Rain Gear

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
What you guys wearing for rain gear when out fishing or hunting? I have a Frog Togs set that has finally give out....starting to leak and will not keep me dry. Want to try something not as noisy. Ideas?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Grundens. Had it all from $3 Walmart rain coats to Goretex and FroggToggs (which I like when it’s warmish), but I’ll always own Grundens.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a low cost set that does pretty good.. if it is raining enough to where that does not work, I am staying at the house. I will take vacation when the weather is better.. this is a hobby. Will change my tune if I am paying for a hunt or trip that is set dates and the forecast is bad the whole time..

Not unlike golf.. I will not play much in the rain but when I went to Scotland I had a good set of rain gear.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Goretex. Still have one floating around that is over 25 year old. Used for fishing and work. it breathes. You can have the thick heavy rubber suits. I'd rather be wet from fresh rain the soaked in sweat.
That or just get a box blind. 😊

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife bought me a top of the line Grundens Gore-Tex Pro (3L) jacket a few years ago for my birthday. That jacket is no joke. That is probably the ultimate breathable rain gear. I’ve had regular Gore tex stuff soak through before, but this thing is tough as nails.

IMO, you either go PVC or the best GT you can find. The cheaper stuff always disappoints.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
i bought Tidewe stuff two years ago. thicker than the Froggtoggs. which i rip just about as soon as i put them on. seems to do pretty good.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
it depends on what I’m doing, but sitting in a tree stand or still hunting, I really like a poncho with a gun. Archery, yeah, not so much.

I think Frogg Toggs or similar are about the best thing. Cheap and dry.

If you want really durable or really comfortable; better get your checkbook out.

I’ve generally found that breathable fabrics, while better than the rubberized stuff, still hold in a lot of heat and make me sweat if I’m moving about.

If it isn’t an absolute downpour and I’m somewhat protected by trees, I can generally get away with thin fleece or wool over a layer or two of wicking material.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Look ok Wing Supply Clearance website and search "rain suit". Sometimes you can find some really good deals there on quality stuff.