Question about muzzleload refs

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
I’ve have a question about muzzleload season for south mtn game land. I live in Rutherford county so we are under the northwest season now and our season on private land for muzzleload is not until next month. But if I’m reading the regs right it say the muzzleload season for all areas of south mtn game land is open now

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Game lands seasons can be different than the "region" they are located in. Always check the gamelands section of the regs....

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yes they kept SMGL in the western season dates (despite most of the gl being in Rutherford and Cleveland) .

Deer population is low though so that may be why

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Correct south mtn ML season follows western dates Sept 30th start date which is today and rifle also follows western

Reactions: CRC

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Correct south mtn ML season follows western dates Sept 30th start date which is today and rifle also follows western
Thanks turkeyfoot I was looking in the reg book last night and just seen that I knew they did something diff at south mtn. I only live 12 mile from it and used to hunt that land a lot before it became game land I might just mosey on in there some this week. The only day that is either sex will be coming Saturday

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Yes they kept SMGL in the western season dates (despite most of the gl being in Rutherford and Cleveland) .

Deer population is low though so that may be why
How do you know. Ever been in them woods. I live next to it and have hunted it years before it became game land. Just some walking and going to where the deer are

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
How do you know. Ever been in them woods. I live next to it and have hunted it years before it became game land. Just some walking and going to where the deer are
He's not wrong. Its not exactly loaded with deer. If I lived really close to SMGL, then I would hunt it. But its not worth the 1 hour drive for me.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
He's not wrong. Its not exactly loaded with deer. If I lived really close to SMGL, then I would hunt it. But its not worth the 1 hour drive for me.
It’s only 10 min for me. The Rutherford county side And I know that land very good. I know it’s not loaded with deer and I have spoken with wildlife about it. They can’t give a reason why no more deer are killed but I think I can get to some of the areas that I used to hunt and see deer

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks turkeyfoot I was looking in the reg book last night and just seen that I knew they did something diff at south mtn. I only live 12 mile from it and used to hunt that land a lot before it became game land I might just mosey on in there some this week. The only day that is either sex will be coming Saturday
Double check on doe days I'm pretty sure for Blackpowder all days are doe days. I've hunted south mtn fair amt there are for sure deer there just gotta know where to find them of course that's just western public land hunting.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The biologists have said the habitat is too poor to increase the deer herd (habitat improvements have not and will not result in an increased deer herd)

Blackpowder season is either-sex all season

So is the archery seasons except the late archery season on the portion in Burke and McDowell Cos is antlered deer only

Only gun season has introductory either-sex

Last edited:

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
It’s only 10 min for me. The Rutherford county side And I know that land very good. I know it’s not loaded with deer and I have spoken with wildlife about it. They can’t give a reason why no more deer are killed but I think I can get to some of the areas that I used to hunt and see deer
If I was 10 min away then I would hunt the snot out of it.

The locals in the area keep the deer population down. Many of them don't follow the rules.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
If I was 10 min away then I would hunt the snot out of it.

The locals in the area keep the deer population down. Many of them don't follow the rules.
Yes the locals do There is an group from Vietnam that lives close and have heard that they shoot deer anytime of the year And of course the good old boys get their share but don’t report the kills