Question about Sighting In

lwhicks3

Button Buck
Contributor
Does anyone know of a range near the Raleigh area, where I can sight in a new compound bow?

I’ve found a couple possible options, but haven’t been able to talk to anyone who would really know.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Thanks to you both! I’ll ride over there one day soon and check them out.

I think you are going to need a range bigger than 20 yards. A better bet might be to buy The Block (or another target) and a get access to a field or large backyard. If sighting in a single PIN you are going to need at least 60 yards.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you were close, you could come to my house. I live near Winston Salem. You're still welcome to come here. I'm getting ready to re-sight mine in. I'm adjusting the dove tail to get a better sight housing halo......so, I will start all over (somewhat). I also want to set a 50 and 60.

Someone here should help you out. Good group.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
You will find the relevant information at the top of page 67 of the Regulations Digest. It mentions the game lands where you can't carry archery equipment except for hunting and a few other purposes. Jordan and Falls are listed. Also it defines target shooting as the discharge of firearms for purposes other than hunting, trapping or self-defense. Since a compound bow is not a firearm, it does not fall under the "target shooting is prohibited" restriction listed for Harris on page 71.

NickB

Button Buck
In regards to target shooting on the Harris game land... Another member emailed them and got the following response:

"I received your email about target shooting with archery equipment and you asked if it falls into the definition, our take on this is that any target shooting whether firearms or archery is considered target shooting so it would be a prohibited activity.

Most likely you can find a private landowner that would be agreeable to allow you to shoot your bow as long as you don’t leave anything behind, I would try looking there or the nearest WRC archery range is likely the Caswell Range located in Caswell County, or the Lentz Range in Richmond County (which is under a renovation right now and is closed), you can click on the link below to get to our website and show all ranges in NC.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

----------------------
Chris A. Teague
Northern Piedmont Technician Supervisor
NC Wildlife Resources Commission
Mailing Address: 1718 Hwy. 56 W
Creedmoor, North Carolina 27522
office: 919-707-0375 // "

Another option in the Triangle area is to join NCBA (https://www.ncbowhunter.com/). They have a campground up in Butner where you can sight-in/practice. Again, you'll need to join ($30 or less per year) and then message the members in charge of the campground for the lock combo. Butner is a little bit of a haul from southern Wake, but I'm in North Raleigh and its only about a 20 minute drive for me.