Question for Mountain Trout / Fly Fishing

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My youngest boy wants to go fly fishing in the mountains so bad that it's driving me crazy. He'll grab my old flyrod and whip it back and forth asking am I doing it right? My response is I don't know, but I don't think so.

It'll be a year or two before we get back up there, so by that time, if he still wants to go, he'll be 12 years old. I assume that there are guides up there that could show us what to do and carry us to the fish.
Is one area better than another?
Do I need my own rods?
What about shoes/boots?
Will it be money well spent? (I know that one already)

Can a fat boy like myself do it?

I know nothing about this type of water and fishing?

Thank you,
Joe

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i think you should maybe take the mystery out of fly fishing before he goes. PM me and if you are close enough we can do that in one afternoon at my pond. I am in chatham county.

Fly casting is easier to learn than spinning or baitcasting if you have the right equipment and teacher. And the fly rods work as well on sunfish and bass as they do trout. he wont have to wait a year or more to catch some. :) It's like riding a bike , you can forget how to cast once you have it.

past that in terms of guides there are bunches available in our northern and southern mountains. They do well in the bryson city area on float trips if you have enough confidence in your casting.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
This is what I would reccomend for starters is watch YouTube get some basic instructions then practice in yard then your local pond river catch some blugills. Then when I hit the Mtns first time for trout id hit delayed harvest waters they are easily accessible and stocked full of fish when you get ready to go let me or someone know cam point you in right direction after that you could start hitting some wild streams they are little tougher

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
What kind of fly rod do you have now?

A 4-6 weight is plenty for NC trout.

Depending on the guide service you may not need to bring your own equipment.

Wal Mart does carry inexpensive Cortland line ,tippet , flies and leaders suitable for trout fishing but better quality stuff can be ordered online

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
DC: If/when you’re in the Haywood/Jackson/swain area hit me up I can give you some starting points or go with you and show you the ropes or if you’d prefer a guide I’ve got friends that guide I can get you in contact with. And about the “can a fat boy do it” one of my guide friends is a rather large man himself and I hope he doesn’t read this forum lolol.

Honestly, IMO fly fishing isn’t as difficult as some may suggest and oldest schools offer would be a fantastic starting point for him to get the feel of it.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thank you all for the responses.

Haywoodhunter, I figured a guide would just be the easy way to get started. When I get back up that away, I'll give you a shout.

OS, Can I wear Pirate gear if I get to your place?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
A open bank pond is easy to learn. The new River in Todd is easy wading and plentful with red eyes and rock.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I will take my fly rod about anywhere and fish. This was from a small river near the my house that is pretty shallow and slow moving. Find some ponds or rivers and let him go to town on bream and bass.

e36527a46dffb2d91c11b759841372e3.jpg

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you all for the responses.

Haywoodhunter, I figured a guide would just be the easy way to get started. When I get back up that away, I'll give you a shout.

OS, Can I wear Pirate gear if I get to your place?
Oh yeah on the pirate gear. I love pirate sports.