Pungo bucks

high ridge archer

Four Pointer
Any of you guys that hunt pungo or have hunted it in the past care to share any kill pics? Here are my best ones from down there, love that place and love seeing the deer that come off of it IMG_2456.jpgIMG_2457.jpgIMG_2458.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, used to see them there in the 80's when you hardly saw them elsewhere. It was one of the first places in NC bears would beat you to a deer kill.

Lawnscaper

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Man you got me fired up, I want to go back and Hunt that place again I'll have to break out my bike with a cart and the gun racks on it again since I put it away since turkey season.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I saw one come out of there year before last that would make you do a double take when you saw it. Had i not seen it getting dragged out of the swamp, i wouldnt have believed it was killed in pungo. It was a pretty good deer for anywhere. It was a big heavy 10pt with dark antlers that you couldnt get your fingers to touch around the bases

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
That’s sad. I’ve hunted pd a bunch for around 20yrs and it’s went down hill also.

I reckon it depends on you look at it. If you enjoy “the hunt” and figuring them out, there’s still plenty of that kind to be had. But back in those days, 3-5 guys with pocketfuls of buckshot could simply spread out like you’re pheasant hunting and walk and before lunch, you could usually kill two apiece just jumping them like rabbits. It was a ton of fun.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I love hearing the stories. My dad and his best friend use to kill 5 in a morning and drive back to lake Norman to skin them where the bugs weren’t as bad lol.

They use to ride bikes in and strap the deer in child seats on the back of the bikes. I’ll send some pics next time I’m home.

I’ve never hunted there but would love to give it a whirl maybe late season.

Side note. My dad doesn’t go back to hunt there Bc the bugs “ate him alive”.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
552eec7c87eb2633619e03df75b80e5b.jpg

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Killed a,many down there,might take my boys down there,in October, let them see what thick brush looks like.Are the deer still semi tame like,they used to be.?