Red Dot problems...

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I picked up a Sig Romeo5 off Amazon in "Used but New Condition" last November. Up until now it's never failed but today I can't get the red dot to activate now no matter what I do. I've changed batteries 4 different times. It's less than a year old, should I contact Sig about the problem? Think they'll warranty it?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They'll most likely make it good.

Unfortunately, the failure rate with a disproportionate number of "mini" red-dot sights from most makers is as common as dirt with some applications .... handguns particularly. The only brands that even approach being truly "reliable" are Aimpoint and some of Trijicon's offerings.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks but I'm thinking the novelty of the red dot has worn off. Probably go with a scout-style scope of some sort. I don't need a huge amount of magnification for the intended use, just something compact and reliable that holds zero...

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

“J”

Twelve Pointer
Thanks but I'm thinking the novelty of the red dot has worn off. Probably go with a scout-style scope of some sort. I don't need a huge amount of magnification for the intended use, just something compact and reliable that holds zero...
I’d still get a replacement and then sell it to offset the cost of what you’re looking for. Good luck.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I know of a guy that's a prolific shooter with a deep pocket. He buys everything in multiples of like six to ten. The only mini-RDS that has proven reliable (when actually used to some extent) is Trijicon and Aimpoint offerings. Even Leupold's sight was puking on a regular basis.

Generally speaking, the technology in mini red-dots has a ways to go before they can be trusted for any critical application. But having just said that, if recreational shooting is the only application, then just get one from a maker with a good reputation for replacing them when they give problems. I understand that Vortex is one of the best in this regard.

Here's another option; If you can live with a tube-type red-dot (1' or 30mm), Ultradot has a very solid reputation for reliability and durability ... and they're not expensive by any means. The tube-type sights just aren't super small and they require scope rings & mounts.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?
Nikon 2/7/32... less than $100.
I have them on every AR and a couple 22s.
Can shoot both eyes open on 2x, and 7x is good enough to pump one I good ways off

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Supposedly Holosun is making them for Sig or at least that it was I was told by a Sig dealer. Doubt they would repair but might replace the unit. If you run a red dot it should be an Aimpoint.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, it seems to be working fine now for some reason but I gotta do something. I love the optic but I won't have something on any of my weapons that I don't feel like I can depend on.