I am NOT in favor of the program. I just want the facts to be told.

you mixing apples and oranges,,,

some wolves being here back in 1748 doesn't mean what was developed and introduced here in NC was that animal - thus why Mike Noles referred you to the studbook

but go ahead,,,,use your facts alone

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

"Better than the studbook..."?? Good grief. There's no such thing better for the animal here today. The historical records are bounties paid for an eastern wolf that has long been extinct.. There's not one single bit of archeological or genetic proof that the true red wolf (the one declared extinct in the wild in 1980) EVER existed or was native to eastern NC. Carry on with your quest for the truth and facts.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
you mixing apples and oranges,,,

some wolves being here back in 1748 doesn't mean what was developed and introduced here in NC was that animal - thus why Mike Noles referred you to the studbook

but go ahead,,,,use your facts alone
The question was the red wolf endemic here. That answer is yes. The hybrids they tried to introduce as purebred do not belong, true. But it is there in the thread saying the red wolf wasn't native, when in fact it was. A bogus map was even shown there.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
But it is there in the thread saying the red wolf wasn't native, when in fact it was. A bogus map was even shown there.
Bogus why? Don't you understand it was necessary for them to change the map to accommodate 1987?

5921-f758b69ee8f482e069f515545652cc77[1].jpg

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
"Better than the studbook..."?? Good grief. There's no such thing better for the animal here today. The historical records are bounties paid for an eastern wolf that has long been extinct.. There's not one single bit of archeological or genetic proof that the true red wolf (the one declared extinct in the wild in 1980) EVER existed or was native to eastern NC. Carry on with your quest for the truth and facts.

So what species of wolf was native to eastern NC?

Many deer, turkeys, beavers and other animals released in NC aren't the "native species" that was originally found here.

Florida and the US Government released some Texas panthers to breed with the remaining native cats to boost the gene pool. So far its working.

Elk released in NC aren't considered the same elk that were originally found here but people don't care.

An elk is an elk. A wolf is a wolf. A deer is a deer to many people.

They serve the same ecological function?

The problem is the animals being released are not true wolves and not surviving.

Yellowstone has been a success. Alligator River has not.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
I am. This Parkinsons I am getting makes it hard to type, so give me time to respond. Thanks.
Somebody mentioned beavers. There is only one species of beaver, and they are NC natives. One deer species, our native white tailed. The eastern elk is gone. These released are a related subspecies, the Manitoban elk.
Turkey populations were augmented by outside birds.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Beavers came from Wisconsin to restock NC.

Deer also came from outside sources to augment the deer population in NC.

Not every animal running around NC is the native "subspecies"

Aythya

Eight Pointer
"The question was the red wolf endemic here."

I believe the word you were grasping for was " indigenous". If they were endemic to a particular habitat a couple of centuries ago, well that's gone now and even a better reason to end this silly reintroduction program.

Take 'em

Six Pointer
It would appear some can't see the forest for the trees. The modern day hybridized red wolf was not native to NC. Try to understand that when they had culled down over 400 animals to get the "perfect" 14 red wolves that made up the "founders" their first offspring were euthanized because they were obviously hybrids. A 100% red wolf mated with another 100% red wolf can't produce a hybrid, and thus their gene pool was tainted and could never produce anything more than hybrids with some "looking like" what biologists thought a red wolf should look like. It is impossible for that blood line to produce a true red wolf as it will always have coyote DNA in large proportion.

Status
Not open for further replies.