for home defense.

Anyone have other favorites?

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've read lots of comments about the # 3 and # 4 buckshot to use in a 20 gauge
for home defense.

Anyone have other favorites?
FWIW, I decided on #2 shot...at a typical inside the house shot being so close, my tests showed they don’t open up as large as a paper plate so they’re still plenty lethal, with no worry of a larger, heavier buckshot exiting the house and possibly entering a neighbors house hurting someone.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I have #4 Turkey load in my 12 gauge. Within 10-15' it should be lethal. And safer for my family on the other side of the interior walls.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure anyone on the forum has any experience shooting intruders. Maybe..

I think any thing to the face would work.
[emoji23]

I think I would use number 9 shot to peel the skin off their face. Blind them. Might kill em..
would give them a plenty of time to think about there actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Picture is worth 1000 words.
Video showing shot column separating from shot cup.
Usually takes place some distance in front of the shotgun.
An average indoors shot might be across a room...10-20 feet.
IMO, a load of bird shot will get it done and not produce high risk to neighbors.

To replay the main video at this URL, just hit the "replay" arrow symbol at lower left under image.

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
The last homicide I responded to" 1992" a man kicked the front door in and rushed the
two people inside, daytime. The man inside had a single shot 20 ga with #6 shot.
The guy who broke in was shot dead center chest, the wadding was on his chest when I got there.

He lived about an hour, DA ruled it self-defense which it was. Dispatcher heard the whole thing
on the phone while dispatching me.

If you hit someone with birdshot at close range and they miraculously survived, they'd be in surgery for days trying to get all the pellets out. It would be a huge meat hole and lead everywhere in there.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not sure what size shot was used here but it sure put a hurtin on this ole boy. Apparently at a further distance than within a room.

Shot in the back tho!! o_O

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Not sure what size shot was used here but it sure put a hurtin on this ole boy. Apparently at a further distance than within a room.

Shot in the back tho!! o_O

View attachment 25607

That looks like a turkey hunting gone bad.

My buddy got shot on accident, doctors said any closer or any higher he probably wouldn’t have lived. He spent a couple days in the hospital. Had to carry a card around with him incase he went through a metal detector. They left the shot in and the body naturally pushed all but one pellet out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk