Punch ammo and self defense

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I carry a variety of handguns for self defense depending on what I'm wearing and possibly where I'm going. Most of the time I carry a 38 but I do on occasion carry a 22mag. Federal s new punch line has caught my attention but so far I've not seen any 22mag to try out. Anyone else shot any of the punch line? Just read this story about the 22lr might have to get some to try out. Might help me get my wife more interested in shooting a handgun if it's a 22 without much kick.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Flat Nose Hard Cast. Certainly not a new concept, but it is for rimfire.

If it performs, I hope it makes it longer than whatever it was that I can't remember because it was gimmicky.:unsure:

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Having challenge with the link but found a CCI Stinger vs Fed Punch comparison on 704 Tactical. I bought a box from Midway to try them out. $9+ change/ 50.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I can’t think of a single .22 round in any configuration I’d want to tangle with.

That said, these days I really want to carry less and less with/on me in general, not speaking solely my gat.

Makes a 22 configuration seem more and more appealing. Never thought it wasn’t TBH, just never carried one. 🤔

I’d probably have just slapped some mini mags or stingers in.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Flat Nose Hard Cast. Certainly not a new concept, but it is for rimfire.

If it performs, I hope it makes it longer than whatever it was that I can't remember because it was gimmicky.:unsure:
I agree with the FN hard cast design, it is proven for low velocity cartridges. I read a similar, yet different approach for the .22 WMR. The testing showed the the CCI with TMJ did expand and still penetrated well enough to actually be considered for a personal defense round for those that wanted to carry a .22 Mag.

The CCI TMJ do cycle well in my PMR 30.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anyone else shot any of the punch line? Just read this story about the 22lr might have to get some to try out.
Yes, in the .22LR version I carry them in my S&W 43c, alternated with Stingers, every other chamber. The cylinder of 8 holds 4 Stingers and 4 Federal Punch. All I tested were at 5 yards to see if POI was same as the Stingers, and it was, so I felt comfortable mixing them.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can’t think of a single .22 round in any configuration I’d want to tangle with.

That said, these days I really want to carry less and less with/on me in general, not speaking solely my gat.

Makes a 22 configuration seem more and more appealing. Never thought it wasn’t TBH, just never carried one. 🤔

I’d probably have just slapped some mini mags or stingers in.
I have carried a .22 magnum personally and professionally thousands of hours simply as a backup for a backup and the ease of concealment. I wouldn't want to take a round from the business end from one.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I have carried a .22 magnum personally and professionally thousands of hours simply as a backup for a backup and the ease of concealment. I wouldn't want to take a round from the business end from one.
You and one other individual in particular came to mind when I saw this thread

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve tried a few different loads in my .22 WMR for defense purposes.

I’ve tried these
D0124BEC-56D8-46C4-8EF7-A9A3549950F1.jpegBC544FDC-A1F6-49EF-83D2-DC3508D5FCAE.jpeg37CE8B14-24DD-41F0-86BA-FD6FAAE32E50.jpeg176BE406-D1E4-4719-BF2E-E3425D7EACE4.jpeg
Out of these, I personally prefer the Speer Gold Dot. Followed by the Federal PUNCH. The Winchester Defender is certainty adequate, but accuracy wasn’t nearly as good in my revolver. My revolver absolutely refused to shoot the Hornady Critical Defense with any semblance of reasonable accuracy.

I also tried another Winchester load, it’s the PDX1 Defender. Lower velocity than the one posted above, 1250 Fps I believe. But I haven’t found enough of it to really test it out much.

As far as terminal performance, the only one I’ve tried on a live target has been the Gold Dot. It punched a respectable hole through a chicken thieving coyote at about 10-12 yards. And it has delivered the coup de gras to a few deer. Including one that would have certainly survived it’s leg wound. All but the leg wound received one to the dome at a few feet. The leg wound took one to the chest at around 25 feet or so as it was coming to its feet. It made another couple bounds and keeled over. Damage to the heart was considerable and final within moments.

Reactions: DRS

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Almost forgot about these. I ordered some of these awhile back, but I’ve yet to test them. 26071616-BA1C-4CDE-B5FC-FF0567F0AC25.jpegAlso, this is the lower velocity Winchester load I mentioned in my other post.839F1F97-CC54-43B8-8E4C-907CE39C79C8.jpeg

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Almost forgot about these. I ordered some of these awhile back, but I’ve yet to test them. View attachment 110100Also, this is the lower velocity Winchester load I mentioned in my other post.View attachment 110101
Did they chrony the pistol ammo out of a pistol length barrel, considering its intent?

Just curious, because I have a bunch of the defender ammo and its trajectory past 100 yrds is similar to the 1800fps hunting/varmint ammo I have shot.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did they chrony the pistol ammo out of a pistol length barrel, considering its intent?

Just curious, because I have a bunch of the defender ammo and its trajectory past 100 yrds is similar to the 1800fps hunting/varmint ammo I have shot.
I couldn’t tell you on the chrono deal.

I know that the Gold Dots do not have similar trajectory to varmint ammo when fired from a rifle.