Raccoon Ratatoille

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Stole this idea from the Wild Game Dinner thread where someone mentioned it. I bought the vegetable ingredients for a different ratatouille recipe, but switched to this more traditional, more authentic French ratatouille after chopping up the veggies. I like slow cooking and it seems to be a good way to cook wild game meat so it comes out tender. Here is the recipe I used:

So, my ingredients were: Eggplant, summer squash, zucchini, orange bell pepper, little tomatoes, onion, and garlic. And raccoon meat from my first raccoon! :D Lee and I trapped it with a DP last week.

Simmered it for an hour and a half after browning each veggie and the raccoon meat individually.

The ratatouille is good and the raccoon meat is great! I think I like it better than the beaver meat in the beaver stew. Great dish for a winter night!

Attachments

• IMG_20200207_182140272.jpg
    IMG_20200207_182140272.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Raccoon is good food - young ones go good on the grill but never can go wrong with a stew

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Dang you really got me curious now that you said it’s better than beaver meat. It wasn’t until I started making more diverse meals with the beaver that the flavor and texture really shined thru. Thanks for the update

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Dang you really got me curious now that you said it’s better than beaver meat. It wasn’t until I started making more diverse meals with the beaver that the flavor and texture really shined thru. Thanks for the update

To me, the beaver meat tasted beefy or something like that, whereas the raccoon meat tasted like sausage.

Definitely liked the raccoon meat better, but it could just be personal preference. I hardly ever eat beef, just not a fan, but I love chicken and lamb.

Hope you catch some coons to try! :D

Last edited:

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Also, the ratatouille tasted the best on the third day after I made it. The flavors all blended together and it was outstanding!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Now I want to make more stews! What kind of stews do you like to make?

when it comes to the woodmoose's (lignum alces) eating habits,,,it's more efficient to ask "what kinds of stews do you NOT like",,,,,

none

but I like what I call a "basic stew" - meat, root vegetables of choice or available,,cooked long and slow with minimal water,,,just enough water to cover,,,season to preference, sometimes just salt and pepper, often with a bit of spice,,,always with a bay leaf or three,,,

sometimes I channel my inner Northern Wisconsin blood and add some barley,,,

sometimes throw in some roux to thicken and give a "cajun" taste a bit,,,

I'm going to have to try this recipe out.
I've always wanted to cook some coons I've caught, but never found anything that looks good enough to try till now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk