Rabbit outsmarts beagle

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
The beagle we had when I was a kid would probably do that. He definitely wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Also hunts didn't last long since he would take off after deer. We would just leave. Eventually we would get him back.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
yep, a classic! .......running a pup in the yard one spring a half grown bunny ran out of the woods and into a patch of tall grass in my yard and squatted....pup trailed it out to the edge and rabbit lowered itself down to where i couldnt even see it....pup went within 3 ft of it and went back in the woods.....bunny stood up-looked around- and ran off back to the woods.....

“J”

Twelve Pointer
I would always take my daughter with me when I ran the dogs off season…. We’d find a tree to stand next too while the dogs would run. Sooner or later that bunny would come our way. I’d always tell her to be quiet and don’t move. If she complied we’d usually get pretty close view of it going by. She look up at me with a big ole grin afterwards…..

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Had one try the same thing on my "TaterSpud" dog. He grabbed it on the way by.
Last spring my beagle goes into a brush pile. Her body language changes when she’s about to jump one and open up. I saw that, followed by a rabbit shooting out the right side of the pile. But she keeps standing there in the “I found one” position. Pushes further into the pile and one shoots out the left side. I’m thinking ok I guess she wants to run that one more. Nope. Keeps standing there and pushes deeper. Another one shoots out the back of the pile. Still no chasing from her. Finally she lunges forward in there (I can’t see her at all), bawls real loud and then I hear the unmistakable sound of a rabbit getting chewed on. Damn, she must’ve found the youngins. The whole brush pile is vibrating from her shaking it and carrying on. A short time later she comes out with this HUGE grayish silver haired domestic rabbit. It was at that moment I remembered my neighbor had text me the night before saying one of his fancy breed rabbits had gotten out and to keep an eye out for it 🥴

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
The beagle we had when I was a kid would probably do that. He definitely wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Also hunts didn't last long since he would take off after deer. We would just leave. Eventually we would get him back.
I must have gotten some of that bloodline years ago. Most Aggravating dogs I ever had. We only rabbit hunted those two dogs during deer season because we didn't know what we would end up running. Lots of times I didn't want them to come back 😂

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I must have gotten some of that bloodline years ago. Most Aggravating dogs I ever had. We only rabbit hunted those two dogs during deer season because we didn't know what we would end up running. Lots of times I didn't want them to come back 😂
I liked the story about the really good rabbit dog “you” had. The after school one. I think that would be a good addition to this discussion

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I liked the story about the really good rabbit dog “you” had. The after school one. I think that would be a good addition to this discussion
Ol Fred . The community rabbit dog ? Ol fed was a self trained basset hound. He lived about three miles from my house and knew about what time us boys got out of school. He would lay by the highway and wait for someone to pick him up to go hunting. If you wanted to go hunting with Fred you had to be the first one there because he would go with the first person that stopped. I have a lot of stories about that dog. He best attribute was his homing sense . I could take Fred a mile or two away and hunt in the evening, when the sun started to set Fred would head home and I would go on with my day . Like clockwork the next day he would be beside the road waiting to go hunting. He finally got pretty deaf in his later years and started laying in the road so people would stop until one day someone didn't stop and ran over ol Fred. Anytime someone mentions rabbit hunting I have to grin and think of ol Fred. The best rabbit hound to ever see the green swamp.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Have seen that happen numerous times when running rabbits but the funniest incident included a string of walkers, a doe deer and a folding chair.

Back in the 80's a number of us had gathered down in Sampson County where we had some cabins adjoining a small farm. There were two fields planted in beans and the deer clubs which hunted the surrounding properties would often send an occasional deer across the property. Such was the case today. A gentleman (Percy) had positioned his folding aluminum and webbing chair in the two track leading down to the cabins. The chase was on and coming our way so we were scattered along the two track and edges of the fields. It sounded to Percy that the chase would cross the high field off to his right so he leaves his chair and goes about 50 yards where he can watch the high field but the doe has other ideas. It came down a bean middle, out onto the two track, made a turn around Percy's chair and went back down a bean middle about three rows over. We had at least a half dozen witnesses to this as the dogs were coming down the field bellowing their heads off and met the deer about mid field running back the way she had come from. The dogs never raised their noses off the track and never knew how close they were to their quarry.

We teased old Percy for years about the deer doing a dance around his chair while he was watching the wrong field.