Public Fishing/Swim Holes or Bridge to Jump Off of?

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Anyone know of anywhere to take a kid to public access swim hole/fishing spot near Mt. Airy to Winston or E or W of there? Hanging Rock SP is closed and I think only a lake swim area. We like rivers better. A bridge to jump off is always a plus. Thanks in advance.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Any public access trout stocked waters in Stokes or Surrey Co? I'll do a little searching on F&W's website as well. Thx

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I jumped from a high spot once up in the area you're talking about. As a teenager, I went with a couple of guys to "cliff dive" below Belews Creek dam. That water was deep and clear with that emerald green color, and the banks went from 5' up to 40'+ in a gradual incline. You could bite off as much as you wanted, but I didn't dive, and we wore tennis shoes because when you hit that water from that high, it smacks you pretty hard.

But as spinnerbaitor said,
all the fun stuff is illegal these days

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Probably too far for you to travel, but in Raleigh in the Neuse River just upstream from US1/Capital Blvd. bridge there is a steel superstructure crossing the river that kids jump from. And lots of people swim in that section of the river as well.

guyo

Ten Pointer
Take 601 south to 268 go east until you come to the first flashing light take a right on Rockford road , go until you cross the river turn right and you will see the fishing access . they swim there!

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Any of you fellas here that use to jump off the “wall” beside the spillway behind Badin damn. That was the spot in the early 90s. It’s a wonder I’m still alive. Lol

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Haha somebody needs to tell them teenagers at the bridge on Stokes Ferry Rd over there close to Tuckertown
Same here. The bridge downtown Manteo always has people jumping off it.

Use to everyone climbed the rigging on the trawl boats in the harbor and jumped or off the roof of Fisherman's Wharf restaurant but I haven't seen anyone do it in about 10 years. You know people eating at the restaurant loved seeing a butt @$$ naked kid go by the windows.

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
When I fished Badin a lot we would jump off the wall near the trestle just down from the Tuckertown dam. If you're driving you'd basically go to Old Whitney ramp and go up the road a few hundred yards to get there.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Same here. The bridge downtown Manteo always has people jumping off it.

Use to everyone climbed the rigging on the trawl boats in the harbor and jumped or off the roof of Fisherman's Wharf restaurant but I haven't seen anyone do it in about 10 years. You know people eating at the restaurant loved seeing a butt @$$ naked kid go by the windows.
Jumping off the rigging was down right fun.
Im sure those bullsharks were in there back in the day, but the only way i'd jump of the rigging in there today is if the boat was on fire and it was the only way off. There have been some dang big sharks in there in the past 10 years.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Thank you for all the input and glad to bring back memories for some. Got a 13 year old boy I like to get away from video games and a few times a summer we head to the river to swim. We've bridge jumped in many states and often search for them when traveling. Railroad trestles, cliffs, or road ways - if the bridge is low and/or safe enough, police or park rangers know they are not going to stop the masses - often they stop by just to check on everyone. More than likely not legal anywhere but then again way too many rules and laws these days. Can't pass gas without possibly getting fined? Guess it just takes one accident or misfortune and the landowner then faces the legal system so understandable I guess. Unfortunately the courts don't often see things with reason for swimming, rivers, and bridge jumping all are risks and each person should be accountable for their actions and know it's common sense that harm or death might come about. Insurance claims is big business in the US. Anyways, thanks again, good info and it looks like we'll be heading to the river for some swimming in the near future. Enjoy the summer, Happy Fourth, and God bless the USA.

Last edited: