Question for bullet gurus

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I picked up a box of 168 gr 308 Browning BXCs. Shot them this weekend and they shoot incredibly well, 3 shot groups, all holes touching and that's without letting the barrel cool between shots, just sending them downrange one after another. The bullet is a controlled expansion, heavy for caliber bullet designed for heavier critters like elk, moose and bear.

How will it expand on deer? I'm worried with our thin skinned little wood goats the bullet may punch through and not leave a good blood trail. I do plan on trying them but would like to hear peoples thoughts. Couldn't find much if any info on line on people actually using them on game.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never used them but if your worried about it just punching thru without expanding I would shoot square in the shoulder and break some shoulders.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Break some bone and you will have plenty of blood out of a 308 with most any bullet....I reload the Hornady 165 grain Interlocks and no problem bringing down any buck that walks.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
You may be fine but why take the chance if you're worried about them not expanding? The buck of a lifetime may walk out and you surely don't need to be second guessing your gear. Confidence in your gear makes all the difference in the world when it comes to hunting imo, pick up a box of bullets designed for deer like a good ole cup and core soft point or something similar. Good luck.

Last edited:

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone here ever used that BXR bullet?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I haven’t used it , I’m a Nosler snob myself. But looking around some I found the BXR rounds were possibly a better choice for thin skinned game.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I agree the BXRs would probably be better suited, similar to deer season XPs but the BXCs shoot incredibly well, better than match bullets out of the same gun. I've tried Nosler accubonds (favorite bullet ever), Sierra game kings, cor locks, federal fusions, hornady ELD-X and SSTs all out of this rifle and none of them shoot real well, at least as well as I'd expect out of an XCR compact tactical.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
i'd put one in the boiler room and see what happens...it's a 168 grain .308 load for big game.

maybe anchor the first one with a shoulder shot and see what the damage looks like, then if it looks good go for the double lung behind the shoulder after that.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Problem is not everyone is capable of this and doing it right every time.
Then they need to practice more. Also if a lot of people would shoot smaller calibers than big heavy magnums the flinch factor would help in bullet placement. 6mm has put a lot of deer DRT with a high neck or head shot. Get more meat also don’t eat the head anyway

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Problem is not everyone is capable of this and doing it right every time.
True...
But what would you tell someone that starts out bow hunting. Practice practice practice to the point you feel confident in taking the shot.
This is the same way. If you cant keep.a 2 in max group keep shooting and learn to get that sub 2" group.
When you can do that you will be able to kill a deer with any shot you take if you control the shot and shot placement.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
True...
But what would you tell someone that starts out bow hunting. Practice practice practice to the point you feel confident in taking the shot.
This is the same way. If you cant keep.a 2 in max group keep shooting and learn to get that sub 2" group.
When you can do that you will be able to kill a deer with any shot you take if you control the shot and shot placement.
This is very true, it was geared more towards the crowd that take their rifle out once a year make sure it’s close on paper and or don’t even shoot it before season that I was referring to. It’s like everything else you get out of it what you put into it.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Most of the bullets I reload now are controlled expansion, so that if I happen to see a bear in season I don’t have to worry about my bullet selection. I haven’t shot a ton of deer with them, but I’ve been very impressed on the ones I have shot. Very good, and short, blood trails. Most of my experience has been Nosler ABs or Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, this year I will be shooting Barnes TTSX out of my 308.