Red Chile Peppers

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Now that I've made my first batch of hot sauce from fermented cayenne peppers, I'm hooked on this new hobby. The results turned out great. The problem I have now is finding fresh peppers for my next batch. I don't want to wait until about August when I'll have my own peppers to use.

Does anyone know where I can buy them locally? Locally is Apex, Cary, and Holly Springs. I don't really want to drive to Zebulon or Chapel Hill. The closest I've found are red hot chile peppers at Harris Teeter which look like shorter red jalapenos. I looked at H Mart and Compare Foods. They like to carry more dried peppers than fresh peppers. The fresh peppers they carry are green ones like serranos and jalapenos. I can use them if I can't find red ones. I just like the red color of the final product.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Now that I've made my first batch of hot sauce from fermented cayenne peppers, I'm hooked on this new hobby. The results turned out great. The problem I have now is finding fresh peppers for my next batch. I don't want to wait until about August when I'll have my own peppers to use.

Does anyone know where I can buy them locally? Locally is Apex, Cary, and Holly Springs. I don't really want to drive to Zebulon or Chapel Hill. The closest I've found are red hot chile peppers at Harris Teeter which look like shorter red jalapenos. I looked at H Mart and Compare Foods. They like to carry more dried peppers than fresh peppers. The fresh peppers they carry are green ones like serranos and jalapenos. I can use them if I can't find red ones. I just like the red color of the final product.
You may want to check with the Mexican flea markets nearby. They seem to carry a decent supply of peppers and chili's in their produce vendors.

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer

I made my first batch as well. Got inspired by hank Shaw. I was just looking last week and you can make it from dried chilis and use raw sauerkraut juice or some of your previous hot sauce as a starter. Here’s the article I read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
How did your first batch work out?

Interest about kraut. I had two jars of cabbage fermenting for about a month now. If I tried dried peppers, I could use some kraut brine.

I have found fresh peppers called red hot chili peppers. If I go green, I found thai chile and serrano peppers.

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
How did your first batch work out?

Interest about kraut. I had two jars of cabbage fermenting for about a month now. If I tried dried peppers, I could use some kraut brine.

I have found fresh peppers called red hot chili peppers. If I go green, I found thai chile and serrano peppers.

It’s good! I made a VERY small batch with a few cayenne and ghost peppers I had around. It was end of season but I plan to grow a larger variety next year. You could always just buy a blend of whatever you can find and give half of them a little cool smoke before fermenting and saucing? Might still need the starter but it would make for depth in the sauce I bet. Heck, I might go that route myself!!!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I’ll share this post with my wife. She grows a lot of varieties and makes some killer sauce. She’s addicted to making it and I’m addicted to putting it on everything . Love frying some eggs in the morning and Topping them off with homemade hot sauce to wake me up

Voodoo

Button Buck
I’ve grown some before. I never have luck with peppers, but I bet you I pulled off 1,000 peppers off two plants

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer

There was a vendor at the farmers market that grew them in a green house and sold them year round, but with covid im not even sure if the farmers market has been operating like normal. Look up Bohica pepper company or pucker butt seed company and buy some seeds to grow inside. All you need is a couple of plants grown inside during the winter like a house plant and you ll have plenty for making small batches of sauce. Of course that involves providing artificial lighting and a way to water without making a mess.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think growing inside is an option for me. I'm surprised my house plants are alive with all the neglect they receive.