Push Button Calls

nchunter78

Six Pointer
This thread can serve a couple of purposes.

I have a Quaker Boy Easy Yelper push button style call and I am 100% convinced that these types of calls should be in every turkey hunter's vest. I never really took the time to look for a "quality" version because I was always fascinated with various types of custom box and pot calls and forgot to research push button variety.

Every now and then, the Easy Yelper will hit something in my vest and make a sound and that's not exactly good when hunting....I make enough mistakes out there! Does anyone have tricks to deal with this?

Does anyone know of any high quality "push button" style calls that they have used and would recommend?
I did a little research and came across two names:

1. Davis Loftis (South Carolina)
Seems to be well known for the "Chatterbox." I have ordered one but have not received it yet. He said this year's orders are higher than ever. I will also give him a plug for a call I have received. It is his the other call he is known for "Crystal Screamer" - it is a pot call and while I have only had the chance to hunt with it once, I really do like it.

2. Winky Hicks (Alabama)
Now with a name like Winky Hicks, you almost have to assume that the guy is a turkey slayer. Just take my money. He is old school and does not do much on the internet. Have any of you heard of him? From what I have read he has been around for a long time. I found an old post in another forum and it had is phone number listed and sure enough, that's still his number and he is still making his "Sweet Wild Hen" push button yelper. His call has a "lock" so it will not accidentally produce yelps while in your vest. Also, he attaches a small slate board so you can use it as a combo call too.

The call from Winky cost me $40 but I told @Familyman that the phone call alone was worth $20! He takes your name and address, makes the call and sends it to you. You send a check after you get the call. Old School!

I'd love to hear your thoughts about push button calls and if any of you have experiences with either of these call makers. As for the products I listed, I do want to stress that I have not had a chance to use them extensively, but I did want to share what I had found so far. I will try to upload some pics.

nchunter78

Six Pointer
Winky Hicks "Sweet Wild Hen"

Notice the hand written instructions. I guess some people have trouble figuring out the lock :)

qkymLPx.png

6JBoFaN.jpg

WKBhGDl.jpg

ol bob

Six Pointer
Shannon is not taking orders at this time but they do come up for sell from time to time.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My "Coffin" push button call has a small lock but it does not work well. To keep mine silent in the vest pocket I use a strong rubber band to strap the plunger in place- keeps it quiet in the vest pocket.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
i have never used that type call. but i may get a winky hicks just to have a winky hicks call. Love that name.
And love the simplicity of his call.
Same. I'm not a push pin fan but I always adding calls to the collection. I'd give it a shot in the woods.

I'd like his info as well nchunter78.

nchunter78

Six Pointer
Pretty sure ol' Winky doesn't mind me sharing - (251) 231-8086 is Winky's number. Just keep in mind that while he uses this number for selling turkey calls, he probably uses it as his personal number too. I try to call during normal business hours.

If any of you talk yo him, I'd love to hear how it goes. I found him to be quite the character and another "hunting character" that I have added to the long list of characters that I have met in this "hobby" :)

Not a push pin guy but David Loftis makes excellent calls and I am a huge fan of his Crystal Screamer. I have both the original and the double barrel two sider. I prefer the original but that is more of a confidence thing. Had on from Shannon at OG and it was beautiful and sounded great, just not for me. A friend has a nice little collection of the Shannon push pins and he can make those sound awesome. I would recommend them on sound for sure.

7h1YYZll.jpg

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
The push button I bought from Dick Kirby (which he signed) bout 25 yrs ago has a spring that can be released by twisting the paddle, so it makes NO SOUND.
Can't you twist the paddle to relieve spring pressure?
OR twist open and insert a pc of paper tween paddle and anvil?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty sure ol' Winky doesn't mind me sharing - (251) 231-8086 is Winky's number. Just keep in mind that while he uses this number for selling turkey calls, he probably uses it as his personal number too. I try to call during normal business hours.

If any of you talk yo him, I'd love to hear how it goes. I found him to be quite the character and another "hunting character" that I have added to the long list of characters that I have met in this "hobby" :)
Mr. Hicks was exactly as you described. Very entertaining and helpful. I could not talk him into trading guns (his 12 guage model 12 for my 16 guage model 12.) though he does promise I will have a call in time to kill one with it this year.
Thanks again for the info.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Mr. Hicks was exactly as you described. Very entertaining and helpful. I could not talk him into trading guns (his 12 guage model 12 for my 16 guage model 12.) though he does promise I will have a call in time to kill one with it this year.
I ordered me one too earlier today too. I was surprised to hear him say he'd put it in the mail today! He's a character...and a turkey hunting fanatic. Two qualities I admire in a human being! He's our kinda people!

nchunter78

Six Pointer
Glad to hear! He told me if he a Gobbler doesn't come to his call then you might as well pack up your bags and go home LOL. I wonder how many times he has used that line?

nchunter78

Six Pointer
I already figured that even if I never kill a turkey using Winky's call, I have already broken even just from meeting him and sharing the experience with others!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Sweet Wild Hen aint a bad name for a call either. :)

I wish I had gotten him to play his call. I think when i get mine I'll call him back and tell him to show me what they are supposed to sound like. He alreday has texted me telling me how to condition the slate with a scotch guard pad.
I'll let him tell you about his model 12 that kills them "way out there" with a load that I have never heard of, some kind of blend.

I think this may be how people really get into collecting calls. every callmaker i have ever talked with is passionate about the sport and their product. Hard not to buy from them.

nchunter78

Six Pointer
I think this may be how people really get into collecting calls. every callmaker i have ever talked with is passionate about the sport and their product. Hard not to buy from them.
I think you may have nailed that one. I was never into collecting calls but I know more about these types of calls and the people that make them than I ever thought I would know! I have 2 others coming in the mail this week and the funny thing is that these are not even my favorite types of calls. I was just looking for an upgrade to my Quaker Boy!

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Sweet Wild Hen aint a bad name for a call either. :)

I wish I had gotten him to play his call. I think when i get mine I'll call him back and tell him to show me what they are supposed to sound like. He alreday has texted me telling me how to condition the slate with a scotch guard pad.
I'll let him tell you about his model 12 that kills them "way out there" with a load that I have never heard of, some kind of blend.

Didn't know if you had seen this yet or not. If the link works, check it out. You'll like it. Winky shows you how to run the call...and shares a bit more "wisdom", as well. Love this guy!