Rabbit box questions

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I picked up a few, looking for some rabbits I can use with the dog and hope it will be fun for my son.

Do you have any TIPS, TRICKS or information that may be helpful, I know it's not easy. And any additional info on rules and regs regarding rabbit boxes on private property. Thanks
fc20713d66a14af593753906c05c2c89.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Stuff them full of leaves and cover them with leaves and let them sit out in the yard for a few weeks. That always worked for our new rabbit gums.
I've heard you can use apple juice to help season them, but we hardly ever baited ours. Just sit them on opposite sides of fallen trees or in obvious runs.
Put out enough in areas with lots of rabbits and you'll catch them.

BVB

Four Pointer
This brought back some memories. I built a few of these as a kid. Lots of fun going to see whats inside.
I may have to build one with my son now.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As said before just get them aged a little bit. I used to light some straw or paper and go over them. Just try to cut down on you sent all you can. I always enjoyed it but haven’t done it in years.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Like someone said Apple's and onions. The best success I ever had was when I was in the hardware business and was getting ready to throw away a bunch of pansy flats that had not sold. Then I remembered a few customers buying pansies twice within 2 days as rabbits had eaten then the night after they got planted. That is how fast the rabbits found them. So, I took and put a pansy (planted) right in front of each door and baited with apples. I had my best success rate ever and n
Been doing this since the 70,s . Would be hard to do unless you have access to free or cheap pansies but those pansies really drew them to the entrance and then they went after the bait. Also, I found it best in the long run to make the boxes out of cypress that I used to get in Wilson Mills . Also I had better luck with 2 door havaharts than box traps but I really liked catching them in something I built. The 2a trap works better that the the #2 as the 2a in longer.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, gotta get some age on them. Grandpaw always used to burn 'em out a little bit and used apples for bait.
One things for sure, it aint no hav-a-heart....always a little suprise when you open the door.?
You got that right. I opened(slowly)the door once and I was thinking please be a rabbit. Please don't be a opossum. I slowly raised the door and I had a skunk!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, gotta get some age on them. Grandpaw always used to burn 'em out a little bit and used apples for bait.
One things for sure, it aint no hav-a-heart....always a little suprise when you open the door.[emoji2]
You got that right. I opened(slowly)the door once and I was thinking please be a rabbit. Please don't be a opossum. I slowly raised the door and I had a skunk!
These have a screen on one end

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Oh, I have even painted my boxes. But you have to do that now for next year as the paint imo needs 6 plus months for the smell to go away and I camo the boxes with leaves on top side etc as long as it does not mess with the trip mechanism .

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
My grandfather cut the lumber and made each part for a box trap. Gave me the wood and parts and said build them and go catch rabbits! I had about ten I ran every year and hands down no question the best bait I ever used was turnips. Cut a turnip in half and rub cut side all over entrance then cut up in little pieces and throw it in the back of the trap.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
I used to have numerous boxes set when I was a teenager. Brush in a little bit, slice an apple, rub sliced apple all over entrance and toss rest in the back of the box. I’ve never seen anything to keep possums out though and they’re typically not happy when you check the box. I even caught same rabbits multiple times. One rabbit had a scar on his nose (trying to escape box) and caught that rabbit numerous times (not the smartest rabbit).

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I use to set a dozen every year. Apples were the key to get them in the trap. Look for lanes in briar beds, edge of woods, or around something to funnel them towards the box. They are just looking for a place to hide and sleep.

Good luck, maybe I need ti set a few. I jumped one 3 foot from my condo the other day. Also had 2 on camera around the corn pile.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I used to love getting home from school and running to check my rabbit boxes. Always hated to have a possum in there when I opened the lid; but it did make it exciting.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My first job was catching rabbits for a greyhound farm. I had dozens of boxes, and sawmills and pupmilling was big. I would go around were they would clean up their logs and there would always be plenty of perfect size hollow logs that I would haul home and convert over to "gums", this was in the early '60s. I thought I had it down to a science. They paid $3.00 a rabbit, that was BIG money to a kid my age. I can tell you that you will catch 4 prior to Jan 1 to every 1 after. Why I don't know but keep up with it and see if I am wrong. November and December you can absolutely wear them out.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I used to love getting home from school and running to check my rabbit boxes. Always hated to have a possum in there when I opened the lid; but it did make it exciting.
Yes, the best part about trapping is checking them. When I retire I hope I am phsically able to run a small trapline of legholds plus run a bunch of rabbit gums.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Forget the Crap about aging or smoking. Just put them where bunnies wanna be.

You don’t have to smoke after a possum.
You don’t need bait.
Have a solid back. Rabbit likes a dark hole

Don’t buy into it.

I know a guy that sells the finest rabbit boxes made if you need some more ?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

You don’t need bait.

Don’t buy into it.

Come one, I bet you think the world is round also. :cool:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

You don’t need bait.

Don’t buy into it.

blasphemy!!!:eek:

well other than that solid back part:cool:

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Ditto the "burned" or "aged" look. Also he needs to be able to see all the way through, looks like you got that covered as well. I always did good placing them right outside a cattle fence, where the livestock keep the honeysuckle picked back. Keep a few extra triggers, a lot of times the bunny will gnaw it off overnight to get all the apple flavor.