Public Land Challenge Oct. 8-10 2021 Pisgah National Forest

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
My normal work schedule is Sun night to Thursday night. My goal is to be off Thursday night. Work Wednesday night into Thursday morning. Either come home and nap, or head out to camp and nap there lol. Have all day Friday and Saturday to hunt. Leave sometime Sunday to get some sleep and go back to work. Heck if I play my cards right, I could even get some evening hunting in on Thursday.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My normal work schedule is Sun night to Thursday night. My goal is to be off Thursday night. Work Wednesday night into Thursday morning. Either come home and nap, or head out to camp and nap there lol. Have all day Friday and Saturday to hunt. Leave sometime Sunday to get some sleep and go back to work. Heck if I play my cards right, I could even get some evening hunting in on Thursday.
Sounds like a plan!
Just as long as you put my tent up for me before you hit the woods!

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
Bumping this back to the top. It's almost August and October will be here before we know it. All are invited. It would be a good time for some new hunters/members to put some boots on the ground and maybe knock down a deer or two.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
@Hunting Nut asked me in the Wild Recipes forum if I'm free Oct. 8-10 for some people that might need something to eat. :ROFLMAO: In all seriousness, I'm usually off the weekends, and I would love to join y'all even though I won't be deer hunting. I'd be happy to do some cooking, as long as I could figure out cooking over a fire instead of a stovetop. I have a one-person REI tent and really basic stuff for camping (sleeping pads, sleeping bag, flashlight, etc).

What do y'all think?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
@Hunting Nut asked me in the Wild Recipes forum if I'm free Oct. 8-10 for some people that might need something to eat. :ROFLMAO: In all seriousness, I'm usually off the weekends, and I would love to join y'all even though I won't be deer hunting. I'd be happy to do some cooking, as long as I could figure out cooking over a fire instead of a stovetop. I have a one-person REI tent and really basic stuff for camping (sleeping pads, sleeping bag, flashlight, etc).

What do y'all think?
We’d thought you’d never ask! Everyone is welcome. I believe @Ol Copper said he might bring a cook top. @turkeyfoot will be holding down the fort and doing some squirrel scouting, which is up your alley if I remember correctly. Besides, one trip to the mountains this fall might get ya excited to make a return trip to hunt later on. Should be good with your basic stuff. Long as you can keep warm and stay dry you’ll be good.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I bid on a new job at work and got it.
My days off will be changing and all my scheduled vacation is null and void.:(
I will be submitting vacation for this event so I am planning on making the trip.
I never hunt up that way. I know it's a ML hunt. Is it either sex up there in ML ?
I have some cast iron pans and a dutch oven.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I bid on a new job at work and got it.
My days off will be changing and all my scheduled vacation is null and void.:(
I will be submitting vacation for this event so I am planning on making the trip.
I never hunt up that way. I know it's a ML hunt. Is it either sex up there in ML ?
I have some cast iron pans and a dutch oven.
Yes, either sex

jcannon

Twelve Pointer

What do y'all think?
We would be happy if you could come

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

What do y'all think?
Its not cold even there that time year look to rough estimate of upper 60s low 70s day and upper 40s mid 50s at night can swing either way but that's close. As far as cooking well if I gotta do less of it everyone woyld be happy I bird water stirring a pot is my special skill

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

What do y'all think?
Come on!!!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I still plan on joining in on this. Since I am going back to the hospital, that screws up some of my weekends. But I should be able to show up for at least some portion of the weekend.

@KrisB you got all the right stuff to survive a couple nights in the woods. Don’t worry about cooking over a fire, I’m sure someone on here has a nice cooktop they can bring. I know I’ve got a couple! And it’s a good place to squirrel hunt. Season won’t be in yet but you can scout some spots. There is some dang good fishing in the area, too.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Depending on the permit if its western you'd still be close
Almost all my deer hunting experience is middle of the state, including all the permits I’m in even though I live in WNC just never had anyone to really help me out and get me started in the mountains. That’s one of the reasons I’m wanting to come. Sounds like lots of knowledgeable people gonna be there willing to pass it along.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Almost all my deer hunting experience is middle of the state, including all the permits I’m in even though I live in WNC just never had anyone to really help me out and get me started in the mountains. That’s one of the reasons I’m wanting to come. Sounds like lots of knowledgeable people gonna be there willing to pass it along.
That's another big reason I'd like to come, too. Could learn a lot just being there. How to fish in the mountains if people will be fishing, how to butcher a deer if people have a successful hunt, etc. Awesome learning opportunity along with good company, I'm sure. :D