Recommend a Meat Grinder

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I'm looking for a meat grinder for venison. I don't need a big unit or super-heavy duty to be used every week...just a decent smaller unit that is stainless and works as advertised for simple home use.

Recommendations?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I have a Waring Pro. Bought it thinking one day I would upgrade, it's been 13 years and I have the same one.

FlyingBison

Button Buck
Cabelas deluxe. $129. Used it the past 2 seasons. I’ve put about 40 pounds of venison through it mixed with some bacon. Works like a charm. Easy clean out. I keep it simple because we use so much ground but they also sell all the attachments for sausage, pepper sticks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have a 1 hp cabelas carnivore grinder. Its probably more than you want to spend. But it just works and never stops. I also have the waring model bwfarms mentioned. It works too....just have to make sure you cube the meat into smaller chunks.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I’ve been using the $100 amazon special “Turboforce XT” for over 5 years...

Bought more for friends...
Grind about 100# per season.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Our family has both the 1/2 and 1 HP predecessors to the Cabela's carnivore. It used to be called Cabela's commercial grade. We have steak attachments for them also. They work well, and honestly, I don't see that much difference between them. The main difference is the chute is bigger on the 1 HP and therefore you can feed it a little faster with bigger pieces.

Cabelas and LEM are both top of the line but expensive. I have no doubt a better deal could be found from a no-name brand. Just make sure gears and parts are all SS and not plastic. You're probably paying more for durability and not performance with the name brands.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Good advice from everyone....thanks.

Sounds like for simple home use to only use a few times per year a cheaper model may be my best option. Amazon still has the TurboForce STX model for about 100 bucks w/ free shipping. May be my best option.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I have a 1 hp cabelas carnivore grinder. Its probably more than you want to spend. But it just works and never stops. I also have the waring model bwfarms mentioned. It works too....just have to make sure you cube the meat into smaller chunks.

My wife and I are looking into the carnivore. Want to move a size or two up. Looking to get back into grinding deer and I’ve ran across a deal on some weaned pigs and looking to do most of that into sausage.
Do you think there’d be any big loss of power in the 3/4 hp instead of the 1hp???

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Another vote for cabelas 1hp...got the reverse switch and foot control....never used either one....i can grind or stuff sausage....also added meat mixer and cuber attachment....ive used them alot....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do you think there’d be any big loss of power in the 3/4 hp instead of the 1hp???

It's all about the speed you want to get it done. Kinda like asking if a 30 HP tractor will work fine instead of a 40HP.

The chute size is matched to the power. The 3/4 will do the same job as the 1HP, just take a little longer. Is the extra speed worth 25% more$?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My wife and I are looking into the carnivore. Want to move a size or two up. Looking to get back into grinding deer and I’ve ran across a deal on some weaned pigs and looking to do most of that into sausage.

I would guess the 3/4 horse would do just fine. Remember pork is tougher than deer so don't over do it. The engine is more than strong enough to twist off the square head that screws into the auger if you put to much tough pig shoulder down there. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I would guess the 3/4 horse would do just fine. Remember pork is tougher than deer so don't over do it. The engine is more than strong enough to twist off the square head that screws into the auger if you put to much tough pig shoulder down there. Ask me how I know.

How do you know? :p

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Mine is either a 2/3hp or 3/4 hp.

It grinds faster than my wife can package, so that's fast enough for me ;)

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I have the 1/2hp Cabelas model that is not the carnivore. I think it sells in the 219-199 range. It does everything I need to and more. I have the freezer pack attachment for the neck but it doesn’t fit perfect. I’ve been considering selling and getting a 3/4hp because I’m using it more and for a lot more pork (and hopefully a bear this year). If you’re interested PM me.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought an Amazon special that was supposedly dishwasher safe. I always hand wash it but my wife threw it in the dishwasher. The plating came off and it was unusable after that.

damarshall7

Four Pointer
I had a dedicated grinder but I now just use my kitchenaid mixer with the grinding attachment. cheap easy and one less gadget to keep in the pantry.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone use a Kitchenaid Stand mixer attachment?
I've used one before to grind for sausage and to grind small roasts to burger, but never for a whole deer. It would be a slow process and those Kitchen Aid mixers aren't cheap, I'd hate to burn ours up on a deer.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I've used one before to grind for sausage and to grind small roasts to burger, but never for a whole deer. It would be a slow process and those Kitchen Aid mixers aren't cheap, I'd hate to burn ours up on a deer.
Thanks...looking at it I think you'd burn the attachment up first but I could be wrong.

damarshall7

Four Pointer
I've done whole deer with it. It didn't take any longer than the small stand alone unit i used to have. I have beat my mixer to death grinding, making sausage, making pasta, kneading bread, etc and have never had it miss a beat. My dad uses a 40 year old kitchen aid for the same and has never had a problem. I would recommend it without hesitation unless you were planning on grinding 4 or 5 deer at a time.

Good thing about the kitchen aid is that i can quickly grind single serving burgers fresh quickly. I freeze a lot of my meat as whole muscle and then just pull out enough to grind for the recipe I'm making. Have you ever noticed how much juice runs off from a package of pre-ground frozen venison? If you grind from the whole muscle just prior to cooking, you end up with a much juicier, fresher tasting meat. Grab a chuck roast from the store and grind it and compare it to a pack of pre ground chuck. Huge difference. With the kitchen aid, it only takes a couple minutes to set up and grind, and everything but the blades are dishwasher safe.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I just got one of the kitchenaid grinders and really like it. I deboned both front legs, mixed the meat with bacon and ground it into sausage, went well and was easy to clean, plus doesn’t take up a lot of cabinet space. 100x better than the hand crank grinder I had that turned it all into pink paste.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I have a sum line? (Not at home now). Probably a 100$ amazon special. It’s a 1hp has all the sausage attachments etc. I keep it clean, polish and lube it with kitchen grade silicone, and I pre chill the grinding plates, blade and locking but before I grind any meat. It works like a dream. I have had it for 3 years, done several deer, several ducks, pork and beef. It works like a dream! I have lent it out a few times. It always does it’s job.