rat shot?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Antlered mice thread sparked my memory......

My FIL asked me Sunday if I knew anywhere to get .22 rat shot. I haven't seen a round like that since I was a kid.

Is it still available? Where?

Thank you.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yup I saw it at Cabelas not long ago but it gets snatched up pretty quick. CCI makes it

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
That's some rare ammo. I gave up on it and use cb rounds daily now. They are quiet and cheaper but knock holes in my chicken feeders and the ricochet is painful

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the info, guys. After seeing who makes this stuff, I think they have it at Academy Sports.

It's expensive!! $0.60/ea!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It's expensive!! $0.60/ea!

yup,,, some places have it cheaper than that (Scheels and ables for example) but it's still 50 cents/round ish,,,

to me, that 12 shot out of a rimfire don't do much on rats etc except at very very close range,,, and a smooth bore,,, the rifling plays heck with any pattern

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
yup,,, some places have it cheaper than that (Scheels and ables for example) but it's still 50 cents/round ish,,,

to me, that 12 shot out of a rimfire don't do much on rats etc except at very very close range,,, and a smooth bore,,, the rifling plays heck with any pattern
Thanks for that. I need to ask him what his intended target is ;)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just ordered some gas checks to build some for my old Police Special.
I use hardened #12 shot and at 10 feet it's deadly on snakes or rats. I'll load up some mild stuff for bees too, it's fun and pretty easy on the ears with basically a load just enough to kill a bee.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Antlered mice thread sparked my memory......

My FIL asked me Sunday if I knew anywhere to get .22 rat shot. I haven't seen a round like that since I was a kid.

Is it still available? Where?

Thank you.
Try Shouse Supply down at Grandview , want be cheap but close by and no shipping.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Years ago the "rat" shot came in 22 shorts and had a crimped end to hold the shot in. I think it held #12 shot!
I haven't seen any since the shotshells with plastic cup came out.
I always keep the shotshells in every caliber I have.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I got some speers pellet capsules for 38 Spc and 45 Colt.

I'm sure a little development will make some milquetoast loads, but I ramp up the Colt shells enough to rabbit hunt with.

Rabbits are rodents, though... :unsure:

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
I got some speers pellet capsules for 38 Spc and 45 Colt.

I'm sure a little development will make some milquetoast loads, but I ramp up the Colt shells enough to rabbit hunt with.

Rabbits are rodents, though... :unsure:
Rabbits are not rodents. Just sayin...

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
academy has had rat shot last few times I was there.

Got to try it on the bees, looks fun...

Higgins

Ten Pointer
I've been eyeballing one of those Henry Garden Guns but hard to justify a gun with just 25' range.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I've been eyeballing one of those Henry Garden Guns but hard to justify a gun with just 25' range.
Just find an old ate up single shot 22. Ream the barrel smooth. You could even thread the muzzle and make an conical choke insert. Rock on.

In fact, with all the buckhammer and legends and screedmoor stuff, we, as a collective, should come up with something new.

Modify the 25 ACP to make it longer, and necked down to hold a 22 mag shot capsule.

We can call it the NCH&F Rat Bastard.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I load the Speer capsules with #9 shot and use short barrel 22's, 38's, 357's and 44 cal. Fun AND effective....

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Could a man impress a couple of drunken friends by tossing up empty beer cans and shooting them in the air with his 1911 with this rat shot stuff ? Asking for a friend . ;)

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Haven’t had any luck finding .22mag rat shot myself.
What’s even harder to find is the red cap #4 rat shot. Have one box left for .38/.357