Ready for this weekend !

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Might be a bit late in getting started , but with the cold temperatures we’ve waited for the ground temps to come up some.

gonna plant a total of 4 plots on Friday & Saturday. I had a neighboring farmer spread and disc in some chicken litter 2 weeks ago. I went to the Barn Loft in Thomasville yesterday and picked up 200 lbs of IC cowpeas , 100 lbs of buckwheat and 250 lbs of triple 10 fertilizer.

time to get to work. I enjoy doing this stuff actually more than hunting !

C130307B-0D9D-4847-8176-BED23A381A49.jpeg

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
We reseeded our VA plots with oats, wheat and ladino clover back in March.

this Spring has been amazing for them. Soon it will warm and kill out the oats and wheat

I’m considering discing in a few rows of cowpeas but likely will just do buckwheat and cowpeas on 2 new starter plots

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Put in about two acres of buckwheat and sunflowers (wife's idea she likes to see flowers) yesterday. I don't think the sunflowers will make it with all the deer around our place. Buckshooter:: How do you keep the deer from eating your cow peas to the ground ??

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Put in about two acres of buckwheat and sunflowers (wife's idea she likes to see flowers) yesterday. I don't think the sunflowers will make it with all the deer around our place. Buckshooter:: How do you keep the deer from eating your cow peas to the ground ??

we plant them in 4 different plots. The deer on our place have for the last few years keyed in on the smallest most protected plot ( one that’s in the center of the property surrounded by hardwoods) it’s a smaller plot but hidden.

They key in on it pretty much exclusively for a couple of weeks allowing the other 3 much larger plots to get fairly well established.

once that happens we just go back and reseed that small hidden plot.

works out pretty well so far. Since once the cowpeas do get going they withstand browsing really well.

Shamrock7326

Four Pointer
Good Luck guys, looks like a lot of rain coming...I’m still in “clearing out” mode by applying glyphos, 1st of 3 treatments.