Rabbit hunting question

Snagged

Button Buck
Is a pack of dogs pretty much the only way to effectively hunt rabbits? Other than box traps, that is.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Traps isn't hunting, it is trapping. And dogs is the only way to SUCCESSFULLY hunt them.

You can hunt them without dogs, but it is like fishing, sans the catching.

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I used to hunt them on our farms by kicking them up in the brush piles near the edges of fields...On a good morning I would kill 3-4...It's best to use an improved cylinder and #6s, 5s or 4s...Low brass shells are fine for this type hunting...

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I used to hunt them on our farms by kicking them up in the brush piles near the edges of fields...On a good morning I would kill 3-4...It's best to use an improved cylinder and #6s, 5s or 4s...Low brass shells are fine for this type hunting...

It has been so long since I saw a brushpile or a grown up hedgerow around a field it isn't funny. Whenever I cut trees I will haul the laps just to make a brushpile on the field edge.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Traps isn't hunting, it is trapping. And dogs is the only way to SUCCESSFULLY hunt them.

You can hunt them without dogs, but it is like fishing, sans the catching.

respectfully disagree but the caveat being having strong rabbit populations.
my buddy brought his dad over to the house 3 weeks ago. He was visiting from out of state. After we got done hunting, his dad said “I grew up kicking brush and maybe only jump one or two rabbits, then I come here and every damn briar patch you and that dog stepped in had 2 or 3 rabbits running out of it”..............😂😂

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
respectfully disagree but the caveat being having strong rabbit populations.
my buddy brought his dad over to the house 3 weeks ago. He was visiting from out of state. After we got done hunting, his dad said “I grew up kicking brush and maybe only jump one or two rabbits, then I come here and every damn briar patch you and that dog stepped in had 2 or 3 rabbits running out of it”..............😂😂
Yeah, that will work in one place out of 100. But I can take you to 50 places that you can stomp and walk to you are blue in the face and you may get a rabbit our two and I can take a good pack of beagles in there and load a tailgate up with rabbits and run all day and a crowd will have a ball.

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Is a pack of dogs pretty much the only way to effectively hunt rabbits? Other than box traps, that is.
It's easier to use dogs but if you walk through where you think they are and bump em, you got a good chance at shooting em. They don't go far before stopping to look at you tryna blend in and more often than not, they tend to head back towards where you bumped em from.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, that will work in one place out of 100. But I can take you to 50 places that you can stomp and walk to you are blue in the face and you may get a rabbit our two and I can take a good pack of beagles in there and load a tailgate up with rabbits and run all day and a crowd will have a ball.

true. You gotta have perfect conditions where you can see. Like here, I have briar/blackberry patches that are out in the open and you can see around them. Contrary to popular belief, a lot rabbits don’t sit super tight. At least here, a lot slip out 15 yards in front of you. Without being able to see the entire area, you would think there were no rabbits.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
true. You gotta have perfect conditions where you can see. Like here, I have briar/blackberry patches that are out in the open and you can see around them. Contrary to popular belief, a lot rabbits don’t sit super tight. At least here, a lot slip out 15 yards in front of you. Without being able to see the entire area, you would think there were no rabbits.
I am guessing "someone" in your area must be working on the "funny" looking crows if they don't sit real tight. ;) Most places you will see them working right above the cover all the time. You can count if you see that you have to put a boot in a rabbits azz or a dogs nose on it before they will get up.