Re Builds

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Lost Casa Brant during the last storm. Found the bunk bed frame and pot belly stove on the banks. Everything else went out to sea including the old wooden poker table. Not much was spared this time other than curtain boxes. Going to rebuild with concrete slats.

Attachments

• 469D1372-C4D8-48CC-A55F-C6A232D7C530.jpeg
    469D1372-C4D8-48CC-A55F-C6A232D7C530.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We went through that crap last year. Dang ice put a hurting on em and the that september hurricane last year finished em off. We lost poles and all last year on 3 or 4 blinds.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Hydemarsh,

Currently it is in the gulf stream with a big school of bailer dolphins underneath. Respectfully, haven't you started a non profit with intentions of getting rid of all of the licensed stake blinds and curtain boxes? Not trying to be controversial but I think it is a valid question.. I could easily be wrong so please explain.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I started a foundation for the express purpose of putting action behind habitat studies (SAV) and looking to end the arguments over who has the right to hunt where in public trust waters. I have no big interest in stake blinds or curtain boxes what I am interested in is to answer the question of "does the NC Public Trust doctrine mean what it says.?"

This question is so much bigger than stake blinds. It impacts the right of every citizen in the state to use public resources.

The question of fishing has gone before the courts and clear cut decisions have come from the rulings; you can fish anywhere in public trust water. The question of hunting has never gone before the courts and as a result there is confusion and a lot of disenfranchised people. Fishing and hunting appear to be equally protected activities under the public trust doctrine. In addition, the courts have held strong on challenges to public beach access (Another right guaranteed under the public trust doctrine) Why should they alienate the people's rights to hunt. There is nothing that says Roanoke can take his family to the beach at Nags Head but Hydemarsh cannot.

On the specific question of where I stand on stake blinds in public water - I do not hunt stake blinds, I prefer to hunt out of my boat. I like to scout, find birds and plan a set up for them. I think curtain blinds are some of the most fun hunts I have ever had. Don't have one myself so I use the guides on Ocracoke.

I would never build something on public land like a stake blind because the owner of what is built is the owner of the land. The entity that owns the land (and water above it) is every citizen in the state. the State hold it in trust for all. However, I do not care if a person builds a stake blind in the sound. It is probably safer than boat hunting on a bad day. in my opinion I do not think a person should have exclusive rights to the area once it is built. If the owner is not there (an unoccupied blind) Another person should be able to hunt in the area. I do not like the idea of a person who did not build a blind accessing it, however that is the price of building something on public property, it could happen. A person with good manners should never do that. In the same vein, a person with good manners should not deprive others of the right to hunt in public waters.

Over the years I have encountered quite a few hunter from Dare county hunting in Hyde because Dare will not let them hunt out of boat blinds with out a permit. I think it is 125 permits for 1167 square miles of public water. Does not seem right to me. my opinion is an auto mechanic from Salisbury has just as much right to hunt public trust waters in Dare county as the most wealthy and well connected politician from Manteo.

However the courts may say my view is totally wrong. Why don't we all find out by asking them - it would be good if both sides would contribute to the cause and end the arguments.

I think we both know how this will end.

I may be wrong in my opinion, if I am then I will acknowledge and move on. I am a big defender of private property rights - come on my land and you will face consequences. If it involves public resources my view is it must be shared. No one is "special" or above another person in the use of public resources. In my humble opinion if you want private and exclusive you have to buy it or lease it.