Public Land Woodcock

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
My mountain Fox Squirrel hunt did not happen cause of the 8 inches of snow where we were going so I was sitting home after lunch and thought I have time to drive to a spot down east and I will have 2 hours or so to hunt. Pete wanted to go so off we went. Figured we would shoot whatever he could jump. Squirrels, rabbits or wooodcock. Pete is a decent rabbit jump dog, a decent squirrel dog and he is very good at finding downed birds. We jumped 1 wooodcock but I was not ready. After another hour of trying to kick up rabbit or spot a Fox Squirrel (we were east of 95) we jumped another wooodcock. 1 shot and I saw it go down. I looked but could not findit but Pete picked it up......a good few hours tromping through the woods.
20210109_163955.jpg
20210109_163313.jpg

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have heard it said that a good dog in the woodcock/grouse woods is every bit as valuable after the shot as before.

If you've ever tried to find one laying dead in the thick woods with their natural camouflage, you might agree.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
^^this....Pete like a said earlier is good at Rabbits and squirrels , birds not so much before the shot but he is really good at finding them. He is a Jack of all trades , master of none kinda dog. Our goal yesterday was just get out and have some fun and exercise while looking for quail , woodcock maybe a dove or rabbit and squirrel. we only saw a few woodcock but we had a good time.