Question for reloaders

Duke Blue

Banned
M855 is 62 gr fmj that gets about 3,000 fps out of a 16" barrel.

Federal fusion makes a 62 gr8 223 bullet.

Can I safely pull the bullets from the m855 and reload the fusions over the same powder charge to get 3,000 fps in my 16" barrel this way?

Thanks,
Tom

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
You can call powder mfg and they can work a load up for you so maybe you could call one and ask this.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
You SHOULD call powder mfg and they can work a load up for you so maybe you could call one and ask this.

Changing just the projectile of a factory load in this manner can be a dangerous situation as one does not know the specifics of the other components (powder burn rate and primer specifications). Different bullets of the same caliber and rate can and do have different load specifications due to their particular shape or ogive details.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Why not see if you can find a load for the fusions that produced the velocity you want? I'm not sure you can get that with a 16" barrel though and maintain any accuracy, but also not sure the loaded rounds that are rated at that will either. That data was probably from a longer barrel.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Changing just the projectile of a factory load in this manner can be a dangerous situation as one does not know the specifics of the other components (powder burn rate and primer specifications). Different bullets of the same caliber and rate can and do have different load specifications due to their particular shape or ogive details.

Thanks for the correction. The "should" part.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
It has been done for years.

If you look at your load data and the bullets it will show the same general load for that bullet.
where you have problems is that you need to do it all the same like crimp and seat on the powder. Going from a load non compressed to a compressed charge will cause spikes in pressure.

The do this all the time for the M1A and M1 garand as the ammo is cheap for match and target FMJ and they use the same shape, design bullet from a 150 FMJ to a BT hunting load.

May not be the best for what you are looking but can be done.
The term is Mexican Match when you change from a normal 150 FMJ to a 150 Match or hunting round.

Fast look in some load books show same powder for many 55, 62, 64 and so on bullets.
Big thing is weight, second is design.

By design I'm saying you don't want to go from a FMJ pointed boat tail to a flat point lead tip or round point. That changes the BC abd can change the pressure.

If the bullet has the same BC, dia, and weight for the most part you could do it fine.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Thickness of the bullet Jacket, bearing surface of the bullet, small changes in the seating depth, all of these can have a big effect on the pressure of a round, just because "they" have been doing this for years doesn't mean it's a good idea,, if you want to reload them reload but I would never take the "shortcut" of replacing bullets in factory ammo. I care to much for my body parts

moosemike

Loads are bullet specific. You should not use a different bullet (even though it is the same weight) than the one specified in the load. Different bullets create different pressures and that changes the load data.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
It is unlikely that M855 or M193 would generate 3000 fps in a 16 inch barrel. These are two very different projectiles and individual loads should be worked up for each. I think the best you get with a 62 grainer out of a 16" barrel is 2800 fps. I don't chase speed though, accuracy is what I'm after.

Sailor

Ah, the devil's in the details, I see.

If the question is "Can I pull the bullet and replace it with another with no other work involved" then I agree with those saying don't do that.

If, on the other hand, the question is "Can I work up a load using the M855 components and my own bullet of the same weight" then yes, of course you can do that.

The bullet weight and powder are the two biggest factors in a load. Worrying over jacket thickness and bearing surface is second potatoes. BUT...the but here is...it is a LONG and PROVEN maxim of loading that you don't change ANYTHING without a safety work-up. You don't just swap out a bullet and 'call it good.'

What this means in practice for the asked question is...there most likely IS a safe load with that brass, that powder, that primer and his bullet of choice. But it's quite possibly NOT with the same powder CHARGE even with the same powder.

The proper procedure here would be to pull the bullet and weigh the powder charge. Do this for 1-2 dozen cartridges. Then, drop down 10-15% from that charge and reload with the new bullet. Work up in (for example) 0.5 grain charge increments, just like any other load work up. When test firing these loads, look for pressure signs and preferably test for accuracy (and reliability, etc).

According to some data online, M855 was loaded with WC844 for which H335 load data is used, or WC846 (which is duplicated by BL(2) load data). Note that there seems to be quite a bit of lot-to-lot burn rate variations with the WC powders used in M855, so LOAD TESTING IS IMPORTANT. That is, if you get different lots of M855, you won't even find the same charge weight.

So, the point is, following sound loading practices, one could use those components to properly work up a load. But as others have stated, there is no way I'd just pull bullets and seat new ones without PROPER testing.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Why screw around pulling/mixing/switching bullets when you can just go and buy a box of Federal Fusion .223 ammo and be done with it? Run it through a chrono and see what it does. Or buy a box of bullets and work up your own load.

grunt

Four Pointer
I would not do it. If you pull the bullet I would not reload the case without sizing the neck. That means removing the powder and having a sizing die that also doesn't remove the primer. I would just shot the ammo as is and then use the fired cases to build a load that works for the gun.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I would not do it. If you pull the bullet I would not reload the case without sizing the neck. That means removing the powder and having a sizing die that also doesn't remove the primer. I would just shot the ammo as is and then use the fired cases to build a load that works for the gun.

You can size the case with a neck sizer. No need for a ball expander.
You can also size a case inside and out with out removing a primmer.
All you do is set the ball and capping pin high or remove the pin. Easy to do and a very common thing.
This is what you do when you load bulk new brass that is factory primmed.

Like most reloading you do it cause it works and you can...