Recommendation for getting my son started

tk26

Six Pointer
My son ( soon to be 5 ) wants a bow. He doesn't want a toy, he wants something that he can shoot with me into a target. The problem is draw weight. Most of what I'm finding is 15lb minimum, and I'm not sure he is strong enough to pull that back. I know we could go with a recurve, but would rather get him a compound ( I think he would like that better). Anyone have any experience with the Diamond Atomic. They say it will get down to 6lbs. That seems to be the best option at this point. Any other recommendations or ideas? Thoughts on whats best getting him started?

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
You are on the right page, mass weight will be an issue also, but you have to start somewhere

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Mike Mecredy at Maddog Archery in Nevada can make him a Pup longbow (48") or recurve to meet his needs. Mass weight will not be an issue so he should be able to hold it up easily to shoot. Mike can make it any pound pull you want. $110 shipped for a custom made bow. He makes a 36" model as well. It is $100 shipped.

http://www.maddogarchery.com

If you buy him a bow I can make him some wood arrows. No charge on the arrows, just pay postage. I am in Asheboro.

yes2matt

Button Buck
I have a similar request, my 7 yo is getting a bow for Christmas. My dad taught me to shoot a long time ago, bit he wasn't a great shot himself. ;)

Is there a really good book, or series of youtubes, to teach target technique? So he can start off right , and maybe I can restart right.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Where are you located, Matt? Videos are not the best teachers. A local mentor who has good form and communication skills is much better.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Mike Mecredy at Maddog Archery in Nevada can make him a Pup longbow (48") or recurve to meet his needs. Mass weight will not be an issue so he should be able to hold it up easily to shoot. Mike can make it any pound pull you want. $110 shipped for a custom made bow. He makes a 36" model as well. It is $100 shipped.

http://www.maddogarchery.com

If you buy him a bow I can make him some wood arrows. No charge on the arrows, just pay postage. I am in Asheboro.

x2 on Maddog Archery....

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Come to our monthly shoot this Jan 6th

www.thecta.org

First time visitors shoot and eat for free. Bring your son. We have bows, arrows, gloves, and armguards for you and him. We are on the north side of Conover not far off hwy 16.

Nomad

Button Buck
I have a 3.5 year old and draw weight isn't as big of an issue as length. I would try to measure his draw length and make sure the bow you want will work.

yes2matt

Button Buck
Come to our monthly shoot this Jan 6th

www.thecta.org

First time visitors shoot and eat for free. Bring your son. We have bows, arrows, gloves, and armguards for you and him. We are on the north side of Conover not far off hwy 16.
I'll try and make it. Is it every month?

yes2matt

Button Buck
@Bud B. I tried to PM you but I don't have permission in the system.

Are y'all shooting this Sat 2/3? I'm intending to bring up my two oldest. I have another friend from Charlotte here who "maybe" will come along.

What should we bring?

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I have a 3.5 year old and draw weight isn't as big of an issue as length. I would try to measure his draw length and make sure the bow you want will work.

^^^This. Draw length will be the issue. I recommend a recurve. You should get one too. :)

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
My son ( soon to be 5 ) wants a bow. He doesn't want a toy, he wants something that he can shoot with me into a target. The problem is draw weight. Most of what I'm finding is 15lb minimum, and I'm not sure he is strong enough to pull that back. I know we could go with a recurve, but would rather get him a compound ( I think he would like that better). Anyone have any experience with the Diamond Atomic. They say it will get down to 6lbs. That seems to be the best option at this point. Any other recommendations or ideas? Thoughts on whats best getting him started?

I've never seen the Diamond Atomic, but Diamond usually makes pretty good stuff, especially for that level shooter.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I have a similar request, my 7 yo is getting a bow for Christmas. My dad taught me to shoot a long time ago, bit he wasn't a great shot himself. ;)

Is there a really good book, or series of youtubes, to teach target technique? So he can start off right , and maybe I can restart right.

If you go the traditional route, "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson is a great read. It's still very interesting even if you don't shoot recurve/longbow. I've yet to come across a book that I really thought was a "go-to" for shooting a compound. There's tons of videos on youtube, but youtube is the video version of Wikipedia. Anyone can post a video, and as a result, there's just as much bad info out there as there is good. That being said, there's really no 100% step by step method of becoming a good shooter. Learn the fundamentals and develop a system that works for you. For example, trying to choke your bow with your support hand will probably lead to inconsistent shots. But whether you point all five fingers at the target, wrap your thumb and pointer finger, or grip the bow with all fingers loosely wrapped is all personal preference.

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
@Bud B. I tried to PM you but I don't have permission in the system.

Are y'all shooting this Sat 2/3? I'm intending to bring up my two oldest. I have another friend from Charlotte here who "maybe" will come along.

What should we bring?

I apologize for not seeing this Matt. Glad you made it to CTA's shoot. Please visit our Facebook page and the NC Traditional page for traditional archery info and future events.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheCTA/?ref=group_header

https://m.facebook.com/groups/397093367116839/

It was nice meeting you and Justice.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I'm in Charlotte, on the Mint Hill side.

HI Matt, welcome to the forum. I live in Mint Hill also ( off of Brief road) . I have 3 youth bows that you can try out if you would like. Two are Bear long bow style bows, VERY low weight and then I have the youth bear compound bow that is great to learn a compound on....20-30lb draw or something like that.......can shoot in my backyard, plenty of room. I might take my oldest squirrel hunting this weekend in the uwharries ( depending on weather) ..... if you wanted to go you are more than welcome.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you're considering the traditional route I gotta say, my go-to for learning form(and a lot of other great info) has been the Masters of the Barebow series of DVDs. They're available through Lancaster Archery and contain tips and tutorials by world champion archers, coaches, legends, and icons in traditional archery today.
Form is the most important tool in your bag and without a good base in form you'll likely get frustrated. Some experts go so far as to say "you don't shoot arrows, you shoot form....."

yes2matt

Button Buck
HI Matt, welcome to the forum. I live in Mint Hill also ( off of Brief road) . I have 3 youth bows that you can try out if you would like. Two are Bear long bow style bows, VERY low weight and then I have the youth bear compound bow that is great to learn a compound on....20-30lb draw or something like that.......can shoot in my backyard, plenty of room. I might take my oldest squirrel hunting this weekend in the uwharries ( depending on weather) ..... if you wanted to go you are more than welcome.
This is very generous. I'd love to meet and shoot with you. We are engaged this weekend. I can't PM on this board (maybe cause I'm new) but my email address is my username here at yahoo. Let's get together. I have a few acres maybe you can make suggestions on setting up a short course.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
This is very generous. I'd love to meet and shoot with you. We are engaged this weekend. I can't PM on this board (maybe cause I'm new) but my email address is my username here at yahoo. Let's get together. I have a few acres maybe you can make suggestions on setting up a short course.

Sounds like a plan. I will send an email this evening or this weekend with my personal info and we can get together with the kids. Look forward to it!

yes2matt

Button Buck
If you go the traditional route, "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson is a great read. It's still very interesting even if you don't shoot recurve/longbow. I've yet to come across a book that I really thought was a "go-to" for shooting a compound. There's tons of videos on youtube, but youtube is the video version of Wikipedia. Anyone can post a video, and as a result, there's just as much bad info out there as there is good. That being said, there's really no 100% step by step method of becoming a good shooter. Learn the fundamentals and develop a system that works for you. For example, trying to choke your bow with your support hand will probably lead to inconsistent shots. But whether you point all five fingers at the target, wrap your thumb and pointer finger, or grip the bow with all fingers loosely wrapped is all personal preference.
Ordered it. Thanks.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got my son the lil Brave. I think it goes down to 15lbs.

We picked up a big 3d turkey target at Tractor Supply this weekend for $25.

yes2matt

Button Buck
A friend's idea: I got a medium sized stuffed gorilla for $2 or 3 at Goodwill, used a can of Great Stuff, $7 I think, to replace the stuffing in the main body.

Boy loves it. "That's one dead gorilla"

If you try it, give at least 2 days to cure, 3 would be better.