• Just a heads up for those of you who use Tapatalk to access NCH&F. I will be removing support for that app effective immediately. The reasons are many, but the primary one is that it allows spammers to post here without first being authorized to do so. This, coupled with their increasingly aggressive and invasive ads and pop ups, has caused us to remove them from the site entirely.

Pyrenees Puppies

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
4 male Pyrenees up for discussion. Sire is registered. Dam is not. But they're purebred. Will be raised around goats. $350

Born April 3. Ready June 12.

I know it's early. Just gauging interest.

Here are the best pics we can get. They're not the most cooperative. Will update as they get older.

Edited to add: pups are in the house for now. They're taken outside 4 times per day to nurse, and bottle fed from sundown to sun up.

When they hit 3 weeks, they'll spend the majority of the day outside with their parents and the goats. Goats will kid later this month, so they'll get kid exposure too.

Attachments

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I know of a family who has one that guards between 500 and 1,000 free range chickens in PA, where coyote number are high. Owner told me the dog is completely bonded with the flock and they have no significant predator issues. Closer to home, a family that lives a couple miles from my house (in Vance County) have many goats in a fenced pasture. If you stop your car on the road side to watch them, up to 4 GP will move in your direction, but display no aggression. They appear to be a wonderful breed, and dedicated.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I know of a family who has one that guards between 500 and 1,000 free range chickens in PA, where coyote number are high. Owner told me the dog is completely bonded with the flock and they have no significant predator issues. Closer to home, a family that lives a couple miles from my house (in Vance County) have many goats in a fenced pasture. If you stop your car on the road side to watch them, up to 4 GP will move in your direction, but display no aggression. They appear to be a wonderful breed, and dedicated.
They really are awesome dogs. My brother has one. He got it because his wife wanted a Samoyed, and the Pyr came with the Samoyed (rescue, owners had died.) Super gentle with all kids. Always on alert. He's a big fluffy teddy bear that's also a vicious killer of anything that comes over their fence. When we vacation together, many times the neighbors will have rented out to a big family of young kids. The dog is always sitting, at the top of the yard, watching all the kids swimming and playing on the beach.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
How are these dogs around other dogs that may come close to their livestock? If they are raised with other dogs will they allow those dogs near their livestock? I think it will be a slippery slope, one wrong move from my small dog towards a goat and they could be hurt.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How are these dogs around other dogs that may come close to their livestock? If they are raised with other dogs will they allow those dogs near their livestock? I think it will be a slippery slope, one wrong move from my small dog towards a goat and they could be hurt.
They typically don't allow anything that may harm their charges to come close to them. That includes most other animals, including other dogs. They are LGD, it really can't be trained out of them easily.
They don't really get aggressive unless they are actively guarding something, then they are all in.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ours don't mind our chihuahuas, but we also don't let them(chihuahuas) in with the goats. When we had the Pyrenees around the house, our chihuahuas would bark at them, and they would just lay there.

But what Eric said, is 100% accurate.