Recommended Arkansas guide?

deepbreath

Six Pointer
I am looking to take my sons on a duck hunting trip. I know nothing about duck hunting but they talk about how the duck population is no comparison in Arkansas to here. If any of you guys could recommend a guide out there I’d sure appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I think you’ll get mixed feelings on Arkansas. Yeah, it makes for good TV but honestly, west TN and Missouri are just as good and maybe a skosh more dependable.
Arkansas included, a lot of reputable good guides are already booked solid for this upcoming season.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I am looking to take my sons on a duck hunting trip. I know nothing about duck hunting but they talk about how the duck population is no comparison in Arkansas to here. If any of you guys could recommend a guide out there I’d sure appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
When do you plan to go? Thanksgiving 2018 i met up with my son (he was loving in Texas at the time) to hunt 2 days near Stuttgart. It was a "should have been here last week" (or come back next week) deal. I killed 1 Specklebelly. But did see some awesome waterfowl populations. Our outfitter warned us that the birds had departed and offered to move out our hunt dates but our son's vacation schedule was fixed/rigid. We didn't have great opportunities but it wasn't the outfitter or guide's fault--they were very forthright. Ivory Bill Lodge. PM me if you want more details.

deepbreath

Six Pointer
I think you’ll get mixed feelings on Arkansas. Yeah, it makes for good TV but honestly, west TN and Missouri are just as good and maybe a skosh more dependable.
Arkansas included, a lot of reputable good guides are already booked solid for this upcoming season.

I was thinking good guides may be booked but I was hoping I might could get in on a cancellation. Thanks for the input, maybe I’ll look into west tn

deepbreath

Six Pointer
When do you plan to go? Thanksgiving 2018 i met up with my son (he was loving in Texas at the time) to hunt 2 days near Stuttgart. It was a "should have been here last week" (or come back next week) deal. I killed 1 Specklebelly. But did see some awesome waterfowl populations. Our outfitter warned us that the birds had departed and offered to move out our hunt dates but our son's vacation schedule was fixed/rigid. We didn't have great opportunities but it wasn't the outfitter or guide's fault--they were very forthright. Ivory Bill Lodge. PM me if you want more details.
We would ideally like to go right after Christmas or before. I don’t know enough about ducks if that’s good or bad. But again ideally that would be the best time frame

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
We would ideally like to go right after Christmas or before. I don’t know enough about ducks if that’s good or bad. But again ideally that would be the best time frame
Arkansas is packed as it is, its even more packed the week between Christmas and New Years. Theres a reason they call it goober week. As far as outfitters go, look up Arkansas County guide service. If theres birds around Chad will have them.

If its just a few of you I would look at going to Reelfoot, it would be alot easier hunt. Look up Mike Newsom.

Either way you go pray for weather.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Right after Christmas is normally not bad but it’s all weather dependent. I’m normally out there the whole first season and right after Christmas for awhile and some in January it’s different every year. As far as guides I would see if Cadillac creek had any openings left I know the boy running their operation in Arkansas and if theirs ducks to be killed he will make it happen.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Do not be surprised if you hunt for two days without pulling a trigger. You have to catch it right. I would not recommend booking with an out of state freelance guide. Stick with local Outfitters that own property. Specifically tell your guide if you want to hunt timber. Hope you timing is on with the migration.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Thanks in advance.

Your sons are right, no comparison in the number of ducks to NC, however that doesn’t mean you can’t find local quality guides here that can put you on birds. Now, if they’re looking for mallard timber hunts, by all means then go west young man. There’s a litany of hunting styles here ( scissor’s rig, curtain blind, layout boat, box blind, etc.) that are not only fun and effective but also provide an experience you won’t find there.

There are a lot of people on here that know and can provide names of guides they recommend. But like any good guide, they have a lot of repeat business and book early so getting a certain two days might be tough. Regardless, best to get on the horn now.

Best of luck ....

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Your sons are right, no comparison in the number of ducks to NC, however that doesn’t mean you can’t find local quality guides here that can put you on birds. Now, if they’re looking for mallard timber hunts, by all means then go west young man. There’s a litany of hunting styles here ( scissor’s rig, curtain blind, layout boat, box blind, etc.) that are not only fun and effective but also provide an experience you won’t find there.

There are a lot of people on here that know and can provide names of guides they recommend. But like any good guide, they have a lot of repeat business and book early so getting a certain two days might be tough. Regardless, best to get on the horn now.

Best of luck ....

I tell everyone I know that hasnt done it that they should experience a curtain blind hunt at least once in their lifetime.

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
I went to Arkansas a few times in the late 90's early 2000's. I freelanced on public WMA's and was able to meet some locals who hooked me up with buddies who had property near DeWitt south of Stugartt . I ended up making some good friends and went back to hunt with them other times. Arkansas was fun but I don't think it is today what it was then. I also doubt you will be able to get the help now since so many OSS hunters have burned bridges with the locals. The SC crowd has really done a great job at this. I have moved on and Arkansas is now on my been there done that list.