Rare Book Inquiry

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I'm looking for a book because I'm a nerd hahaha. Anyhow, I'm trying to track down a specific book written by Zane Grey. It's a first edition Riders of the Purple Sage but it's important that it's the correct first edition by a specific printer as per below. The price on this is way above market and this joker is never going to get what he's asking but it's a book I've been searching for a while. If anyone has this book please let me know I'm interested in purchasing it. Cheers.1627415136689.png

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I'm looking for a book because I'm a nerd hahaha. Anyhow, I'm trying to track down a specific book written by Zane Grey. It's a first edition Riders of the Purple Sage but it's important that it's the correct first edition by a specific printer as per below. The price on this is way above market and this joker is never going to get what he's asking but it's a book I've been searching for a while. If anyone has this book please let me know I'm interested in purchasing it. Cheers.View attachment 70913
I believe this is the 10th anniversary edition and was made in 1921 or 1922. The true first edition was made in 1912 I think. I saw a couple on ebay. One was going for $500

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
GW has started marking books with a permanent marker.

Kinda irritated about that. Wonder when they're going to start taking razor blades to paintings. Lol.
I'm a lot happier when I get one with a pencil or an old school name label. Really good books can still be found. I'm amazed at how people are still clueless about the value of books and ephemera.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm a lot happier when I get one with a pencil or an old school name label. Really good books can still be found. I'm amazed at how people are still clueless about the value of books and ephemera.

As am I. But I ain't mad about it. Hahaha.

When I started 7 years ago (and I've admittedly slacked off quite a bit over the past year or two) it blew my mind at how many $40 books I could buy for $1.99. The ones that range higher, I've held onto and are in storage.

GWs in bigger cities would sell a pallet of books for $60. What? That seemed crazy. They still may, been a couple years since I've been in a big city GW.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've been getting some great stuff off of nc hibid lately. Some of the lots go for $5 or less and I've done pretty well. Do you sell on ebay only?
I stopped selling a few years ago, and started collecting. Same with most things I bought and sold.

PM inbound.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I believe this is the 10th anniversary edition and was made in 1921 or 1922. The true first edition was made in 1912 I think. I saw a couple on ebay. One was going for $500
You are correct, the original is a 1912 printed by Harper and Brothers but it's nearly impossible to find one with the original Dust Jacket which is what I'm looking for. Pain in the rear. There are soooooo many lying liars selling books.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
As am I. But I ain't mad about it. Hahaha.

When I started 7 years ago (and I've admittedly slacked off quite a bit over the past year or two) it blew my mind at how many $40 books I could buy for $1.99. The ones that range higher, I've held onto and are in storage.

GWs in bigger cities would sell a pallet of books for $60. What? That seemed crazy. They still may, been a couple years since I've been in a big city GW.
Well if you find a first edition Riders of the Purple Sage with the dust jacket, you got a buyer, just as an aside. Cheers.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Interesting side note, Zane Grey's fishing career is more impressive than his writing career. The dude was a straight legend when it came to trophy fishing. He set and holds a ton of line class records. He's a really interesting guy.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Online look at Powell’s Books in Portland OR. 5 or 6 stories of new and used. Even have a rare book room (that I found a steal in - a first edition In Search of Scotland - for about $25, same book in the UK was close to 75£)

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Friend lost a relative and no one wanted the books and said that he could have them as long as he cleaned them all out.
They had cash in some of the pages and even had a 1st edition catcher in the rye.