Public Land Challenge Pisgah National Forest Oct. 22-24, 2021

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If i didn't mention it I'm gonna wrap some orange around a tree at camp site that way if some one shows up and no one there don't have wonder if in right place probably a orange hunt vest will work
These spots are 1st come so that's why the Orange no guarantee which will be open but will be on that rd and its all dead end so just find the orange vest on tree it'll be easily visible as you drive by

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
So here is a plan gonna be camping on upper creek this coming wknd I'll be there Fri by noon till Sun night or Mon morning. Directions are exactly same as muzzloader hunt except if coming north on 181 don't turn left onto steele creek but go may be 2 seconds further will see on right mile marker 17 take that right onto forest rd 982 go till cross 1 lane bridge that goes over upper creek and take immediate left onto forest rd 197 go till end gonna try get last spot on right I'll hang up some orange flag tape so you'll k ow in right place. When turn off 181 there is few feet pavement before turns gravel go slow as there is drop off at transition from pave to gravel. No way to get lost forest rd 982 is gated off so if miss left turn after bridge you gotta come back there is open gate at forest rd 197. If this doesn't work for anyone let me know figured there is lot land down there to squirrel hunt so don't have drive far or at all can hunt right out of camp. No rain this time temps upper 60s day mid 40s night will be cool will have fire.
Good info Brian. I was gonna say the best landmark is when you turn onto forest road 982 going 40 mph and tear the front end outta the truck when you hit that bump! 😂 Once that happens you know you’re getting close

Last edited:

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I'm planning to leave here at 5:00 AM on Friday and get there hopefully about 8:30 AM at the latest and be ready to hit the squirrel woods as soon as I've set up my tent.

Me and the Corolla will be on the lookout for that crazy drop-off bump. I'll drive slow once I'm on the Forest Service road.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm planning to leave here at 5:00 AM on Friday and get there hopefully about 8:30 AM at the latest and be ready to hit the squirrel woods as soon as I've set up my tent.

Me and the Corolla will be on the lookout for that crazy drop-off bump. I'll drive slow once I'm on the Forest Service road.
If you stay to the right, the drop off isn’t quite as bad.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Not gonna be able to make this weekend hunt. Sorry. Hope to get the next one. Missing a great time with y’all.

I now have to work Friday/Saturday and we’ve got wife’s birthday dinner Sunday night.

hope y’all killem up.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Not gonna be able to make this weekend hunt. Sorry. Hope to get the next one. Missing a great time with y’all.

I now have to work Friday/Saturday and we’ve got wife’s birthday dinner Sunday night.

hope y’all killem up.
Bummer sorry to miss ya but understandable. Make sure to post pics of good food in then other thread after her bday

KennyZeDevilDog

Eight Pointer
This is only the second one I’ve attended and but it’s only been 3 weeks . However I’ve got a schedule now that’s more conducive to it. Some of us have discussed doing it as much as possible
That tracks. I'm trying to go to one but working a gas station that's low staff puts a damper on gatherings. Hopefully I'll be finding a job with a better schedule here soon, though.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
That tracks. I'm trying to go to one but working a gas station that's low staff puts a damper on gatherings. Hopefully I'll be finding a job with a better schedule here soon, though.
I know a lot of trades are looking for people including entry level stuff. Electrical, plumbing, carpentry etc. it’s a good way to learn skills and get on a day time Mon-Fri schedule. Might be worth looking into

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Trout will be brined and smoked tomorrow. My much better half will whip up her smoked trout cream cheese dip and have it ready to rock
I'm making buttermilk biscuits. Not sure how to bake them at a campsite, so I'll be baking them very early tomorrow and bringing them along for y'all. Wish I could contribute more, but it's all I could think of. And I ran out of that awesome dent cornmeal, or I'd have fixed y'all some cornbread. 🙁