Real world problems

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Not to detail a different thread but let's talk real world problems with stock, mid level to upper level guns.

Let's take Remington for example since it's the most talked about.

What QC problems are there with modern BDL/CDL Sendsro etc type rifles?

We sit around and spit ball about how they just ain't what they were, well what have you personally seen wrong with a NON BUDGET line modern name brand rifle?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In the Remingtons, nothing... And between my Dad and I we've had a LOT.

In Browning, only one issue, with an Abolt II . The safety didn't engage. If would fire with the safety in either position. It took a trip back to Browning and came back good as new.

I've never heard of anyone else having this issue. I assume that this one just slipped through the cracks. It happens, no one is perfect.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I got a remington 700 long range not long back.
Problems
crown was dinged good, chamber had a ding that would scratch brass abd the chamber has a bulge on one side that they said was normal. Also the trigger recall..
And in looking at the stock at the base of the trigger group to have another smith look at it we found a hole in the stock where the stock is coming apart.

When I called them they said first they need it back for the trigger before they do anything else and when I get it back they can address the other problems when I send it back In for that.

Ask if the stock could be replaced or will.they replace the barrel being it is bad they said they can repair the oval chamder and patch the stock....

So it would cost a bunch of shipping and they said about 6 months to get it back.

That was the last and final 700 for me and Im thinking about selling the others.
Remington over the last few years turned to crap.

klim

Twelve Pointer
I got a remington 700 long range not long back.
Problems
crown was dinged good, chamber had a ding that would scratch brass abd the chamber has a bulge on one side that they said was normal. Also the trigger recall..
And in looking at the stock at the base of the trigger group to have another smith look at it we found a hole in the stock where the stock is coming apart.

When I called them they said first they need it back for the trigger before they do anything else and when I get it back they can address the other problems when I send it back In for that.

Ask if the stock could be replaced or will.they replace the barrel being it is bad they said they can repair the oval chamder and patch the stock....

So it would cost a bunch of shipping and they said about 6 months to get it back.

That was the last and final 700 for me and Im thinking about selling the others.
Remington over the last few years turned to crap.

Good to know! I was considering getting a Long Range when they first came out.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
It is a good platform but they just cant get things the way they should cutting corners all the time.
be best to build one and have a better gun with out the worry.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I own a few Remington's and the only thing I can find is my CDL had a recoil pad that felt like bubble gum. I called Remington and they sent me a new one.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Would you say that's a problem that wouldn't have happened 20-30+ years ago?

No way they would have shipped this gun in the past with dents dings and scratches in the barrel.... that have been finished over.
It did not happen in shipping and I cut the box open. It looks like the barrel was dropped when it was made before finish and no one pulled it to clean it up.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
The last new Remington 700 I purchased was a .308Win left handed BDL that would not hardly chamber/extract a round because of the roughly finished extractor. Pulled the extractor removed the burrs and all was well with the rifle.

Purchased a new Ruger No.1 A once that had slipped through QC with a safety that would not move to the "SAFE" position. It went back to the factory and came back working fine.

Those are the only problems I can recall with 'new in the box' guns. I could write a chapter or two on the issues I've ran across with 2nd hand guns.

<>< Fish

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I no longer have any Remington's. For a mid-level rifle give me a Howa or a Vanguard any day. I've been looking at the Savages and besides them being really butt ugly I have heard good things about them. But I have one Savage right now in .17 HMR and it is a piece of junk. Magazine falls out when you least expect it, will not eject a spent round if it is not feeling well that day (have to use a cleaning rod, like some kind of goofy MZ) and the stock looks and feels like a Toys-R-Us reject. But people swear by them (so far I just swear at them!). I'm looking for a heavy barrel 30-06 and as far as I know only Remington makes one (the LR). Might be a better idea to just look around for an old beat up 700 with a decent action in a pawn shop and rebarrel it. I have owned several Browning rilfes but I never had one that would shoot to my standards. (< 1 MOA). They all left years ago. So, for now, it's mainly Winchesters and Weatherby's.

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
I was looking at buying a Rem 700 CDL a couple years ago. I looked at several stores at them and the fit of the stock to the action was horrible. The recoil pad didnt fit right either. The bolt was no where near as slick as older 700s. Needless to say I didnt buy one. I have several Ruger M77 MKII. I love them. I have a couple newer M77 Hawkeyes. They suck in my opinion compared to the MKII. Just looks like a lot of corners were cut to save money and they do not shoot as tight a group. Guess thats kinda the trend in most manufacturing now tho. Cutting corners to save money.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Never had an issue with any decent quality gun that wasnt operator error. Sometimes i might have to polish internals or recrown but thats about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk