Red tail squirrel?

klim

Twelve Pointer
This picture was taken at the shop where I work. Any of you guys ever seen one? It’s body almost had a red tint to it also. I’ve seen fox squirrels but nothing like this one.

Attachments

• 46F11ED2-8A59-4864-86EE-04DE683BD130.jpeg
    46F11ED2-8A59-4864-86EE-04DE683BD130.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yes,,,I've seen them with almost white tails,,,,cool looking,,,not sure what causes it besides genetics

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He identifies as a red wolf but he's still got a skirl facade, he's now got his own signs on the highways and isn't part of the plain ol' skirl group. He's free to do as he chooses until some smart a$$ hawk who doesn't realize he's a red wolf swoops down and has him for lunch.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
i have seen some, never been able to get a good picture. Wondered if it was a summer time thing.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This picture was taken at the shop where I work. Any of you guys ever seen one? It’s body almost had a red tint to it also. I’ve seen fox squirrels but nothing like this one.
Interesting timing of your post...saw similar looking gray squirrel here in the back yard last week (NW Wake County)...sort of a light orange-ish/red-ish color tail...by the time I scrambled to get a camera it had moved on through...hope to get a shot if it shows up again. Searched the Internet, didn't find any specific reason, only that they can have varying color tails.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Used to be gray squirrel in Smithfield that had a bright red tail. We used to watch it but one day it got run over. I took it to a taxidermist and he would not mount it. I should have froze it until hunting season.

ncnat

Ten Pointer
I've killed several like that from a patch of woods in the Uwharries. Never seen then like anywhere else.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Maybe the greys are getting crossed up with the Western squirrels which show a lot of red. The way society is pushing diversity these days maybe the animal kingdom is trying to keep up.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
We have a gray squirrel running around the house with a red tail. Nobody believed me, until they saw it.