Rebarreling a Model 700

Bean

Eight Pointer
I have a Remington 700 SS in .300 win mag with factory barrel. I’ve been wanting to rebarrel it to a bull barrel like a sendero for several years. Has anyone here ever done such? The gun is nothing special but it is the first rifle that I ever bought for myself when I was in high school so there is a little sentimental value to it. I live in Chatham county and don’t know of any gunsmiths in the area.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
B&B Arms just north of Randleman would be my choice. They do great work and have good turn around times.

You could also go the "Remage" route and swap the barrel yourself. It is not that hard to do as you are swapping in a Savage style barrel and barrel nut to a Remington action. DIY Remage Barrel

<>< Fish

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
No experience with a re barrel. I’m in the process of cut and crown. And a check of chamber, throat, bolt face and lugs.

I took it to guns and gals by food lion in Pittsboro. Their gun smith works out of fuquay. I talked to some guys in CH on 40. And in mebane. I choose local drop off and pick up. I hope he does a good job. The gun shot MOA but I felt it could be better and I saw some crazy erosion or corrosion in the first 1/8” of the muzzle. I’m ready to get the call from the smith and see what he thinks. I think gun smith work is always worth the money.
Post some pictures when you get the gun back.
I wish I had some where to load and shoot.

Sounds like a good project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bean

Eight Pointer
B&B Arms just north of Randleman would be my choice. They do great work and have good turn around times.

You could also go the "Remage" route and swap the barrel yourself. It is not that hard to do as you are swapping in a Savage style barrel and barrel nut to a Remington action. DIY Remage Barrel

<>< Fish
I read up on that but how does the savage barrel nut fit the stock. Does it have to be machined?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I read up on that but how does the savage barrel nut fit the stock. Does it have to be machined?

Careful inletting and for the best accuracy potential bedding also.

The Remage conversion is pretty popular and there's a wealth of info available online to help if you go that route.

<>< Fish

Bean

Eight Pointer
Spoke with a guy at Shaw Barrel company in Pa. If I buy a barrel from them they will assemble it for $130. That is cheaper than I can buy the barrel nut conversion because I would have to buy the wrench and both head space gauges plus my time. This will also be a factory looking Remington setup no savage nut to deal with. I will never change the caliber of the gun and he said that’s one of the leading factors that makes people go to the RemAge setup. Now on to finding a stock I like. It will be after Christmas before I pull the trigger on anything just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Spoke with a guy at Shaw Barrel company in Pa. If I buy a barrel from them they will assemble it for $130. That is cheaper than I can buy the barrel nut conversion because I would have to buy the wrench and both head space gauges plus my time. This will also be a factory looking Remington setup no savage nut to deal with. I will never change the caliber of the gun and he said that’s one of the leading factors that makes people go to the RemAge setup. Now on to finding a stock I like. It will be after Christmas before I pull the trigger on anything just trying to get my ducks in a row.
Don't.
I had sent one about 3 to 4 years back. It took a year to get it back and then it needed to be redone because the chamber got screwed up. It was egg shaped. They re did it but cost shipping and about 6 months.
Plus they have a ton of add ons. Mine, remington, heavy barrel costs a bunch.
Never again.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
BTW
You will buy a Remington cheaper than you can build it. Shaw barrels are no better than factory. Keep it and buy the gun you want.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

I'd go with B&B Arms over ER Shaw. You'll get your rifle back quicker and it will be done right. It really is a dice roll with Shaw. They do good work but not all the time. My best friend spent the better part of two years waiting on a simple Ruger M77 rebarrel job. He was this close to calling the ATF as Shaw couldn't locate the rifle in their inventory during an inquiry about the rifle.

<>< Fish

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Back in my Gunsmith days, the shop had a few OOOOPS from Shaw as Gadget mentioned...so stopped using them.
Started using Shilen with no regrets.
Used Kreiger or McGowen for the target guys.
My Shilen won many trophies for me, too.
I may be about to send a short action Mauser to Shilen...for a .260 Rem.