PVC Fleshing Board

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Planning to make a fleshing board from PVC because I really need a cheap alternative to the hardwood fleshing beams you can get from trapping supply companies. Has anyone ever done this or made something similar from PVC?

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I made this last year. Its not pretty but it works. I originally made it out of wood but found I was biting into the wood occasionally when fleshing and read PVC worked a lot better for that reason so I bought a piece and mounted it over the wood.

MVIMG_20200126_105337.jpg

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I made this last year. Its not pretty but it works. I originally made it out of wood but found I was biting into the wood occasionally when fleshing and read PVC worked a lot better for that reason so I bought a piece and mounted it over the wood.

View attachment 40194

Thanks! Where did you get the bottom part that the fleshing board sits on? Or did you make that?

I know I'll have to find a way to secure the fleshing board to the floor, but I'm a bit confused on how to do that.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Thanks! Where did you get the bottom part that the fleshing board sits on? Or did you make that?

I know I'll have to find a way to secure the fleshing board to the floor, but I'm a bit confused on how to do that.

I made it. It's part of the original wood beam. When I upgraded to PVC I just slid the PVC over the wood beam and screwed it together from the bottom. Mine doesn't attach to the floor, you can stand on the part that extends along the floor to hold it in place. I guess you could secure it but I've never done so.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
[QUOTE="nhn2a, post: 814379, member: 1977"
Mine doesn't attach to the floor, you can stand on the part that extends along the floor to hold it in place. I guess you could secure it but I've never done so.
[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. I thought it had to be secured, but if not, that is better for me. I just wish I could see how you made the beam from wood. Will just look around on YouTube for some how to videos. I don't know anything about woodworking, but I'm willing to give it a go. Thank you for the info!

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Just google "building a fleshing beam". You'll see some photos and tutorials. Thats all I did. I made my wood one too short which required me to bend a lot and I could really feel it in my back. I fixed that when I added the PVC so I can stand up straight now when fleshing.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The Cook Creek guy shows a nice on. Simple to build but to get the pvc like it needs to be will take a fair amount of grinding and sanding. One advantage to his system I see is that he has beams of different width to use on different furs.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
The Cook Creek guy shows a nice on. Simple to build but to get the pvc like it needs to be will take a fair amount of grinding and sanding. One advantage to his system I see is that he has beams of different width to use on different furs.

Thanks! Tried to watch Coon Creek Outdoors' video on it this morning, but the Internet would not cooperate at my house. Will see if I can watch it now on my lunch break.

Thank you both!

KrisB

Ten Pointer
And there goes my plan! :(

Just watched Coon Creek Outdoors' and Noble Savage's YouTube videos on making PVC fleshing beams and I don't have the tools/machines to do it.

Will see if maybe I can find someone willing to sell me one on Trapperman.

Thanks anyway, guys!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All it would take is a circular saw and a hammer. To you buy/have one made you could purchase one used in a pawn shop, build it yourself and have the tool for another project later on.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
c43117f06dbc4993fd533d4afd3bbcd9.jpg

88141015bfd8cccaae60683e73d8a434.jpg

8c284561d7a6311b1a325da5d1b13ae8.jpg

198db9e8fc1b91986646d0b9b15db3c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Here is mine. It’s about 10 years old and has lived outside, uncovered for most of that. It’s treated pine. Pretty cheap. A door hinge lets the beam move if you needed to knock out the dowel and fold it up for storage, or raise or lower the dowel to adjust height. It hits me about bellybutton high and works just fine for fleshing capes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk