Python Hunters

richard corn

Ten Pointer
Getting ready for your trip to S Fla I'm sure. What kind of weapons will you employ to help rid the Glades of these destructive beasts. Are you prepared for the moccasins, pygmy rattlers, coral snakes, and the venerable eastern diamondback. Camping out or staying in a Motel 6? Please share your stories..can"t wait to read them. Good luck to all and be safe

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
None of the above. The latest method uses a drone with IR to locate them then the drone operator guides someone in to make the catch/kill. Things have progresses since the pay program began.

When it first began I wanted to go but the pay out was so low there was no way to even break even let alone come out ahead. The pay changed and it attracted a different crowd and now it's wide open.

richard corn

Ten Pointer
Still more hunters/adventurers/reptile bounty hunters need to get involved. Back when the inaugural event took place Burmese Pythons were estimated at 100,000 in S Fla. Last week that numbered at 300,000. They're wrecking the ecosystem in the Everglades. They clearly are out-breeding the competition, evident in the fact that the two big ones caught last week were responsible for 100 eggs. Kill em all and throw in a few iguanas too.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Still more hunters/adventurers/reptile bounty hunters need to get involved. Back when the inaugural event took place Burmese Pythons were estimated at 100,000 in S Fla. Last week that numbered at 300,000. They're wrecking the ecosystem in the Everglades. They clearly are out-breeding the competition, evident in the fact that the two big ones caught last week were responsible for 100 eggs. Kill em all and throw in a few iguanas too.

Some years ago I took an airboat trip out of Everglades City. There were white egrets and other birds all through the trees. Two years ago, I took another trip and there were hardly any birds to be seen.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I just listened to mossy oak gamekeepers podcast today and they had a biologist that his main job was catching pythons. He said the best method they’d found was tagging male pythons with transmitters and watching for certain behavior ques and they’d lead them to the big females during breeding g season. He said it wasn’t uncommon to go in and find the tagged male with the female and there would be several other males trying to breed as well. He said that was the most effective method they’d found.