Public Land Challenge Pisgah National Forest Oct. 22-24, 2021

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Thought I would go ahead and start a thread for the squirrel hunt some of us are planning for the weekend of Oct. 22-24, 2021 in Pisgah National Forest. It will be in the same area as the muzzleloader hunt Oct. 8-10 was, but on Forest Service Road 982. @YanceyGreenhorn said people were thinking of getting there around noon on Friday.

I was able to get Friday off, so I can drive up early that day and pitch my tent in daylight instead of dark. Can't wait to squirrel hunt with y'all!

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
@KrisB Hope your trigger fingers itchy cuz we will def be shooting!

I may get there earlier Friday but yeah definitely Friday while it’s light out. I’ll have a pistol, the scoped ruger that @pcbuckhunter lent me, and my all time favorite....my wife’s pink camo youth 20ga mossberg. Let’s pray for cooler temps

KrisB

Ten Pointer
@KrisB Hope your trigger fingers itchy cuz we will def be shooting!
It is! Now I just need to give the .22 lr some TLC for that pitting and we'll both be ready to roll!

my all time favorite....my wife’s pink camo youth 20ga mossberg.
I'm looking forward to meeting your wife! It will be the first time I've ever gone hunting with another lady. Should be really nice! :)
Let’s pray for cooler temps
Sending prayers.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
My kid has a tball game at 6 on the 22nd and I work 23-24. I still think I might ride up in the AM on 22nd and hunt a little. Maybe get to meet some of y’all before I head back down the Mtn. It’s only about 45 min drive for me.

This damn work schedule I agreed to is killing my hunting!!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My kid has a tball game at 6 on the 22nd and I work 23-24. I still think I might ride up in the AM on 22nd and hunt a little. Maybe get to meet some of y’all before I head back down the Mtn. It’s only about 45 min drive for me.

This damn work schedule I agreed to is killing my hunting!!
Been there especially when wknd work is involved missed lot things throughout years and keeps you hopping but its a living. hope you can make it

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Alright don't twist my arm to hard . I was just looking at the calendar and the wife said she wanted to go somewhere before I move to bear camp . I figured a tent trip will be perfect, especially if it's raining .
Extended forcast shows perfect fall mtn weather for that wknd so I'd expect 3 days ahead time flash flood warnings and strong gusty winds

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm tentatively planning on attending this. My wife is having surgery this Friday and if she has recovered to the point that I feel comfortable leaving her overnight I will be there Saturday afternoon after I get off work. I really hope everything works out.
Hope You can make it got very strong feeling you'd bring a bird tale or 3 I'd enjoy hearing

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Still working out the details but there’s a good chance I’ll bear hunt that Friday and meet y’all first thing Saturday morning for the hunt and set up camp later and stay Saturday night. If we can get one killed Friday I’ll bring a fresh piece of bear meat for camp .

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Make sure you get some good freezer burn on it first and then cut off the freezer burn before you bring it!
I'm kidding, @YanceyGreenhorn, but I do wish I'd gotten to try the full goodness of that bear shoulder you fixed last Saturday. I went to sleep too early. I'll just have to use your recipe on squirrel meat if I can slay some squirrels this season. :)

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I'm kidding, @YanceyGreenhorn, but I do wish I'd gotten to try the full goodness of that bear shoulder you fixed last Saturday. I went to sleep too early. I'll just have to use your recipe on squirrel meat if I can slay some squirrels this season. :)
Thatd be an interesting take on squirrel meat for sure. And you’ve learned your lesson….nothing good ever comes from going to bed early in an unruly hunt camp that has coolers overflowing with food and grog

KrisB

Ten Pointer
22lr pistols
Could I try out one of your .22 lr pistols? Like just shoot it a couple times at a paper target in camp to see how it shoots and see if I like it? People have said I should get one for trapping, but I haven't had the opportunity to try one out. I could fix one of those Hank Shaw recipes for you to try in exchange or something. Or give you some .22 lr pistol bullets if I could find any here.

Thoughts?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Could I try out one of your .22 lr pistols? Like just shoot it a couple times at a paper target in camp to see how it shoots and see if I like it? People have said I should get one for trapping, but I haven't had the opportunity to try one out. I could fix one of those Hank Shaw recipes for you to try in exchange or something. Or give you some .22 lr pistol bullets if I could find any here.

Thoughts?
Or you could not give me anything and just shoot it 😎