Q for the Master Baiters

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm taking a friend to a property I rarely hunt, in hopes that he might get himself a shot at a deer with his bow.

If I put out some corn before this rain, will the rain affect it to the point they won't eat it? I've heard it will "sour". I have no idea of the time frame required for that to occur.

Thanks.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Right now they are hungry and mine won't lay around long enough to sour, but after peak rut and gun they have went mainly night i'm just hoping to get a doe last week.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So just the fact it gets wet.....doesn't mean it goes "bad"? It takes some time (after it gets wet)?

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Having raised field corn and soy in rotation for years I can assure you that dry grain will still be palatable to deer in early spring.

Lance

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Spread it and they will come... if it sours or ferments, you will have some drunks running around.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Trust me. I have nothing against baiting. I’m either going to bait on one property next year - or plant food plots.

Can’t argue with results. Good for you.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Spread it thin. Rain doesn't bother it too much, but if it's going to rain a lot, sometimes I'll wait until after it passes. I do see a slight preference for dry corn over really soaked corn.

The main problem is when non-master baiters just dump the bag in a pile, then it sours quickly with rain.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Spread it thin. Rain doesn't bother it too much, but if it's going to rain a lot, sometimes I'll wait until after it passes. I do see a slight preference for dry corn over really soaked corn.

The main problem is when non-master baiters just dump the bag in a pile, then it sours quickly with rain.

Duly noted.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Trust me. I have nothing against baiting. I’m either going to bait on one property next year - or plant food plots.

Can’t argue with results. Good for you.
Yes, we not only feed to bring in deer during deer season to shoot. We feed year round to build and keep deer on our property. We’re spending more on high protein and fat feed and less on food plots going forward. Banks feeders work nicely. Rain on corn this time of year is perfect.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That thing (Banks) looks great.

Can you secure it to the 4x4 pretty well anti-theft)? I know someone could just cut the post, but that would require a little effort.

Thanks.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
That thing (Banks) looks great.

Can you secure it to the 4x4 pretty well anti-theft)? I know someone could just cut the post, but that would require a little effort.

Thanks.
We use the 4X4 post that works nicely, but we haven’t had to worry about theft...so far.

hayco10

Eight Pointer
If you can find cob corn in your area that’s your best bet. It will last a long time.

Unless you have lots of squirrels, they take a cob at a time and store it away in a nest or hollow tree. I put out 50 pounds and there was no sign of it after 3 days. I watched the tree rats taking most of it away

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
While I have the masters here, I have two more questions:

1. How many feeding stations would you suggest for 100 acres?

2. Same q re: mineral sites.

Thanks

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Unless you have lots of squirrels, they take a cob at a time and store it away in a nest or hollow tree. I put out 50 pounds and there was no sign of it after 3 days. I watched the tree rats taking most of it away
I rarely use cob because of that. One squirrel can take 10 cobs/hour. Works better in the open though, where the hawks can pick them up.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
In no master but it would kinda depend on how 100 acres lays some 2 would be it but if it borders land with multiple bedding and mixed habitat I could see 3 or 4. Some land hunts better for small acreage. If say 100 hardwood the 2 wood be it for me

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
While I have the masters here, I have two more questions:

1. How many feeding stations would you suggest for 100 acres?

2. Same q re: mineral sites.

Thanks
We have less than 1/100 acres, so one should work if it’s in a good location. We use both bank feeders and troughs, but going mostly banks in the future. I don’t hunt over our yearly feeders. We mostly stop using them during hunting season and members put out corn in other locations. But, a member loaded one of the bank feeders last week and 8 does and a 14” eight pointer showed up to feed from it yesterday, while he hunted. We’re going to mix our minerals with the feed this year. Last year we spend $1K on several ground sites.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I would do 2 feeding stations and have mineral site close to that. More chance they will find and use it.

Also on a 100 acre area gives you 2 clear hunting zones for weather, wind, or 2 people to hunt.
As for corn, spread it out look for higher areas out of water or under larger trees that have protection from all the rain.
I had a few trees I could cut an X on the bag and use the bag for a makeshift feeder and would be dry when I went back after rain being sheltered from rain some.
Camo corn bags work great for feeders. One bag cut, one spread out thin so they find it.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
So one minerals site/100 ac?

I’d have guessed 2-3.
We were told this year that our $1000 we spent on minerals was mostly wasted, besides getting nice photos all summer. We’re going to mix the minerals directly into our feed this year, adding soy oil to get more fat. We’ll know more next year. The deer farms are growing 300 B&C bucks with high power feed program. We’re hoping for an additional 15”. What we’ve been doing isn’t working to improve antlers very much. We had the oldest average buck age this year with several 4 1/2 and nothing scored over 120. Some parts of the state, like northern piedmont get what they need naturally. I’ve decided high protein kudzu plays are role, but no proof. Not much research on what works in the wild where something is lacking. With help from some deer fam growers, we’re doing our own in the field research. Could all be a waste, but we have a plan.:)