Question for you guys that 1/4 your deer and take out

ditchbank

Banned
I have no idea if it was illegal but when I was in my 20s we were one of the very few people to draw tags to Roanoke game lands (now its full every week)we would walk miles into the woods and kill deer and cut them
Up and bring them out. You couldn’t drag a deer as far as some of us walked. Like mentioned, you could go back the next day and between the buzzards and bear there was hardly any sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Also, it's not just the transporting side, but the reporting side as well. Some people that hunt way back don't carry cell phones, or their phone could be dead with no way to charge it till they get out. It's not just about making it till you get service....doesn't matter if you are in a place with signal or not if your phone is dead.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I may leave the guts in the woods to lighten the load but I've never left anything else. I take the whole deer to my favorite processor so they can get every bit of meat possible off of it. Even if I have to haul it 10 feet at a time, I'm not going to waste any of it if I can help it. And there have been times when that is exactly what I had to do.

BattleBornNV

Button Buck
Also, it's not just the transporting side, but the reporting side as well. Some people that hunt way back don't carry cell phones, or their phone could be dead with no way to charge it till they get out. It's not just about making it till you get service....doesn't matter if you are in a place with signal or not if your phone is dead.

One of my pack items is a Goal Zero solar charging pad. For my GPS, phone, and AAA battery charger for my headlamps, flashlights, walkie talkies and SPOT etc. has saved my hind end a few times.
Cell phone coverage is non-existent more than most of the time but I use my phone for my digiscope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I may leave the guts in the woods to lighten the load but I've never left anything else. I take the whole deer to my favorite processor so they can get every bit of meat possible off of it. Even if I have to haul it 10 feet at a time, I'm not going to waste any of it if I can help it. And there have been times when that is exactly what I had to do.

I'm glad you have a processor you trust.
Part of the reason I break all my deer down and process my own is knowing I'm getting everything I can off them.
That's just an added benefit to having to process one way back in somewhere.

I get every single piece of red meat, heart, liver, etc. off all my deer till the bones looks shiny like the critters had already worked it over.
Makes me feel like at least if I HAVE to leave it in the woods, anyone that sees it knows that every usable part is going out with me, and not laying on the ground or in a bucket at a processor.

And I'm telling y'all. Packing 50# in a backpack is way easier than draggin 120# of dead weight over a decent distance. :)

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
I think the biggest thing that they are going to look at is if your tags have a hole punched thru them. Where you attempting to hide the kill. Where were you located, and those regs were made prior to all the cell/smart phones guys have now a days. Shucks some places i go I have reception, but I don't want to be bothered by the dang thing. SO the phone stays in the truck or at the house!! Just depends on how I feel and what kinda hunting plans I have. MY hunt not theirs. No worries most the Wardens are their to assist you and use lots of common sense.