Pull Behind Brush Mower

DarrinG

Anyone with experience with the different brands/models of pull behind rough cut mowers? Considering one to mow field edges and some overgrown areas...some on a hillside. I've looked online at the Swisher models as well as the DR models. The DR models are quite a bit higher in price than the Swishers. Are they that much better?
Thanks in advance!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The swisher are just for grass. The DR will mow heavier stuff. If you want one that will mow anything you can run over with an atv you need a homemade one like this.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
DR makes a great mower. Had one of there brush mowers and it was well designed and build to last. It would cut 2 inch trees with no problem.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
NCCatfisher: You up for hire. LOL. I need that one to cut a trail thru my lease. Last year we tried it with a tractor and a regular bushhog. We wound up just riding over most of the trees. By the time my cousin found his way thru that mess I think I had been called about every name in the book. LOL. I will be going over there soon with my chain saw to finish the job. I dread it because we were there last week end looking for sheds. We didn't find any sheds but we sure found enough ticks. I couldn't believe how many ticks were out in such cold weather.

DarrinG

The swisher are just for grass. The DR will mow heavier stuff. If you want one that will mow anything you can run over with an atv you need a homemade one like this. [/URL]

Nice! And where could a lowly small-time farmer get one like that?

boomer

Twelve Pointer
Some Swishers are mowers and some are brush cutters . I have a swisher brush cutter that keeps trails and power line mowed just fine. If my 4 wheeler can drive over it the cutter will cut it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice! And where could a lowly small-time farmer get one like that?
Buy a 4' bush hog and a 16HP motor and start converting. It is pretty simple really once you figure out the correct pulleys to get 540 rpm at the gearbox.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When you take a pic of you car do you take one of it dirty or clean, good gosh? Do you want me to go down there now and take one of it now with some grass and limbs one it and some scratches on it since I have repainted it?

DarrinG

Swisher indeed makes a brush cutter model as well as a finish mower model.
The Swisher is almost half the $$$ of a DR model, but I talked to a guy the other day who has a walk-behind DR brush cutter and he had had it for 4-5 years and had nothing but good to say about it. Said it was tough as nails and cut anything it could run over.

entropy

Twelve Pointer
I had a swisher, not the brush cutter model. Worked good for mowing my 2 acres, with a 3-wheeler at the time1

Harpoon

*Thread had some good info in it so bumping so as to not start another.

Anyone else seen any new models for pull behind brush cutters?

Any input on any of the push models models like PECO?

Then I saw some tracked, (minis) stand on back, self propelled models with a rotary mulcher on front ...anyone with any experience on these?

Seems like there are now new lines of equipment mfg's out advertising "brush cutting" models for vineyards, trails, shooting lanes, etc.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly if you are going to be cutting and small trees one of those munchers will be better. I had a swisher brush cutter and it did ok but was not the greatest for small trees. Worked great for weeds and briars and saplings. Those pull behind cutters are kind of like pull behind disc for ATVs. They will work but there are better tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EGrdneck

Just use a tractor and a bush hog. I use mine frequently on 3-4 inch sapplings....put a light grade bolt in where the pto shaft meets the gearbox. Also doesn't hurt to add an alum. Keyway so you don't bust the box.