Reaching the age of understanding

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I hunted with an old fella out in TN about thirty years ago that could be described as just a simple country man who never wanted much more than he had. That being a good wife, a good truck, a nice enough house to live in, and a place to hunt turkeys. Every so often he would become somewhat of a philosopher and though I didn't take him too serious back then more and more I'm reminded of his words today. This is a share of his wisdom with some of mine added in.

"Stop and listen to the woods waking up like it's your first time hearing it and realize that it might be your last".

"Never dwell on the thought that this might be your last season of turkey hunting but always know that it might and never take it for granted".

"Pray to God that when that first season comes around that you aren't in the woods that you are with Him and not here".

"Always keep the right perspective about turkey hunting it ain't about how many you kill, it's all about playing the game with them".

"Some turkeys are not killable, but they are the most fun to hunt".

"With the exception of a few, you will remember the ones you don't kill longer than the ones that you kill".

"Anyone who says they have never missed a turkey is either lying or has never hunted much".

"When you are young your wife is special to you because of what young people do, when you get my age your wife is special to you because she has your breakfast ready when you get back from turkey hunting". { I like that one a lot } LOL

Mr. John is the reason I have all those places out in TN to hunt now. He was a good man and the neighbors let me hunt because Mr. John said I was okay. I met him when he was 75, my age now, and he hunted until he was mid eighties. I think he got his wish and never missed a season before God called him home.

gobblr addict

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Everyone of those is true, and as we age, means more to us! Thanks for those insights from your friend!

I remember the ones I miss more too!

gobblr addict

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Everyone of those is true, and as we age, means more to us! Thanks for those insights from your friend!

I remember the ones I miss more too!

gobblr addict

Good to see ya GA. That's some good stuff ZG posted and so true. Just want to thank you again for helping me out here so much 20 years ago, trying to understand how to turkey hunt. I had just turned 45. We had zero turkeys where I live. I joined a club twenty miles away that had a few turkeys, but only one gobbler had been killed over the preceding decade. Nobody in that club knew how to turkey hunt either. Back then, there were few turkey vidoes to show new turkey hunters the ropes. Especially turkey hunting in NC. The few guys that did turkey hunt, kept their secrets to themselves, as they didn't want the competition from new turkey hunters. The one guy I did know that had killed turkeys, gave very vague answers to my questions. He had it sooo good, with so few hunters wanting to chase turkeys and he knew it.

Anyway, you and a few others from the old message board gave your best advice, on how to increase our odds at bagging a gobbler. It was just so helpful to get honest feedback, from pros that had done it in the real world. Nothing beats in the field hours playing with turkeys, but the message board advice helped us understand what was really happening in the turkey woods....as different phases of the season unfolded. So many little things you guys said, that I just soaked it all up...that would've taken hours in the field hunting to pick up on. I'll never forget that unselfish help.....25 gobblers later...14 in the woods. Enjoy it more than deer hunting. Thanks again. Tim(Ambush).

Last edited:

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Just thought of another funny time with Mr. John. We were sitting in an old log barn about a mile or more from the highway and the weather was a nasty mist and cool. There were openings between the old logs that you could easily shoot through and a couple of openings where doors used to be. Behind the old barn was a cedar thicket where the turkeys roosted on days like that. This was back in day when it was not unusual to see fifteen or twenty birds in a flock.

I stuck my box call out the door and let out a series of yelps. Ten minutes later here came the turkeys and one was gobbling every step he took. I couldn't see him but I saw Mr. John raise up his old 20 gauge and boom. We went out and I picked the bird up, he had about a four inch beard and uneven tail feathers, obviously a jake.

Mr. John looked at him for a moment and very nonchalantly said, " By God you act like a man you can die like a man".

Last edited:

gobbler

Eight Pointer
I think mr John had it figured out

part of the reason I like turkey hunting different places is meeting such folks

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"Stop and listen to the woods waking up like it's your first time hearing it and realize that it might be your last". I LOVE this one! I'm gonna steal it and use it many other ways..... Look at a sunrise like it's the first one you've ever seen, and realize it might be your last. That's one that works for me. Thanks for the post!

gobbler

Eight Pointer
"Stop and listen to the woods waking up like it's your first time hearing it and realize that it might be your last". I LOVE this one! I'm gonna steal it and use it many other ways..... Look at a sunrise like it's the first one you've ever seen, and realize it might be your last. That's one that works for me. Thanks for the post!
There was a older good friend of mine told me the last season he ever hunted that I needed to slow down and enjoy each one more, it wasn’t about numbers it was about the experience, I’ve made it a point to get better at that

44spec

Four Pointer
True words from your friend that a lot of us can relate too. Turkey hunting is special and a blessing from our Father. I realize every year as I get older how I just enjoy the hunting whether I get one or not. The woods in the springtime are something to enjoy and your old friend knew it. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

gobblr addict

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good to see ya GA. That's some good stuff ZG posted and so true. Just want to thank you again for helping me out here so much 20 years ago, trying to understand how to turkey hunt. I had just turned 45. We had zero turkeys where I live. I joined a club twenty miles away that had a few turkeys, but only one gobbler had been killed over the preceding decade. Nobody in that club knew how to turkey hunt either. Back then, there were few turkey vidoes to show new turkey hunters the ropes. Especially turkey hunting in NC. The few guys that did turkey hunt, kept their secrets to themselves, as they didn't want the competition from new turkey hunters. The one guy I did know that had killed turkeys, gave very vague answers to my questions. He had it sooo good, with so few hunters wanting to chase turkeys and he knew it.

Anyway, you and a few others from the old message board gave your best advice, on how to increase our odds at bagging a gobbler. It was just so helpful to get honest feedback, from pros that had done it in the real world. Nothing beats in the field hours playing with turkeys, but the message board advice helped us understand what was really happening in the turkey woods....as different phases of the season unfolded. So many little things you guys said, that I just soaked it all up...that would've taken hours in the field hunting to pick up on. I'll never forget that unselfish help.....25 gobblers later...14 in the woods. Enjoy it more than deer hunting. Thanks again. Tim(Ambush).

I appreciate the kind words.....I have always been unselfish with my knowledge I gained in the woods...Ask NCST8GUY, at our club I was always the last to pick a spot...would let a dozen guys go to their areas , then I'd pick one! Thanks again, this is humbling to say the least!! gobblr addict

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I appreciate the kind words.....I have always been unselfish with my knowledge I gained in the woods...Ask NCST8GUY, at our club I was always the last to pick a spot...would let a dozen guys go to their areas , then I'd pick one! Thanks again, this is humbling to say the least!! gobblr addict
you still holding those Morgan callers? Being as how you are unselfish and all you might want to rid yourself of that ugly thing? :)
Good to see you posting again GA.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
you still holding those Morgan callers? Being as how you are unselfish and all you might want to rid yourself of that ugly thing? :)
Good to see you posting again GA.

Remember when midwest sold them and how reasonable they were then, boy if we’d only knew, I’d have backups to back up my backups

I’d love to find a Spanish dagger

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
This is great. I've had the best memories in turkey woods, birds or no birds, it's always time cherished. I've found the time just sitting, listening and letting your mind wander is better medicine than anything on this planet.