Rain delays

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Cap'n Frank and I like to troll for Spanish off Carolina Beach and occasionally up to Wrightsville in his 20 foot Seahunt. We're both older and he's got some mobility issues but with my help he can get in and steer the boat, which he's been doing for the last 30 years or so. So we are basically fair weather fishermen meaning we don't go if the seas are above 3 feet or if there are thunderstorms predicted, which it has been like for the last several weeks down here. Now the Friday paper has a Fishing Report and somebody somewhere is always catching fish, according to them. My question is, how desperate are you to get out there and who the heck is it catching all these fish when the seas are like 5 to 7 or higher?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
First I wouldn't take the fishing report as the gospel. With that said I have fished in all kinds of weather. Some of my best days have been completely miserable conditions that went unnoticed because the fishing was so good. The good thing about NC is that we have beaches that face different directions meaning you can usually find some kind of fish-able water.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
First I wouldn't take the fishing report as the gospel. With that said I have fished in all kinds of weather. Some of my best days have been completely miserable conditions that went unnoticed because the fishing was so good. The good thing about NC is that we have beaches that face different directions meaning you can usually find some kind of fish-able water.

dang skippy,,,,,,

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm not sure who's catching all of them either. I don't go when it's like that which seems like every time. I read on the fishermans post about all the drum in the backwater behind Bear Island. How you just have to go out and soak some cut bait. Well I'm here to tell you there are 500 million pinfish that have another thought about that. I know use him alive well as soon as he stops kicking his family eats him too.

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
Yep! I WAS at Surf City, trying to King Fish, until Monday. Came back home. Rained 11 days in a row. Didn't matter what time it was. 3, 7, 10 AM, Noon, 2 in the afternoon, EVERY day. I don't fish in the Rain. Almost got struck by Lightning, 2 years ago. There have been 9 Kings caught, at Surf City Pier. Quite a few nice ones, in the bunch. 47, 43, 42, 36, 30 lbs.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Yep! I WAS at Surf City, trying to King Fish, until Monday. Came back home. Rained 11 days in a row. Didn't matter what time it was. 3, 7, 10 AM, Noon, 2 in the afternoon, EVERY day. I don't fish in the Rain. Almost got struck by Lightning, 2 years ago. There have been 9 Kings caught, at Surf City Pier. Quite a few nice ones, in the bunch. 47, 43, 42, 36, 30 lbs.
How recent was that report? Heard the rain pushed them offshore. Going out this weekend if the forecast for 2-3's stays consistent

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i would really have made a great saltwater fisherman. there is always an excuse handy. legitimate ones.

stillwater guys have to get creative. LOL.

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
RRD, the 43 was caught the 4th of July, other than the 30 lb er, the other nice ones, were caught during, or in between rain storms. Been some nice fish, on the beach. Rain, and fresh water, pushed a lot of bait, out of the waterway.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
RRD, the 43 was caught the 4th of July, other than the 30 lb er, the other nice ones, were caught during, or in between rain storms. Been some nice fish, on the beach. Rain, and fresh water, pushed a lot of bait, out of the waterway.
10 4... calling for 2-4s but I'm headed to the coast directly after work. Hopefully the storms stay away

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
10 4... calling for 2-4s but I'm headed to the coast directly after work. Hopefully the storms stay away

2 Kings Sunday, at Surf City Pier. 9 Strikes today, (Monday), 3 fish landed. Two, 33 lb'ers, and a 16. Hoping to be back down there, Wednesday.