Questions about cameras with cell service

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Do the cameras like spypoint or the other cameras that send you pictures have the capability of being tracked if they are stolen
I’m thinking about getting some but I have had cameras stolen off private land. Just wondering if any of the cameras can send me a gps signal and if it is moved. I have looked into getting a small gps tracker like you would put on a car and fasten it to the camera. You can get these for under $50.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Most of the cellular cameras I have looked at do not have GPS capability built in. It would make them more expensive and would shorten the battery life. You can report them stolen which keeps them from working but otherwise isnt used for tracking them.

Theoretically if a case was important enough the police could track it by the SIM and triangulate from cell towers but good luck getting that done for just a stolen camera.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Most of the cellular cameras I have looked at do not have GPS capability built in. It would make them more expensive and would shorten the battery life. You can report them stolen which keeps them from working but otherwise isnt used for tracking them.

Theoretically if a case was important enough the police could track it by the SIM and triangulate from cell towers but good luck getting that done for just a stolen camera.

This^^^, but I do think you can buy them with GPS capabilities. The camera still can be used even if reported stolen. But only as a camera and not a cellular camera

I just hope if someone does take one of mine I get a picture send to me of them doing it.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Last year I put a brand new camera$89 out on private land and it was gone the very next day. I found these gps trackers on line for cars and they are small and will send a gps signal to your cell phone on an app if the tracking devise moves from its set area I may get one and put it on the camera by expoxy glue and see if it works. I think I know who may be getting my cameras but it’s hard to prove. Or put in the battery compartment of an old camera that don’t work and glue the lid shut.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Last year I put a brand new camera$89 out on private land and it was gone the very next day. I found these gps trackers on line for cars and they are small and will send a gps signal to your cell phone on an app if the tracking devise moves from its set area I may get one and put it on the camera by expoxy glue and see if it works. I think I know who may be getting my cameras but it’s hard to prove. Or put in the battery compartment of an old camera that don’t work and glue the lid shut.

You could do that but have you tried just putting another camera up in a tree overlook the first to see who is stealing them? I know several people who have had success doing that.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
I’m afraid I might get a picture and not know who it is. Then I would have only a pic of someone and not know where to look With the gps I can tack it down to where the camera is. I have several LEO that would show up at the house of the culprit

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
with the amount of cameras i have used, and friends have used (one guy in the guiding business spent $10k on them) i have grown to understand a couple of things about them, and its very simple and causes less stress
1.) every camera i put out is not going to ever work
2.) every camera i put out is going to get stolen

If i get pics now, that's a bonus (y)

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
with the amount of cameras i have used, and friends have used (one guy in the guiding business spent $10k on them) i have grown to understand a couple of things about them, and its very simple and causes less stress
1.) every camera i put out is not going to ever work
2.) every camera i put out is going to get stolen

If i get pics now, that's a bonus (y)

This is why I buy the cheapest cameras I can find.