Purple paint- brush on or spray paint?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Have to help a Friend Mark land and want to know the best way to do it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boomer

Twelve Pointer
I tried both ways. Spray cans are way easier , if you have a long walk you can put them in backpack and go. If you decide to use brush and cans get the quart cans. If you fall or drop them you only lose a quart , not most of a gallon. The brush or roller is messy too.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The only advantage I've found to the roller vs spray is that the roller is more permanent and less expensive. It's more cumbersome and more work, but that's your choice.

Jett

Ten Pointer
I have never really liked this law. The implication is if your land is not marked, the public has access to it. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

greenoakl

Six Pointer
Don’t waste your time or money. Signs don’t work and paint doesn’t work. If someone wants to trespass they are gonna do it no matter what. They just don’t care.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Don’t waste your time or money. Signs don’t work and paint doesn’t work. If someone wants to trespass they are gonna do it no matter what. They just don’t care.
That may be true, but

1-everybody will be sure they are trespassing

2-and I know this from personal experience, when you catch the piece of crap on camera and take it to court he will be found guilty of trespassing if your land is marked and your cameras are in a easy to I'd location with time and date stamps.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
I've painted 100's of miles of boundary using a draw knife, 1 gallon can and a brush. Used to buy the boundary paint from forestry suppliers because it is thick and does not slosh around when I'm walking and navigating thickets. But, as I've gotten older I have found it much easier to use spray cans. I still shave the areas to be painted as it will hold paint longer. However, spray paint will not last as long as brush on paint.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
2-and I know this from personal experience, when you catch the piece of crap on camera and take it to court he will be found guilty of trespassing if your land is marked and your cameras are in a easy to I'd location with time and date stamps.

THIS is the reason to mark boundaries, so LE can easily do their job.

ALSO, paint YOUR SIDE of the boundary so your guests/family know where it is and they don't trespass on neighbors.

Invest in CHEAP $7/gal mis-mixed paint from Lowes/Home Depot and have them add colors to change to purple, then use 3" rollers. The ONLY time to shop at Home Depot, since they are owned by anti-gun Hechingers.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
buy some cheap flashing and use a roller to paint it, when it's dry roll it back up and tote it and a pocket full of aluminum nails along with a razor knife. It lasts a long time and repainting is super easy as opposed to tree bark.
We used to post about 1600 acres, it took awhile and this was our best solution
Paint will last 5 + years before needing touchup and you can post a whole bunch of pines with a couple of hundred feet of flashing.
This was a directive from one of the timber companies we leased from..they used paint on trees to mark with and didn't allow us to paint a tree directly. This was way cheaper than any metal posted sign and can be seen 360 degrees

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
So the timber company is okay with nails in their trees? Also it would seem to be easy for a trespasser to remove several of them and when caught on your land, say they didn't see any markers.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
So the timber company is okay with nails in their trees? Also it would seem to be easy for a trespasser to remove several of them and when caught on your land, say they didn't see any markers.
As long as we used aluminum nails, our timber company was fine with it. As far as folks tampering with markers, well, that's just one of the games we play. Always have, always will

RJ1

Ten Pointer

We allow the use of aluminum nails for posted signs on land we lease to clubs as do most timber companies, we also require that some posted signs must be used in conjunction with purple paint and no purple paint is allowed on our pretty yellow gates.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would think pulling off nailed purple flashing is easier than removing paint from bark.
I had them remove posted signs from our gates, but I've never had them take the wrapped aluminum flashing off the tree. Granted painting the tree removes that option but one of the timber companies didn't allow their trees to be painted. The other two didn't have a problem with it but we used the flashing trick on their property as well, it just works good.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
BTW..most timber companies don't let you girdle or debark any of their trees unless it's a hardwood in a pine plantation. So painting over bark doesn't last that long or show as well as the flashing idea.
If you are using flashing make sure you don't overlap it and nail through both edges, that will eventually girdle the tree. You can wrap it all the way around and nail both sides where the tree can still grow the timber company will appreciate the effort.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Very helpful guys. We are heading up this weekend and will use spray paint it looks like. Just picked up 8 cans. Not sure how long that will go but we will see and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
buy some cheap flashing and use a roller to paint it, when it's dry roll it back up and tote it and a pocket full of aluminum nails along with a razor knife. It lasts a long time and repainting is super easy as opposed to tree bark.
We used to post about 1600 acres, it took awhile and this was our best solution
Paint will last 5 + years before needing touchup and you can post a whole bunch of pines with a couple of hundred feet of flashing.
This was a directive from one of the timber companies we leased from..they used paint on trees to mark with and didn't allow us to paint a tree directly. This was way cheaper than any metal posted sign and can be seen 360 degrees

I like this idea, been painting trees and hanging posted signs for a long time. I'll be putting this to use. 👍