Purchasing Vacant Land Advice

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you have access to equipment getting rid of a house isn’t that hard. It isn’t any different then getting rid of problem animals

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
after you remove any hazardous materials from it. They wouldn't burn a house on a piece of land that my parents bought because it appeared to have asbestos siding on it. My mother wouldn't do what I told them. Just don't let the fire department know when their training is going to start. Nothing like a 2 am training session in the middle of the week.
This is the best thing I’ve read in a month 😂😂😂

Lonehunter

Six Pointer
It also has creek frontage on a stocked trout stream, it's located near a river, a state park and a national forest, so recreational opportunities are endless.
Not sure what NC rules are, but some states require public access if the streams are stocked by the state. May want to check into that.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
after you remove any hazardous materials from it. They wouldn't burn a house on a piece of land that my parents bought because it appeared to have asbestos siding on it. My mother wouldn't do what I told them. Just don't let the fire department know when their training is going to start. Nothing like a 2 am training session in the middle of the week.

If they handled their paperwork correctly, then it had asbestos or it didn’t. Appearing to have asbestos isn’t grounds to not burn one. They should’ve pulled samples and had it tested.

And the requirements on what has to be removed/most of the red tape isn’t from the FD; rather it’s EPA and Air Quality.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
As far as the house goes, I would find it hard to do away with a building that doesn't leak. Floors can be shored up and walls removed if needed to make a good workshop/storage building. But if you decide to do away with it you can usually get the local fire department to burn it for training. Sure beats 10K.
In the past that was the case but I can tell with 99.% certainty most rural fire depts will not have the funds (or desire) to do the remediation now required by the epa and Nc dept of insurance in order to do a training burn. We have to get separate insurance rider with sign off before any scheduled burn can occur. Lead,asbestos, and unknowns make it cost prohibitive on most structures.
Just FYIto others and @dc bigdaddy thats called arson if set intentionally to avoid hazmat remediation and mom is smart. If a FD got called we would try to do a primary search for survivors and if someone died it’s a manslaughter charge. I will say if that happened before someone told u or mom there was hazmat it makes it a lot more benign mea Culpea and small fine if discovered.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
If the property is in a location that you can see yourself enjoying buy it. Getting rid of anything undesirable is a small price to pay for having a place of your own.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wife and I spent Sunday walking 3 other properties we had interest in. All 3 got checked off our list. So, we put in an offer on the property we had originally liked the most. Waiting to see if the sellers accept or counter.
Good luck

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
In the past that was the case but I can tell with 99.% certainty most rural fire depts will not have the funds (or desire) to do the remediation now required by the epa and Nc dept of insurance in order to do a training burn. We have to get separate insurance rider with sign off before any scheduled burn can occur. Lead,asbestos, and unknowns make it cost prohibitive on most structures.
Just FYIto others and @dc bigdaddy thats called arson if set intentionally to avoid hazmat remediation and mom is smart. If a FD got called we would try to do a primary search for survivors and if someone died it’s a manslaughter charge. I will say if that happened before someone told u or mom there was hazmat it makes it a lot more benign mea Culpea and small fine if discovered.

If a fireman responding pov gets in a wreck and dies, burner, if caught, can be charged. That is what I've been told. Doesn't have to occur at the fire scene. Same with false fire calls.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Well, after a week of back and forth with the sellers, we have finally settled on a price and agreed on the contingencies. The next several weeks will be a whirlwind I'm sure. Trying to get everything we need done to make sure we are covered on our end. My wife and I did one last walk on the property the other day (before I came down with whatever sickness I have) and decided that this was the one. Fingers crossed, I could be turkey hunting on my own land by April!!! Not much of a turkey hunter, but I will make an exception for this!!

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If a fireman responding pov gets in a wreck and dies, burner, if caught, can be charged. That is what I've been told. Doesn't have to occur at the fire scene. Same with false fire calls.

I don't believe that at all. I worked under a fire chief for 10 years. He always told me that they had to follow the same traffic laws as everyone else even all those fancy fire trucks with those big bright red lights. I don't believe you could make that stick in a court room at all. Not saying that it's not true, just don't believe to be.

Reactions: RJ1

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I don't believe that at all. I worked under a fire chief for 10 years. He always told me that they had to follow the same traffic laws as everyone else even all those fancy fire trucks with those big bright red lights. I don't believe you could make that stick in a court room at all. Not saying that it's not true, just don't believe to be.

I'll see if I can find out for sure. Btw...drivers get in wrecks while following traffic laws. And some people die as a result of a traffic accident in which the driver was following all traffic laws. And you are correct about responders, whether the operator is driving an emergency vehicle or their pov, traffic laws must be obeyed. Now if you, lets say have a red light, you get waved through the intersection, then you get in a wreck while you don't have the right of way, it's on you. Same as traveling too fast. If the responder is going too fast, gets in a wreck, and speed is a contributing factor, the responder can be charged.
Supposed to apply to law enforcement, too. But certain situations allows them to break the traffic laws. So I've been told by a leo. Makes sense.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Well, i thought we had come to an agreement. But the sellers pulled their offer today. Guess they got something better.

Oh well. Saves me some money. Back to the drawing board.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Got it....Good Luck...

I purposely don't get too involved in these discussions simply because once you employ a broker to help you buy a property, other brokers are not supposed to get involved...

timber

Twelve Pointer
Not sure how enforceable it would be if both parties had signed and the seller backed out. Know of similar situation now both signed and buyer payed considerable amount for a survey but the seller has or trying back out. Guess attorneys will have sort it out

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
OVERVIEW

An area of high pressure well to our north has begun to deposit a cool and dry air mass into the region. However, like our other winter event back in December, this air mass is only marginally supportive for winter weather and the area of high pressure feeding into this event is far-removed from the most favorable position to continue to deliver cold, dry air into the storm.

Countering this, a strong upper-level area of low pressure will approach from the west with an attendant area of cold air aloft. If and when precipitation falls hard enough, this cold air will begin to be pulled towards the surface. More than any other type of setup we experience, the exact track and strength of this system will determine who could see heavy snow vs. light rain or drizzle as it is having to produce its own cold air. The placement and intensity of precipitation will largely determine precipitation type and wintry precipitation accumulation at a given location.

POTENTIAL IMPACTS ACROSS THE STATE

Currently, we have the highest confidence that the mountains and foothills will see accumulating snowfall beginning late tomorrow evening into early Friday morning. Surface temperatures in this area may fall to at or below freezing, which could result in some snow-covered roads and hazardous travel.

Our confidence is low for what impacts may occur east of the mountains/foothills. Right now, it appears that precipitation will begin as snow/sleet in much of the Piedmont between midnight and sunrise on Friday before some or all of this area transitions to rain at some point later on Friday afternoon.

There are also indications that a relatively narrow axis of heavier snow may redevelop on Friday evening as the storm begins to pull away, which could result in rapid snow accumulations possibly in northern or northeastern NC, but confidence in the development and location of this feature is very low at this time.

Lastly, we want to make it clear that in this type of event it is very possible that there will be "snow islands" - extremely localized areas of higher snowfall accumulation where a band of heavy snow develops, as compared to other locations just miles away, which could have bare ground.