Quarantine Workouts/Elk Hunting Workouts

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Elk season is about 4 months out. Although I prep year round for my out of state hunts, it's really time to kick it into high gear. Gyms/YMCAs and park walking trails may be closed or limited, but that doesn't mean you still can't work out. I hate going to a gym anyways, haven't been to one in over 10 years. I tailor my workouts to my busy schedule and try to combine multiple activities.

Today's workout. I loaded my pack up with a 40lb bag of play sand and a couple other items to get my pack weight to 50lbs. I donned my pack, grabbed my bow and headed to the back yard. I need to make sure I am comfortable shooting my bow with a heavy pack on my back, but also need to incorporate some leg workouts. I start off at 20 yds and with my pack on, I shoot 5 arrows. After shooting, with my pack still on, I do lunges all the way down and back to the target. I repeat this at 30, 40, 50 and 60 yds. By the end, my legs are jello. This workout combines archery practice, pack weight simulation and leg strength training. It also helps me get used to shooting when my legs are burned out and shaking, simulating a long climb/difficult climb up the mountain and then having that trophy bull (or cow) step out and give you a shot. It's all fine and dandy that you can drill the 12 ring in comfortable shooting position in your back yard, but can you do it when you are dog tired, legs are weak, shoulders aching from your heavy pack? Will you even be able to draw your bow at the moment of truth? There is no way to know unless you try and simulate it as close as possible at home.

If you haven't been doing some weight training with your pack, I recommend starting off this workout without any weight. Just doing lunges down and back with just your body weight is a good start. Then, every week, you can add weight. Work you way up to heavier weights. You could potentially injure yourself by starting off too heavy.

Feel free to add any of your at home workouts. They don't have to be geared towards western hunting. Just anything to help prevent us from gaining the "Quarantine 15!" I will post some more of mine throughout the next coming days.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
You hunting Elk in high country ?
If so, you might try hiking hills with a pack in thinner air when you have a chance.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
You hunting Elk in high country ?
If so, you might try hiking hills with a pack in thinner air when you have a chance.
I hunt from 9-11,000 feet. No way to simulate that altitude in NC. You have to get above 6,000 for there to be any real difference, anyways. But, I still do plenty of hiking. Before all this Covid crap I was doing 10-12 miles a week on various trails, mostly in stone mountain or the gorge, plus scouting trips on Thurmond chatham and pond mountain. All with pack weights of 35-50lbs.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I followed your trip to Alaska last year. I know you prepare well. Was just throwing that out there. You could make a trip to Mt. Mitchell and hike from the parkway to the summit.
Your lungs would be burning, for sure.
I'm sure you'll be fine, though.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I try to get in a "Test hike" before my trips with my full kit. Cold mountain is a good one to do. Hike to the top, camp, morning coffee on the summit, hike back. Typical training for me is usually just trail running and some weighted hikes. everyone is different when it comes to altitude, for me and the 2 other guys I go with it has not be much of an issue.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
go to local HS stadium and climb up and down the steps for a week
THEN add a day pack and a few bricks for a couple wks
THEN add another 5 bricks for a week, THEN add a cinder block, then 2 cinder blocks AFTER you've graduated to your pack frame. THEN 3 cinder blocks, etc, etc.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I hunt from 9-11,000 feet. No way to simulate that altitude in NC. You have to get above 6,000 for there to be any real difference, anyways. But, I still do plenty of hiking. Before all this Covid crap I was doing 10-12 miles a week on various trails, mostly in stone mountain or the gorge, plus scouting trips on Thurmond chatham and pond mountain. All with pack weights of 35-50lbs.

You could buy a gas mask and wear it while you train.

I spent the day busting wood with a maul. I'd imagine you could bust some wood in between shoots. Couldn't hurt.

Great thread by the way.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Crappy weather and work has delayed some outdoor workouts. This morning's workout was as follows.

50 push ups x 4 sets
100 crunches x 4 sets
Pack on with 80lbs in it, 25 squats x 4 sets.
Reduce pack weight to 50lbs, then got on treadmill, incline set at 10 and did 2 miles. I hate a treadmill but utilize what I got while its nasty out.

My legs are on fire this morning.

Heading on a camping trip this weekend. Planning on some 3-5 mile hikes with 40-50lbs.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Here is a workout program for wildland firefighters, but should serve the same purpose for western hunting. I'll pick and choose some of the exercises, but when it's good weather I'd rather run or hike.... well I guess I probably jog more than run, but either way. 5-6 mile runs most days but switch up a few days a week with walks or hikes with a weight vest.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
that otta do it!
when ya adding 10 more lbs to the pack?
WTG!
When I do long, strenuous hikes, I rarely carry more than 50lbs. Risk for injury is much higher with heavy weights, no need to hurt myself training. I do walks around my neighborhood with 80-120lbs. Terrain is mild in the neighborhood, a couple decent hills. But I'm more just testing my pack and fit with heavy weights, looking for hot spots. Everything I have read and most of the big time elk gurus don't recommend super heavy weights in your pack for extended training sessions.

Today's workout was quite simple. Got up this morning at 0500 and went on a 5 mile run. Average pace 8:23. Average heart rate was 162.

wl704

Ten Pointer
There are a few decent free workouts available from mtntough each year, some with a pack others without. They will kick your butt (careful with the bear if you're older, like me, last time I did it I ended up with a bulging disc)...

Here are a few:
22s
The Ibex
The mind splitter
The bear

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Hiked 15 miles last weekend around Stone Mountain state park. Pack weight ranged from 35lbs to 5 yr old daughter on my shoulders!

Wednesday I pulled up two 8ft long telephone poles out of my pasture. Instead of using the tractor to take them to the wood pile, I just flipped them end over end all the way to the pile. 300 yds one direction. Great work out. Incorporated legs and arms by making sure I pushed the pole up until arms were fully extended over my head before flipping.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
get some of the ankle weights, just put them on every day and go about your normal business for when you aren't training, that extra 2.5# each leg will help, wouldn't suggest it with shorts and sandals though lol

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
This morning I did one of my favorite work outs. Grabbed my bow and headed out the door. My driveway is 300 yds long. So, what I do is I jog to the top of my driveway, drop down, do 25 push-ups and then sprint as hard as I can all the way back down. Pick up my bow, knock an arrow and take one shot at my target. I want to get my shot off within 10 seconds. I then repeat this exact scenario for a total of 10 rounds. Sprinting really gets the heart rate up, so it's good cardio. Also, it is training me to make an accurate shot while my heart is pounding, my breathing is heavy, and my arms are starting to get tired after a couple hundred push-ups. I also shoot at an unmarked spot every single time. No stopping at my known 20 or 40 yd spot, I just run until I come to a spot, draw my bow, estimate yardage and shoot. Sometimes I sprint to within 15 yds of my target, sometimes I stop 60 or so yds out. This morning, I put 9 out of 10 shots in the vitals. I jerked shot number 8, which was about 35 or so yards and put it right in the guts. I wasn't controlling my breathing very well and was wobbling all over the place and punched the trigger.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
This morning I did one of my favorite work outs. Grabbed my bow and headed out the door. My driveway is 300 yds long. So, what I do is I jog to the top of my driveway, drop down, do 25 push-ups and then sprint as hard as I can all the way back down. Pick up my bow, knock an arrow and take one shot at my target. I want to get my shot off within 10 seconds. I then repeat this exact scenario for a total of 10 rounds. Sprinting really gets the heart rate up, so it's good cardio. Also, it is training me to make an accurate shot while my heart is pounding, my breathing is heavy, and my arms are starting to get tired after a couple hundred push-ups. I also shoot at an unmarked spot every single time. No stopping at my known 20 or 40 yd spot, I just run until I come to a spot, draw my bow, estimate yardage and shoot. Sometimes I sprint to within 15 yds of my target, sometimes I stop 60 or so yds out. This morning, I put 9 out of 10 shots in the vitals. I jerked shot number 8, which was about 35 or so yards and put it right in the guts. I wasn't controlling my breathing very well and was wobbling all over the place and punched the trigger.
i would hate to be your target elk. he aint got a chance. :)

23mako

Ten Pointer
Been doing a lot of stuff with kettlebells. They may be harder to get now but they provide a great workout. Some good stuff on here! 45629

Bolt

Four Pointer
I work out year round but had to adapt when COVID closed the gyms. I purchased a TRX strap and I already had curl bar several dumbbells and kettle bells, I was able to maintain my fitness until the gyms opened here in SC. The TRX straps are surprisingly effective. WO schedule below

Sunday = Legs 1.5 hour in the gym, 1 hour of heavy leg WO and 30 with a 60 lb pack on stair stepper. Come home carb up and 2 mile ruck with the pack around the neighborhood. Eat Eat Eat.
Monday = back and core day, 1 hour in the gym high intensity back WO, come home eat rest and run 3 miles Eat Eat Eat
Tuesday = 4 mile hike with my son in his carrier on my back 35 lbs early AM. Arm and shoulder day 1 hour in the Gym
Wednesday = Light chest (not important but have to balance back) then high intensity crossfit with dead lift for 1 hour. 3 mile run
Thursday = 4 mile hike with son on back as before no gym
Friday = rest day
Saturday = 7 mile hike with son on my back, this hike has 2000' of elevation gain
Sunday = rest and Church

Food this is just as important as if not more than the WOs
I eat high fat diet, not Keto, I eat high fat in the morning and at night after WOs
I snack all day, nuts, rice cakes, jerky, lots of greens.
I mostly eat game I have harvested ( 3-4 times a week) other meals with have chicken or salmon. I always have two vegetables on the plate.
I eat 1-2 meal replacements a day in addition to 3 meals and snacks
calorie intake is 3500- 4000 a day
I hunt out West almost every year, most places are rough country. All backpack walk in hunts, lots of elevation gain 5-8 miles a day (unless on elk)
I have had 0 issues on the mountain when it comes to fitness but it is a passion of mine that drives me all year.
I sit at 185-190 lbs and 12-15% body fat, 1.5 months before I leave I will put on an additions 5% body fat (will keep you warm at night)

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Rowing machine hands down. 5000 meters a night. Start with a 50lb pack then move to 80 a month before the trip. Hiking always in my mountain hiking boots. Shoot the bow 3 evenings a week.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Did 3 miles Saturday with 30 lb in a new to me pack I got with a frame I bought for a spare/my tree stand. I'll do 2-3 training hikes (5 miles or so is what I'm shooting for each time) a week after the 4th, some running, some weight training. I don't really do the heavy weight in my pack while training, maybe 40 lb max. Just gotta be prepared for the suck when packing out more than one elk quarter or a whole deer. Helps that I'm in the mountains now and I have a good little walk in the neighborhood when walking my dogs.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just walk around in a clear cut, in the middle of a 90 degree day, wearing muck boots and with a backpack on. That will have you sucking wind in no time. It worked for me yesterday, anyway.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Been a little slack here lately. Was at the beach last week, so no major hiking or anything like that. Did run 3-4 miles a day every morning on the beach. Mowed the yard yesterday and instead of using the Z-turn on the whole yard, I pushed mowed the back yard, about 1/2 acre, wearing my pack with a 50lb bag of sand in it. Heading over the Rocky Face park here shortly to hike.