Public Land Challenge Pisgah National Forest Oct. 22-24, 2021

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Good Lordy what an awesome weekend !!

Shot some good squirrels, and a few folks were able to get their first ever squirrel.
🐿🐿🐿🐿

Heard a good bear race.
The dogs jumped on one exactly where you saw all them bears from your tree @pcbuckhunter !!!
Met some new folks @Brad_Colvin, Mrs Yancey and got to see my cousin @SKnox....we ate darn good and enjoyed a good campfire. 🔥

Beautiful weather made for a perfect time.
Anybody that missed this weekend missed a great time.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good Lordy what an awesome weekend !!

Shot some good squirrels, and a few folks were able to get their first ever squirrel.
🐿🐿🐿🐿

Heard a good bear race.
The dogs jumped on one exactly where you saw all them bears from your tree @pcbuckhunter !!!
Met some new folks @Brad_Colvin, Mrs Yancey and got to see my cousin @SKnox....we ate darn good and enjoyed a good campfire. 🔥

Beautiful weather made for a perfect time.
Anybody that missed this weekend missed a great time.
That place is covered in bears.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
It was a great weekend. That canopy is still mostly green and pretty thick. Found a new white oak flat up in that higher country. Wife and I gonna go back soon and hike up early and get after em again. Unlike the rainy ML weekend, I never went to the main road to get on my phone. Found new promising buck sign. Heard a bear woof, got a turkey to shock gobble to my squirrel call, and seen the biggest piliated woodpecker I’ve ever seen. Wife and the boy had a great time and that’s all that I was really concerned about. Good people and I’m ready for the next one . Left new phone in the truck all weekend so I didn’t bust it but I pinned a few things on the garmin and I have more of that higher elevation area mapped out. Bout halfway to the top my wife and i sat down to drink some water and I had a squirrel barrel off a tree stump into a laurel that I had my feet propped up on. Had us laughing pretty good. Like @Ol Copper says …it’s like Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation …. “SQUIRRRRRRRREL!”. That sucker left the county in the time it took me to grab my gun

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
This was one of the most fun weekends I've had in a LONG time. I laughed at some of ol coppers stories so hard my ribs are hurting. Anyone on the fence about attending one of these hunts all I can say is do it. This community truly has some great guys and gals in it.
Brad it was really good to meet you. Thanks for making the trip. We had some good laughs. Every time my wife blasts a tree trunk and knocks a squirrel off…whether it dies or not…I will always think of you and your grandad. I have a feeling we will share more laughs around a campfire during turkey season.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Also thanks again to ol copper and turkeyfoot for taking Caleb under their turkey wings and putting him on the squirrels. He talked about the hunt the whole way from camp back to his moms in Tennessee
I can guarantee me and I'm copper got the most out of it was a pleasure and thrilled see young fella burn some powder and got to practice his skinning skills. Nothing like smile on kids face

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
This was one of the most fun weekends I've had in a LONG time. I laughed at some of ol coppers stories so hard my ribs are hurting. Anyone on the fence about attending one of these hunts all I can say is do it. This community truly has some great guys and gals in it.
Get them hands healed up before spring blood pact in effect come March😁 glad you made it soo much tirkey talk a normal person woulda got drive crazy

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Bout halfway to the top my wife and i sat down to drink some water and I had a squirrel barrel off a tree stump into a laurel that I had my feet propped up on. Had us laughing pretty good. Like @Ol Copper says …it’s like Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation …. “SQUIRRRRRRRREL!”. That sucker left the county in the time it took me to grab my gun
That was while I was still huffing and puffing climbing up the mountain behind them. I was really slow and I think it was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I climbed a mountain and hiked down the other side for the first time ever in my life and I'm proud. My grandmother was a tough lady from the mountains of eastern Kentucky, but I'm a flatlander from the Tidewater of Virginia, so I'm a wreck, aches and pains everywhere and some black bruises, but I had a great time! I know I'm more on the quiet side a lot around the campfire (recuperating from being wrecked climbing a mountain! :LOL: ), but I enjoyed all y'all's stories. I'd be happy to join y'all anytime there's a get together for a squirrel hunt or a trout fishing trip.

And I shot a squirrel yesterday!!! After climbing up that mountain! I went up the trail a ways while @YanceyGreenhorn and his wife were after a couple squirrels and I heard something take off near me in the woods when one of them took a shot at one of the squirrels they were chasing. I went off the trail into the woods and sat by a tree. All of a sudden, I was surrounded by squirrels up in the trees, barking at each other or me or both. The only one I had a good shot at was behind me up in a high branch a ways away, but I could see it good through my scope. I couldn't get a good shot sitting down, so I slowly stood up, aimed, and took the shot. The squirrel dropped like a stone. Took me a bit of time to find it, but I found it, and by then I could hear @YanceyGreenhorn calling for me, since he and Mrs. Yancey didn't know where I was. So I went back down the trail to them and we hiked down the mountain to their truck and went back to the campsite. I thought going up the mountain was hard, but it was nothing compared to going down the mountain for me. It was super hard and I was super slow, but I finally got down to the bottom.

It was so nice getting to meet your wife, by the way, @YanceyGreenhorn , and I really enjoyed hunting with both of you! And it was nice meeting you, @Brad_Colvin and listening to you and @turkeyfoot becoming blood turkey brothers! :LOL: @Ol Copper, you are a master storyteller! I'm still laughing about some of your stories!

Big thank you to @turkeyfoot for the squirrels you gave me when I was leaving this morning. I'm planning to fix them tomorrow. Going to try to find a nice recipe for them. First time eating Appalachian squirrels. Maybe I can find something in that Appalachian cookbook of mine.

Thank y'all for a fabulous weekend!

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Also thanks again to ol copper and turkeyfoot for taking Caleb under their turkey wings and putting him on the squirrels. He talked about the hunt the whole way from camp back to his moms in Tennessee

That was while I was still huffing and puffing climbing up the mountain behind them. I was really slow and I think it was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I climbed a mountain and hiked down the other side for the first time ever in my life and I'm proud. My grandmother was a tough lady from the mountains of eastern Kentucky, but I'm a flatlander from the Tidewater of Virginia, so I'm a wreck, aches and pains everywhere and some black bruises, but I had a great time! I know I'm more on the quiet side a lot around the campfire (recuperating from being wrecked climbing a mountain! :LOL: ), but I enjoyed all y'all's stories. I'd be happy to join y'all anytime there's a get together for a squirrel hunt or a trout fishing trip.

And I shot a squirrel yesterday!!! After climbing up that mountain! I went up the trail a ways while @YanceyGreenhorn and his wife were after a couple squirrels and I heard something take off near me in the woods when one of them took a shot at one of the squirrels they were chasing. I went off the trail into the woods and sat by a tree. All of a sudden, I was surrounded by squirrels up in the trees, barking at each other or me or both. The only one I had a good shot at was behind me up in a high branch a ways away, but I could see it good through my scope. I couldn't get a good shot sitting down, so I slowly stood up, aimed, and took the shot. The squirrel dropped like a stone. Took me a bit of time to find it, but I found it, and by then I could hear @YanceyGreenhorn calling for me, since he and Mrs. Yancey didn't know where I was. So I went back down the trail to them and we hiked down the mountain to their truck and went back to the campsite. I thought going up the mountain was hard, but it was nothing compared to going down the mountain for me. It was super hard and I was super slow, but I finally got down to the bottom.

It was so nice getting to meet your wife, by the way, @YanceyGreenhorn , and I really enjoyed hunting with both of you! And it was nice meeting you, @Brad_Colvin and listening to you and @turkeyfoot becoming blood turkey brothers! :LOL: @Ol Copper, you are a master storyteller! I'm still laughing about some of your stories!

Big thank you to @turkeyfoot for the squirrels he gave me when I was leaving this morning. I'm planning to fix them tomorrow. Going to try to find a nice recipe for them. First time eating Appalachian squirrels. Maybe I can find something in that Appalachian cookbook of mine.

Thank y'all for a fabulous weekend!
Don't forget a pic of them cooked up to make us hungry

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I believe the boys squirrels (minus this morning's ) ended up with Kris B
They did. Hope I'll do y'all proud with a good recipe.

The boy didn't do bad skinning that squirrel for me (I helped him some, but he did most of it), but we definitely needed supervision from some experienced squirrel skinners! :LOL:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
By golly you aint kidding. Still quite a bit of nuts in there in spots. Found some white oaks that were still dropping.
If it weren’t for the durn bears, that would be a heckuva squirrel/deer spot. The deer and squirrels both were using in there, but are nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
If it weren’t for the durn bears, that would be a heckuva squirrel/deer spot. The deer and squirrels both were using in there, but are nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

It was so cool man. Them guys came up thru there with that set of dogs and we were talking about 2 weeks ago.
I pointed them to the spot where the tree was across the road and soon as they rounded the corner in that spot...bam !!
I mean that exact spot

Them dogs lit that mountain up.
Never did hear if they got it.
They crossed back over into Wilson Creek real quick and the race was on.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It was so cool man. Them guys came up thru there with that set of dogs and we were talking about 2 weeks ago.
I pointed them to the spot where the tree was across the road and soon as they rounded the corner in that spot...bam !!
I mean that exact spot

Them dogs lit that mountain up.
Doesn’t surprise me in the least. I’ve never seen that amount of bears or bear sign in one spot.