Rate Your Season

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
I will give mine an A. Struck out on my farm in Kentucky, didn't get to go to Illinois due to shoulder surgery/work issues, but I got a nice buck on my farm in Edgecombe County, picked up some new land that I like, and my son got back into deer hunting and killed two eight pointers.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
My goals b4 season were to get a doe with my crossbow , get a buck during chase phase & main goal was to get my 11yr old daughter a buck. I got a doe during bow, nice 10pt opening day blackpowder. My daughter got a 7pt day b4 Thanksgiving & a doe on Christmas Eve. So I had a great season!! All goals hit and the main thing freezer is full!!

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
I'd give mine a B and I didn't even see a deer all season. I learned a lot, wore quite a bit of sole off my boots, saw a lot of Green River, and got more motivated than I've ever been. I joined Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, downloaded Gaia GPS (and promptly filled up the rest of my phone with maps), and have already started scouting for 2020.

I'm from a completely non-hunting family (with quite a few anti-hunting) and this is a huge challenge that I'm leaning in to. Cheers to the folks on the board who have answered a few questions and keep the conversations rolling.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t ever have a bad season but this was the first time in years that I didn’t shoot anything other than a yote. I helped Dan get his two tens out and Zach find and drag out a huge six. I let some walk that I would have shot in years past. Glad that I did because they made through and are gonna be special this fall. Probably spent too much time hunting a true 20” wide buck, sure hope he made it.

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
A++ for me... I killed the only deer on the farm I was after and was able to get my daughter some redemption on opening day, she killed the 10pt that she had grazed across the neck last year. Only downside was....after that, she didn’t come hunting with me anymore[emoji22] she got hers and told me to go get mine[emoji23] the extra ++ is because the buck I want to see next year is still showing up on camera.
781dd1111137a01f6aee4e202a6fadc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I put a lot of time and money on several spots close to the house including our place, mineral sites, food plots, fed the deer up until March of last season and started back feeding them in July.
We had plenty of deer around but just not any good bucks which was disappointing considering all the work put in.
My wife shot a decent 8 point with ML that made her happy so I guess a B- at this location.
Another place that I hunt was completely different.
I started getting pics of a lot of bucks in September and the only thing I did there was put out some mineral back in the Spring, no food plots or anything.
I took a 20 inch wide 180 lb 8 point off of that place with ML that scored 143.
I'll give that spot an A.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Not much on letter grades ..... My first deer season being retired. I hunted a lot.... Had a great time ..... Killed a nice buck that will go on my wall.... Enjoyed time with friends in deer camp.... Have some things to do in off season to get ready for next season....

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
+/- for me this season.

Due to work and family, I didn't get to go as much as I normally do and would have liked to -- and also missed a short block of very prime time at my place. I also didn't get to spend any hunts with my hunting buddy as he was so busy he hardly hunted this season. Archery was hot … and I rarely shoot anything during archery at my place because I want every doe available to bring in the decent bucks -- which only show up during the rut.

On the + side, I had a decent number of does (but only one fawn) that I saw regularly this season. I only got skunked twice. And I shot a very nice buck (for me,) that I put in the freezer and I'll put on the wall. He compares well to my biggest buck so far, and I'll figure it out when I get him back in June/July. I also have a very promising buck on camera that I hope like heck makes it to this fall and I get a chance at him. Only 1 deer ... but once I got the buck, that's all I wanted (except for a bigger buck, LOL). I could have taken many does, but our population isn't huge, I only saw the one fawn, so I want them for seed for next year.

I've been saying this for a few years now … but I really need to build a couple elevated box blinds for poor weather and so I can take others hunting with me. I hope to do that this year.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My season was definitely an A.
I got to be with my wife when she killed her first deer with a muzzleloader, killed 8 of my own, and got to spend time with my daughter in the stand. I was blessed to be able to hunt with my Dad for one more year.

So this season was a win for me.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
B -

Killed a 8
Oldest boy killed a 6
Oldest and youngest boys and myself each killed a doe

Nothing real nice on camera this year!

brknarrow1970

Six Pointer
2 years in a row had to have abdominal surgery in Dec, put a damper on the season and really limited the way I used to hunt , with that being said season is always an A+ just based on the fact I am still here to enjoy it- hopefully this will be the last and looking forward to turkey season with my bow, blind, and decoys -know that is frowned upon but could give two chits

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Unfortunately this was the first time in many many many years that I did not deer hunt as I didn’t have a place to go this year. But I fished 3 days a week or so, so that made up for it. On that note, I typically still see a lot of deer while out and about and usually tons while fishing. I’ve been all over the state all fall/winter and have seen VERY few deer(alive or on the side of the road). The last few years have seemed to be that way while hunting or just being outdoors. Kinda worries me. Also not seeing turkeys at all and remember in years past I would rarely go more than a few days in a row without seeing either. Hoping it’s just me.

freezer is full. hunted NC and Ga. and got a nice heavy 8 and a couple does.

Worst part is caught a poacher in my stand but he got a ticket.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
B

The only reason it wasn't an "A".....is all on me. I failed to get some trees removed (blowdowns), and it cost me a shot on a shooter. I saw 3 mature bucks inside 40 yds. I let a 115" 3 yo walk, hunting with a ML. No regrets. I don't think he was killed. I saw 2 other shooters, out of range of my bow.....but those two are on me (if I'd cleared the blowdowns, they would have probably passed, in range). A typical season, around here, has me seeing 2-3 mature bucks. So, in this regard, I have no complaints. I'm already preparing for this fall. I won't get caught, unprepared, again.

Tar Heel Sportsman

Four Pointer
A+, have not had the luxury of getting out of my busy daily schedule like i previously have and have probably got in the woods around 8 times the whole year. Never saw too much but this season in particular i was able to enjoy the sit and my surroundings more than previously before. When i finished up with this semester in school- i was able to harvest a 23" wide Alabama buck on my last sit of the year.

MAM3006

Six Pointer
I would have to say a "C:". Some good, some bad and some things I am still scratching my head about. Overall took a decent 15 inch inside 7 point and two does so I can't complain there. Disappointing part is there were a couple other times I had a decent buck around but couldn't get a shot. The scratch my head part is that I had three shooters on camera consistently up until early November that COMPLETELY turned into ghosts. No sightings, no more pics, nothing.... no idea where they headed to. One was the biggest deer I EVER had pics of. Learned that next year if i see them on camera early, I need to get after them with the crossbow. Overall rut was pretty lackluster where I was also.

Bollweevil

Eight Pointer
I would give mine an "A". It very well could have been a "A++" if I had capitalized on a couple of opportunities on really good bucks while dog hunting in VA. I did kill my biggest buck to date, a 132" 10 pointer, which was my #1 target buck. I also killed a 190 lb mature 7 pointer in NC, and another decent 7 pointer in VA dog hunting. I tag teamed a decent 6 pointer with my buddy Tim in VA also. I saw more mature bucks this year than I have seen in a long time, and a lot of little ones too. I'm already ready for next year!

MontyStackhouse

Button Buck
Not great. I enjoyed the time I was able to spend out in the woods (limited due to the birth of my daughter) but never really saw anything. This was only my second season and I am really beginning to think I need a mentor or something. I fear I have done as much as I can, having never hunted in my youth or anyone else to look to for guidance. I honestly can't even say I will keep after it because of how disappointing this season was for me. I hunted 50 acres and used trail cams. For the last 3 weeks of the season I didn't have a single photo. I know there is a bit of luck involved but I also figured there would be a bit more science. Just seems as though I am never where the deer are. I have only, out of the 80+ hours, ever had one good look at a deer and that was last season. I missed and that was my fault, just got too excited, but haven't had even an opportunity since. Another opportunity would have made my season 100% better than it was.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Not great. I enjoyed the time I was able to spend out in the woods (limited due to the birth of my daughter) but never really saw anything. This was only my second season and I am really beginning to think I need a mentor or something. I fear I have done as much as I can, having never hunted in my youth or anyone else to look to for guidance. I honestly can't even say I will keep after it because of how disappointing this season was for me. I hunted 50 acres and used trail cams. For the last 3 weeks of the season I didn't have a single photo. I know there is a bit of luck involved but I also figured there would be a bit more science. Just seems as though I am never where the deer are. I have only, out of the 80+ hours, ever had one good look at a deer and that was last season. I missed and that was my fault, just got too excited, but haven't had even an opportunity since. Another opportunity would have made my season 100% better than it was.
you have about 1,000 mentors here.:)
here's all you gotta do:
Start a thread "where woulld you hunt."
Post a satellite pic of your property.
You'll see a consensus on where to place a stand.- Yes it's that easy. Even from 100,000 ft.
"Cheat " a bit and start throwing out corn to make it really easy.

Killing A deer on fifty acres of land should be no issue unless there are some extreme circumstances. Or you dont have time.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
I had an absolute blast. I've had several unsuccessful seasons but this year I connected twice. It's the first time I've shot two deer in one season. And, to top it off, I think it's extra special that it was done on my own property.

The highlight of my season was connecting with a nice buck (for the land I'm hunting) and taking my youngest out hunting several times. I wish he would have gotten a deer, but the memories I have are amazing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jdaddyrox

Spike

I only killed 2 deer my first 10 years of hunting. If you want to succeed at something you’ve got to persevere. Keep learning. Read read read. I’m still not a master hunter but I’ve killed a few. My biggest advice would be to purchase a feeder and don’t let it get empty and if you don’t overhunt it, you’ll kill deer. Don’t shoot the first one that walks up either. Be scent free and SILENT when you hunt. Also, don’t just hunt to kill deer, enjoy your time in the stand even on the days you don’t see deer. Stick with it and you’ll be successful.

MontyStackhouse

Button Buck
you have about 1,000 mentors here.:)
here's all you gotta do:
Start a thread "where woulld you hunt."
Post a satellite pic of your property.
You'll see a consensus on where to place a stand.- Yes it's that easy. Even from 100,000 ft.
"Cheat " a bit and start throwing out corn to make it really easy.

Killing A deer on fifty acres of land should be no issue unless there are some extreme circumstances. Or you dont have time.

I sincerely appreciate that. Unfortunately, I do not have a piece of land that I can regularly hunt and am limited to finding by-the-day rentals. This previous season, I was able to rent a property for the season which allowed me to learn the land and (or so I thought) the movements of the resident deer. I will attempt to find a similar opportunity for next season. I do like the idea of using corn which is something I probably should have done. Thank you again for your offer of assistance.

I only killed 2 deer my first 10 years of hunting. If you want to succeed at something you’ve got to persevere. Keep learning. Read read read. I’m still not a master hunter but I’ve killed a few. My biggest advice would be to purchase a feeder and don’t let it get empty and if you don’t overhunt it, you’ll kill deer. Don’t shoot the first one that walks up either. Be scent free and SILENT when you hunt. Also, don’t just hunt to kill deer, enjoy your time in the stand even on the days you don’t see deer. Stick with it and you’ll be successful.

Thank you. I wholeheartedly agree and that is something I have been striving to do. I am always up for learning and have watched countless hours of videos and read countless articles detailing deer physiology, psychology, movement, hunting practices, and many other topics. I do think this thread/website will be an enriching source of knowledge given the level of experience of the other members especially since they are relatively local. I am looking forward to seeing how much I can glean from reading the conversations of others. I do think that if I had a mentor, someone I could speak with face to face or even actually hunt with, I would be better set for success. It is difficult to begin an endeavor without a teacher but I have been trying my best. Thank you again for the words of encouragement.

Moran

Four Pointer
Every season is A taking the kids hunting letting them shoot a deer watching them hearing my 8 year old tell me she didn’t want to shoot a smaller buck said let him walk that makes my day but she did get a big 6 point

Attachments

• F7C177EB-3F44-4E56-A8AF-98E1EFD66252.jpeg
    F7C177EB-3F44-4E56-A8AF-98E1EFD66252.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 16

Jdaddyrox

Spike
I sincerely appreciate that. Unfortunately, I do not have a piece of land that I can regularly hunt and am limited to finding by-the-day rentals. This previous season, I was able to rent a property for the season which allowed me to learn the land and (or so I thought) the movements of the resident deer. I will attempt to find a similar opportunity for next season. I do like the idea of using corn which is something I probably should have done. Thank you again for your offer of assistance.

Thank you. I wholeheartedly agree and that is something I have been striving to do. I am always up for learning and have watched countless hours of videos and read countless articles detailing deer physiology, psychology, movement, hunting practices, and many other topics. I do think this thread/website will be an enriching source of knowledge given the level of experience of the other members especially since they are relatively local. I am looking forward to seeing how much I can glean from reading the conversations of others. I do think that if I had a mentor, someone I could speak with face to face or even actually hunt with, I would be better set for success. It is difficult to begin an endeavor without a teacher but I have been trying my best. Thank you again for the words of encouragement.

Jdaddyrox

Spike

It sounds to me like you may be trying too hard. The best way I know of to kill deer is to feed the deer corn or corn mixed with molasses and peanuts which you can find at the big feed mills where farmers buy there feed which they find irresistible. I spend maybe $20 a week and some weeks get skipped but when I can afford to, I keep them fed. I never let it run out during hunting season. One other thing I do is to keep a white salt block by the corn. You can get those at Tractor Supply or a feed mill. To keep the corn dry I built a 10x12 slanted roof of tin about 7’ high and built a feeding trough to keep the corn off the ground. It’s better to set the salt a few feet away where it will get rained on. Now, you need a good spot where you are predominantly downwind and you need a way to silently slip in there before sun up (I generally get to my spot an hour before sunrise) and maybe between 1 and 3 in the afternoon. I usually go a day or two before and rake the leaves off my trail so I can walk in silently. You also need warm, comfortable and silent clothing so you’re not shivering or moving around at ALL. No smoking and scent free is a must. You should always move as if you’re in slow motion if you move at all. Comfortable seat is a must. No coughing or ANY noise at all. Still, silent and odor free. Be relaxed and enjoy the day. Be confident in your shooting abilities. I still get excited when I hunt and always remind myself to take a few slow deep breaths before I shoot at something.
Hope this helps.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns

Those videos and articles are all well and good, but if you’d spent those countless hours in the woods you’d be farther ahead than you are now.

The best mentors you will ever find are time in the woods and boot leather.