Recall

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I actually fed one of those brands several years ago and it almost killed a very good young prospect. I finally noticed my feed didn't smell correct and called my supplier. I buy 250# at a time and called him and asked if he had heard anything about issues with the feed I was using. He said he hadn't but he would call his wholesaler. He called me the next day and said his supplier called and said yes, that he called and found out they had an issue about 6 weeks earlier but it had been corrected. Not one word had been said and no recalls. They did say bring back the empty bags and they would refund my money.

Needless to say I haven't feed a drop since.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've wandered around on feeds over the decades,,,when I was coonhunting and beagling hard got into black gold,,,,then went back to purina,,,did diamond for years till the issues,,,then Victor,,,still feed victor to the two old dogs,,,but miss priss stopped eating it so went back to purina,,,,

if I had the time I'd make my own,,,but with my travels my wife would kill me!!

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Hard to beat Black Gold I have feed it for years.The problem with Dog Food Companies is once you find one that works all of sudden you see a shift in the performance of the hound or you see a change in appearance of the food itself upon doing a little investigation you find out they have all of a sudden decided to change the formula they use to make it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hard to beat Black Gold I have feed it for years.The problem with Dog Food Companies is once you find one that works all of sudden you see a shift in the performance of the hound or you see a change in appearance of the food itself upon doing a little investigation you find out they have all of a sudden decided to change the formula they use to make it.
That is exactly right. I have went that route several times. I have fed Victor several years now and the dogs have done great on it. Been holding my breath waiting on a change.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Feed several different brands including Black Gold. Currently feed Pride. I have about got to the point to where, if the dogs eat it, make good stools and perform satisfactory, I can adjust the amount of feed to keep them up. So many recalls in pet food and even in our food suppliers these days it's very concerning for sure. A lot of it boils down to a $.